4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

How much fuel is left when the second "low fuel" warning comes up? Tank size?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much fuel is left when the second "low fuel" warning comes up? Tank size?

I've been having a hell of a time trying to figure out the ram fuel gauge.

Of all the cars I've had, the "distance until empty" goes the lowest (down to around 15 miles?) before it says "Low fuel". This is in ADDITION to the "low fuel" light which I THOUGHT turns on around 3 gallons left?

Anyway, so I think I'm REALLY pushing it. I go 10 miles or so beyond the 2nd "low fuel" light, and fill up. Normally tanks hold a tad bit more than their "rating" so I got confused when the pump shut off at 28 gallons. I filled up to 28 1/2 and I overflowed the tank. Now normally I'd never push it, but with a 32 gallon tank, which I thought I ran till practically empty, I was 4 gallons short...

So does the first "low fuel" light go off at 8 gallons left and the 2nd low fuel light at 5 gallons? Or is something fishy with the 32 gallon tank? Or do I have some sort of calibration issue that may require a service repair?

Thanks!

Last edited by Arachnyd; 12-27-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its a different truck, but my Durango gets the low fuel light on at about 6 gallons left, its a 25 gallon tank and usually I let it go til right before it starts warning me, and I put in 19ish gallons. I know our 05 Neons left about 3 gallons. Seems like newer cars/trucks will leave a safety reserve out of the last few gallons so you don't run out and get stranded. One time I did run completely out and put a full 25 in my truck though.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:04 PM
RSDodgelover
Professional

I have no idea how low the tank gets because I rarely let mine get below 1/8th tank. Dodge had issues with the in tank fuel pumps going out if you let them get too low too often. I don't know if it is a cooling or lubrication thing but don't want to takeaway chance on it.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

So I have about 125 miles left when the low fuel light comes on?

Sounds rediculous, but thats good to know...

Old 12-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Not A GM Man.

Put 5 gallons in a spare can and drive it till you run out then you'll know.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:55 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Why do you want to drive and run the fuel down that fair? Qtr tank or less I'm I'm ready for fuel. There is no way to 'calibrate' fuel gauge. You can replace the in tank module and see if its different then the one you take out after filling it. Few hundered bucks to do this. But thats it. No adjustments.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:24 AM
phoboss

are you sure you have a 32 gallon tank? check your window sticker.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by hounddogg
Why do you want to drive and run the fuel down that fair? Qtr tank or less I'm I'm ready for fuel. There is no way to 'calibrate' fuel gauge. You can replace the in tank module and see if its different then the one you take out after filling it. Few hundered bucks to do this. But thats it. No adjustments.
Isnt that the point of having a big fuel tank? I mean why pay extra for a 32 gallon tank if your just going to fill it up when theres 10 gallons left?

I regularly drive 500-1000 miles at a time, and of course I'm going to run it low before I refill. I don't want to run it "empty", but if it holds 32 gallons, I'm going to want to use 30 gallons of it before refueling...

If I know theres 125 miles left thats fine, I'll run it longer- Just trying to figure it out.

Originally Posted by Not A GM Man.
Put 5 gallons in a spare can and drive it till you run out then you'll know.
I think I'm going to do precisely this. Certainly not something I'd want to do often (run it dry), but it may be necessary to clear up this missing 4-5 gallons and understanding fuel capacity.

Originally Posted by phoboss
are you sure you have a 32 gallon tank? check your window sticker.
Checked and confirmed- "32-Gallon Fuel Tank $75"

Old 12-31-2012, 06:12 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

You run it low sooner or later your gonna run out and be stuck. I have been in sections of the this fine country that the economy has taken out 'gas stations ' for mile after mile. I have never hardly ever run one down to a low fuel warinng. Ever. Few monthsy back I did and hit a strech with 5 closed gas statoions in the next 100 miles. South Ga. going into Florida. I hit that SECOND warining your commenting about. I was not thrilled.

Last edited by hounddogg; 01-01-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Back in 2009 our state run Mopar club entered a few vehicles in "The World of Wheels" show. Being the first year of the 4th generation Ram, and only having 1k miles logged, I put my truck in for pure kicks.

To be in the show you needed to run the fuel down to less then an eighth of a tank. When the show was done, the console read 12 miles remaining in fuel tank until empty. The fuel station was directly across the street frim the event, when I filled the tank (until full), it registered just slightly under 22 gallons filled at the pump. So being a 26 gallon tank, it basically is reserving 4 gallons or so. So maybe that will help explain your missing 5 gallons on 32 gallon capacity tank.

Quick Reply: How much fuel is left when the second "low fuel" warning comes up? Tank size?