4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Poor gas mileage. Programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013 | 01:41 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Well your MDS worked as designed. I only wiish I could control it and keep it into MDS even more.

Old 03-13-2014 | 02:24 PM
klutz02

I wish my truck got 13 mpg. Its been sitting anywhere from 9-11 right now. When it was warmer this fall I once got 12.5 mpg driving 65 mpg on a 74 mile trip.

Old 03-13-2014 | 11:22 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by allmyTdrunken1
I'm convinced the truck just needs to warm up more. I usually just drive it to and from work. Take the wifes honda crv on errands. But i just drove the truck the same route I take everyday. Took the dog to the veg after work. Surprisingly the display was in the 16 going up to 17mpg. That's a big difference compared to my mid 13s I see everyday. I guess the warmer the engine gets and further you drive the better it gets. I know I hit over 20 on a 20 mile ride. Perhaps it's just this cold weather. I love my truck and just might start driving it more! I still want a programmer!!!

The two main reasons for poor mileage are 1. its winter and winter brings cold dense air that the Fuel injection system must add more fuel to keep mixtures right and 2. winter blends of gasoline leave a lot to be desired. Yes warming the engine will help but spring will help much more.

Old 03-13-2014 | 11:34 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by hounddogg
The K&N and Magnaflow can't improve what the factory already did. The ones it came with also flow good. The factory filter and exhaust was already engineered for maximum flow. Add more horsepower with cam,head work and such then you need to open up the breathing and exhaust. But not on a stock engine.

Very noticeable gains can be had on a stock hemi engine with breathing and exhaust. The stock exhaust sucks...don't believe me, crawl under your truck and look at the stock manifolds and the stock y pipe. The y pipes are almost crushed together rather than a smooth transition like the magnaflow y pipe has. The stock manifolds are pitiful in design and function. Dodge just used what it wanted to with little thought or consideration as to how well and efficient something works, and that is easily seen if someone will look before they start preaching how good stock is and that it cant be improved upon. Looking at your list of mods on your truck, there isn't a single performance mod, but you come here and tell everyone that a stock hemi can attain no benefit from performance mods of intake or exhaust. More BS

Last edited by Old Man with a hemi; 03-14-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2014 | 03:53 PM
Duso02
Captain

I think your fine where you are at. Any money spent to increase your mpg will be a net zero sum. What ever you spend on exhaust, tuner, CAI, etc will cost more money then they will recover in fuel cost savings. Do that stuff because you want to and you like the sound.

One big one I noticed, your running LT285/60s? Those cannot be light and that will drag you down as well. I get 12 mpg in the winter because I warm it up all the damn time. In the summer maybe 14. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Quick Reply: Poor gas mileage. Programmer?