4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Thinking of Buying Dodge RAM 2012 or 2013

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:41 AM
docargyle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of Buying Dodge RAM 2012 or 2013

I currently have a 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax. While it was in the body shop for a minor repair, I got to drive a loaner which was a 2012 Dodge Ram with the 4.7 engine. I was so impressesd by this model, I am seriously considering a Dodge Ram for my next truck.

I would appreciate forum members' inputs.

I don't haul anything, so I would prefer a 1500 gasser in 4X4. I do want the back up camera, leather seats and a full crew cab model. With that understanding, can I get a 4.7 V8 in a crew or is it the 5.7 Hemi only in the crew? Gear ratio? What have been your likes/dislikes with your Ram?

I'm just starting my research so your collective patience/experience is appreciated.

Last edited by docargyle; 09-18-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Atomic Dog
Professional

You can get a pretty sweet deal on a 12 right now. Other than a little styling changes I see little to make the 13 more attractive unless you are hell bent on getting the more efficient 6 cyl model. As far as 4.7 or 5.7...well most everybody will tell you to just get the 5.7. You get little to no hit on fuel economy and you have the power if you need it.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:48 AM
docargyle

Thanks for the reply, AD.

I am hesitant on the new V6 as I know other FORD owners of the 'Eco Boost' are getting less than the advertised mileage.

Leaning towards a 5.7 crew cab with leather interior and backup camera. Just don't know which style line/pkg to explore yet.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've found over the years that MPG numbers seem to be about the same whether it's the V6, or either of the V8s. Get the Hemi - hands down.

If you plan on owning it after the warranty expires, take it from me, the OHC models are 1000x harder to work on (and require much more time if paying for repairs) than a good, old push-rod engine. Took me 8+ hours to remove the heads off of a 4.7 I had in a Grand Cherokee that would have taken me 2 hours in a push rod engine.

Both OHC models have a history of head issues, especially the new Pentastar V6...

Old 09-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Atomic Dog
Professional

yes I agree. I have had 6cyl trucks and they got the same mileage as a big V8. I am sure it has to do with the motor working so much harder to start the truck moving, and pushing it through the air at speed. In fact going from a V6 Chevy to a 5.7 Dodge has given me only 1/2 mile per gallon less economy while having much better throttle response and not having to wind up the motor to get moving.

Mostly highway mountain switchback driving (slow/fast up and down and curvy): 17.8empg (by hand)
Around town and very little highway (30%) 15.7mpg (by hand)

My chevy would get 15-18mpg depending on the conditions so really no loss. I averaged about 16.5 on most fillups with it.

As far as the V6 pentastar. Two things made me decide to buy a 12 instead of a 13. An abundance of new fuel saving technology made me nervous. A new 8 speed transmission made me leery (I know my 6 speed is also new but at least 6 speed transmissions have been around for a while). The V6 has not been proven behind such a heavy pig like the Ram. I am not convinced it will last -though the chevy 4.3 proved a smaller V6 can go the distance. This is the same reason I avoided Ford and the ecoboost (plus I don't believe ford can build a turbo gas engine that will last).

So with ecoboost owners complaining of poor fuel economy (lots of people getting 17-18 and worse), chevy unable to do much better than Dodge with lackluster motors, and a stout beast of a 5.7 making just shy of 400hp...well the choice was pretty clear. I should say that I am still a Chevy guy that bailed and bought a Dodge because it just seemed the best choice now and today.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:39 PM
docargyle
Thumbs up

Keep em comin. This is the jkinf of real world info I am looking for on this thread.

Sounds like I need to look at a 2012 crew cab with the 5.7 Hemi. Now I have to decide on which trim pkg to get leather seats and the back up camera.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:49 PM
tripleplay100

I just traded in my 2011 Dakota last week for a 2012 Ram SLT 4.7. This truck is hands down the best one I have ever owned!! I did purchase an extended warranty 5year/100K. Good luck with you decesion and keep us posted.

Jay

Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since my truck is a 2009 CC hemi, the 2012 model would not be any different in any real terms, so for me, I would get the 2013 with the 8 speed. Regardless of what people say, the 8 speed is a proven transmission in a new package and the gearing for it will be awesome with the gear spacing much improved over the 6 speed. Another thing that the 2013 will have is a new frame. Hopefully this will fix some of the issues with the current models.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
Since my truck is a 2009 CC hemi, the 2012 model would not be any different in any real terms, so for me, I would get the 2013 with the 8 speed. Regardless of what people say, the 8 speed is a proven transmission in a new package and the gearing for it will be awesome with the gear spacing much improved over the 6 speed. Another thing that the 2013 will have is a new frame. Hopefully this will fix some of the issues with the current models.
The 8-Speed will not be available until spring of next year. They have to run out of the 6-speeds first.

The other thing I would consider is price. The 2012s are going to be much less then the 13s and easier to deal on IMO.

HOWEVER The optional air ride suspension might be worth waiting for :S

IF your set on getting one right away, then I would just stick with the 2012. If you have a time and want to wait, then I might wait till the spring to get into a 2013. I would not get an early 13 if it were me looking...

Old 09-18-2012, 10:42 PM
PokerMunkee
Professional

I would wait for the 8 speed as well. I hear it will be 6-10% better in MPG than the 6 speed, which would mean around 16/22MPG.
Get the Sport if you don't want chrome. If you like chrome, get the Laramie.

You can get a fully loaded Ram Laramie Hemi 4x4 with sunroof, heated/cooled leather seats, heated steering wheel, navigation, backup cam, etc for around $37k.

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 09-18-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Buying Dodge RAM 2012 or 2013