4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Looking to buy a ram again

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 AM
jswain
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a ram again

Hi all. I used to own a 98 ram 4 x 4 and posted a bit in the second gen section. I had the truck since new, but after 180k miles in a regular cab, 2 transmission failures, and 14 mpg best gas mileage, I was ready for something new and I sold it. I bought an 08 Z71 Sierra ext cab with 52k miles a few months ago. Unfortunately, it has developed a lifter tick and valve clatter under load in the 5k miles I've owned it. It is under warranty, but dealers are no help. I actually swore off gm forever today talking to a service manager today lol. So I'm in the used truck market, looking for a 09 or 10 ram. Which brings me to my questions for you guys:

1. I rarely tow, but is the 4.7 adequate power? I haven't driven one yet, but on paper it looks close to the gm 5.3, which is enough for me.
2. To those that have the hemi, does the MDS suck? I drove one that it transitioned between 4 and 8 cylinders really smooth. The other one, I could hear some spark knock or something similar to what my gm does, but not as bad.
3. Has dodge, fiat or whoever got their auto tranny to last? The 46re in my 98 was not a good transmission to me.
4. Any major or common engine or transmission problems I should be aware of?
5. Is fuel mileage...decent? The gm sounds like a bag of gravel on hills and I'm getting 16 mpg or a little better in 60/40 highway to city driving. Can I expect about the same in a ram 4 x 4? I don't want to drop back down to 13 like I got with the 5.9 magnum.

I'm leaning toward a hemi, but the price in a used truck with the hemi is quite a bit more, and gm's active fuel management has me a bit put off on the whole cylinder deactivation deal. Not interested in buying a tuner to turn it off, so if you guys don't like the MDS, I'll lean toward a 4.7.

Thanks for any responses. I enjoyed the 2nd gen forum, and hopefully I can find a deal on another ram and contribute here. I'll try to keep you posted on the search (man I hate dealing with car salesmen/dealerships).

Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Very few post on different forumns about auto trans failure/repair. Some I think 11s had a TSB for torque converter rattle I believe. I have no clue to a 4.7. But fuel mileage is darn near the same from what I have read. I LIKE my MDS. When in 4 banger mode a little vibration can be felt but the MPG keeps clicking up and up in 4 cyl. mode. I get 17 to 21 mpg. I live semi rural. I'd try to buy new. Price the EXPRESS package thats being offered Great buys on them. Lots of them on the roads. I have 40,000 miles on mine. Had a few TSBs done,one interior bulb replaced and just noticed my d/side mirror doesn't defrost. I ordered a set of tow mirrors off E/bay. Brakes are not half worn. Tires are a little more then half worn. These trucks a a HUGE improvement over a 2nd Gen.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM
RocklandRam
Amateur

I have a 2012 with the 4.7. Prior to that I had the same motor in my 2000 dakota. I also rarely tow. The 4.7 provides plenty of power. So far I am very happy with the truck.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 AM
SeanTG84
Rookie

1. I was in the same situation as you when I was looking at my 2010 Ram; didn't need a Hemi as I don't tow much, but I am sure glad that I got that over the 4.7L. I do believe the 4.7 would offer you plenty of power though as you said its pretty equivalent to the GM 5.3L.

2. I think the MDS is pretty nice to have. I don't know what it helps in terms of exact numbers, but you can definitely tell its working. Transitions smoothly between 8 and 4 cylinders.

3. When looking at my truck, the tranny issues were a concern for me, but after a lot of research, counting calling my mechanic who owns a '11 and '12 Ram 1500, I found there to be very little issues overall with the new transmissions. If you are still concerned, call your local tranny shop and see what they say about it.

4. When buying your Ram, check the spark plugs. The factory plugs are supposed to be changed every 30k and there's 16 of them so it can be a pricey job if they are in 'fair' condition. But also saying that, I have higher mileage Ram and my plugs look great. Just had them professionally checked. Also check common areas such as ball joints, ties rods, and breaks. Check all power options on interior (windows, locks, seat, etc). t

5. I drive mainly in the city and average about 13-15 MPGs. As people say, the thing that controls your mileage the most is your foot so if you can learn to drive the truck and use the MDS (5.7L) as much as possible, you'll be fine. Also, remember this is a very heavy truck, somewhere around 5400lbs. So you can't expect anything to great, but it is more efficient than those old Magnums. My old '99 Dakota with the 5.2L could only get 12 MPGs at best.

A side note: Just took my '10 Ram 1500 with MDS on a 400 mile trip and averaged 17.1 MPGs. Not bad considering on the way up, it was extremely windy and I was traveling in the Duluth area where it is fairly hilly. Also, I was going 60-70 MPH the whole trip.

Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase and I think you would be too. The truck has plenty of grunt (5.7L = 390HP & 407ft/lb of torque), handles very well, and has an excellent ride. Only thing I wish mine had is the auto climate control and the front tow hooks...

Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM
WIexpress
Amateur

1. Cant help with the 4.7 as I have the Hemi
2. Mds does work and is pretty damn smooth to transition, the only thing that can be annoying is at around 35-40 low rpms, it makes a "farting" noise.
3. The tranny's seem to be very solid. You can turn off the mds manually by using the select shift-at least on my 2012, not sure about a 2010.
4. Fuel mileage sorry to say is abysmal. I got over 19mpg on one all hwy trip last summer and was stoked, but my fuel mileage has dropped steadily. I can't get over 12 now, granted it is winter but still. Decent amount of guys say they get over 20, myself and the two others I know with 4th gens get terrible mileage. My real test will be when the winter blend is gone, but can't imagine winter gas costing me 4 mpg.
5. Overall besides the mpg I love the Rams-hands down the best looking and driving truck out- but the fuel mileage has me bummed and thinking of getting into a 2014 Durango.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Originally Posted by SeanTG84
1. I was in the same situation as you when I was looking at my 2010 Ram; didn't need a Hemi as I don't tow much, but I am sure glad that I got that over the 4.7L. I do believe the 4.7 would offer you plenty of power though as you said its pretty equivalent to the GM 5.3L.

2. I think the MDS is pretty nice to have. I don't know what it helps in terms of exact numbers, but you can definitely tell its working. Transitions smoothly between 8 and 4 cylinders.

3. When looking at my truck, the tranny issues were a concern for me, but after a lot of research, counting calling my mechanic who owns a '11 and '12 Ram 1500, I found there to be very little issues overall with the new transmissions. If you are still concerned, call your local tranny shop and see what they say about it.

4. When buying your Ram, check the spark plugs. The factory plugs are supposed to be changed every 30k and there's 16 of them so it can be a pricey job if they are in 'fair' condition. But also saying that, I have higher mileage Ram and my plugs look great. Just had them professionally checked. Also check common areas such as ball joints, ties rods, and breaks. Check all power options on interior (windows, locks, seat, etc). t

5. I drive mainly in the city and average about 13-15 MPGs. As people say, the thing that controls your mileage the most is your foot so if you can learn to drive the truck and use the MDS (5.7L) as much as possible, you'll be fine. Also, remember this is a very heavy truck, somewhere around 5400lbs. So you can't expect anything to great, but it is more efficient than those old Magnums. My old '99 Dakota with the 5.2L could only get 12 MPGs at best.

A side note: Just took my '10 Ram 1500 with MDS on a 400 mile trip and averaged 17.1 MPGs. Not bad considering on the way up, it was extremely windy and I was traveling in the Duluth area where it is fairly hilly. Also, I was going 60-70 MPH the whole trip.

Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase and I think you would be too. The truck has plenty of grunt (5.7L = 390HP & 407ft/lb of torque), handles very well, and has an excellent ride. Only thing I wish mine had is the auto climate control and the front tow hooks...
You can always add the tow hooks, I did, even though it's a Sport model. They come in handy this time of year.

I remember my '05 4.7 being around the same or less mileage I currently have with the '09 Hemi, especially on highway trips. I'd shoot for the Hemi, your not sacrificing anything by jumping up in displacement.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 PM
SeanTG84
Rookie

Originally Posted by POWER SEDAN
You can always add the tow hooks, I did, even though it's a Sport model. They come in handy this time of year.
Not to jack this thread, but just curious, how much do those tow hooks roughly cost to get installed?

Old 01-31-2013, 03:30 PM
WIexpress
Amateur

Tow hooks cost about $130 off ebay. Dealer will charge you at least double that to install them. I have a express so mine didn't come with them. I told local dealer I could get them for $130 and they matched it. Easy to install, and def. worth it, makes the truck look way better in my opinion. Couple of threads on how to do it.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeanTG84
Not to jack this thread, but just curious, how much do those tow hooks roughly cost to get installed?
I think I paid $100 online for mine. A monkey can install them, no reason to pay someone. You can either hack out the filler panel that you have in your bumper, or for about $10 get the one that is made to work with the hooks. (This is assuming non sport model)

Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 PM
SeanTG84
Rookie

Originally Posted by oldjeep
I think I paid $100 online for mine. A monkey can install them, no reason to pay someone. You can either hack out the filler panel that you have in your bumper, or for about $10 get the one that is made to work with the hooks. (This is assuming non sport model)
Non-sport model. I have a '10 Ram 1500 SLT Big Horn Edition. The tow hooks don't have to be welded on or anything?