4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Cold air intake. Worth it or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012 | 12:04 PM
moosehunter
|
Professional
Default Cold air intake. Worth it or no?

Hi, a friend of mine is selling is K&N CAI for half price almost a year old for half price, should I any advantage? I have a Superchip programmer but that is the only Mod on a 2010 TRX 4!

What do you think?

Old 09-22-2012 | 12:13 PM
Huntjunkie41
Professional

Not worth it! Get a drop in K&N and it will do the same thing at a fraction of the cost. There is no noticeable HP gain. Maybe a small GPM increase.

Old 09-22-2012 | 04:21 PM
LU229
Banned

MH, your friend is taking it out likely for a good reason.... they`re worthless on a 4th gen dodge.
Go with what thread #2 says... K&N drop in. K&N does breathe good, but they DO let more dirt into your engine though.

Old 09-24-2012 | 11:08 AM
kddsRam
Veteran

I'd buy it. Lots of opinions here on this. The stock intake on the Ram does appear less restrictive than my F150. But no one has any dyno pulls to back up their opinion that I have seen. If they do, then post the before and after pulls. I'd sure like to see the facts on this one.

Old 09-24-2012 | 12:08 PM
bigslick050
All Star

I drove my new 2012 Ram around for about 3000 miles before installing the K&N Cold Air Intake setup I planned on. Dropped in the new setup and was astounished about the difference in power! I could literally feel the truck pulling harder and stronger! Makes our HEMI engines sound way better, gives it a nice whistle. I noticed about 1.8 MPG increase after this upgrade during city driving. My results have been consistent after 7000 miles on the new CAI. I HIGHLY recommend this upgrade, and recommend it the every customer I have that buys a new Ram truck!

Old 09-24-2012 | 09:40 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by kddsRam
I'd buy it. Lots of opinions here on this. The stock intake on the Ram does appear less restrictive than my F150. But no one has any dyno pulls to back up their opinion that I have seen. If they do, then post the before and after pulls. I'd sure like to see the facts on this one.
If K&N is so great, where are the dyno plots from K&N. If K&N has them why don't they publish them?

If you want to believe a car salesman named bigslick050, then by all means buy it. How do you know a car salesman is lying? his lips are moving. Just look at his name BIG SLICK - would you buy a car from a guy whose name is SLICK?

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 09-25-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-24-2012 | 09:56 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Typically you're still within your break-in period when approaching 3k miles, your mileage will still vary somewhat.

I've had the K&N CAI installed since 10k miles, I enjoy a little more noise under the hood too. However it's unrealistic for a CAI to push any noticeable difference on a 6k lbs. truck, especially when the intake manifold CFM rating is somewhat restrictive.

Old 09-26-2012 | 12:52 PM
bigslick050
All Star

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
If K&N is so great, where are the dyno plots from K&N. If K&N has them why don't they publish them?

If you want to believe a car salesman named bigslick050, then by all means buy it. How do you know a car salesman is lying? his lips are moving. Just look at his name BIG SLICK - would you buy a car from a guy whose name is SLICK?

K&N advertises about 15 hp gain and I can def. feel another 15 hp at my disposal. Also Bigslick is my DF user name, my real name is Mopar Matt. Please do not accuse me of lying, I assure you my owning/knowledge of the new 4th gen models allows me to speak the truth. My customers will agree with the results of thier upgraded CAI system.

Old 09-26-2012 | 01:35 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by bigslick050
K&N advertises about 15 hp gain and I can def. feel another 15 hp at my disposal.
That is true - sort of. If you look at the dyno chart that they are using, they are not using peak HP they picked a spot at 4688 RPM. The gains below that look pretty insignificant. Their dyno chart doesn't even go below 2550 RPM

Not sure about you, but I don't run around at 4688 RPM too often - you're only going to feel it if you are wringing the hell out of it not for normal truck usage. The other thing they always fail to mention is that K&N gets most of its increases because their filter medium is so much more porous -which lets in more air and dirt.

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
They do, but they are not what I would call complete
Dyno from a 2009
http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-1561_dyno.pdf

Last edited by oldjeep; 09-26-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-26-2012 | 06:35 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Thanks Old Jeep, I had looked for the K&N plot in the past and did not find it. I still don't believe in the K&N products as I've had them in numerous vehicles and I never noticed any improvements of any type. If anything, I think I got worse gas milage.

BigSlick050, I don't believe it is possible to get a 1.8 MPG improvement with the filter, if that was the case the feds would mandate the use of the filter technology, as they did with TPMs and other technologies. Imagine, Chrylser would be able to claim 15.8 MPGs in the city for the hemi.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake. Worth it or no?