4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Pinion nut - chrysler canada horror story

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012 | 10:03 AM
Longbow
Thumbs down Rear end

Originally Posted by AZdave
Bammit and Longbow - which differential do you have?
Seems many of these pinion nut issues are on the 4x4.
Anyone know if the 4x4s have different axles than 4x2s installed at factory? I'd imagine that the 3.21, 3.55 and 3.92 (LSD) are all pulled from the same "parts bin" regardless of drivetrain.
I have a 4x4 , 3:92 rear end diff and I belive there is no difference in the hardware from a 2 or 4 wheel drive rear end. The rear ends are built and shipped to the factory, so who builds them , I don't know.
I got screwed around because this problem was realitivly new at that time . Even the mechanic that looked at it in Seattle said that "the nut was missing"( in conversation to the Lube shop here ) After that they shut up .
I dropped a lot of hardware on the highway when this happened. A young guy with a pick up stopped and tried to tow me off but couldn't move me . He told me he saw parts everywhere. I think back at that and it was a heroic move on his part .
This is the first time I've been able to talk about this. When I think of Chrysler Canada having to phone the dealership in Seattle and tell them they have a problem with the rear ends , (what a disfunctional bunch in that Corp., in that the left and the right hand don't know what's going on) .The reception intially in Seattle was that the Area District was not going to pay for warranty because they argued to the last day that wrong was right , until the Engineering dept in Canada adivsed them " Yeah we( Chrylser) have a problem with our rear ends .
After forking up 38K and one year into my warranty , what do you think , go figure.

Old 09-20-2012 | 12:59 PM
Bammit
|

I had a 4x4, not sure on the gear ratio, I would check but I sold the truck 2 weeks ago.

Old 09-20-2012 | 01:45 PM
AZdave
Professional

Originally Posted by Bammit
I had a 4x4, not sure on the gear ratio, I would check but I sold the truck 2 weeks ago.
Can't blame you one bit. What did you replace your Ram with?

Last edited by AZdave; 09-20-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-21-2012 | 09:24 PM
Bammit
|

A 2012 Ram 1500 sport fully loaded. They gave me 30 grand for my truck on trade in and I got to swap all my goodies (tonneu cover, side rails, mud flaps, tires etc) to the new truck.

I STILL think they are the best looking truck on the road (tied with the Ford raptor) and I was given a good deal. I walked in for an oil change lost my mind and walked out with a new truck.

And yes its all black.

Quick Reply: Pinion nut - chrysler canada horror story