4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Hemi Octane Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013 | 07:15 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by LU229
Vastly over estimated...???
Yep sure thing OJ, thats why we have non-ethanol gas here and you dont. (and you probably never will) The problem is, the vast amount of people are so dumbed down today thats its just "OVERLY PATHETIC". If people would get their heads out of their azz`s and realize the truth behind ethanol, ethanol would disappear overnight...! Sorry OJ, i would have to disagree with you... at least from what i`m seeing in our part of the country.

Well, I was talking about boats and since we have more of them than any other state in the country - I'm going to assume that there isn't a lot of local demand for non ethanol gas for them since it is so hard to find.

The truth about ethanol isn't any secret - it doesn't make any economic sense the way we do it in the US (subsidized corn). Other than that, it works fine as a fuel.

The horrors of using the stuff always come from areas where it has just been introduced where several things happen.
1) the old leaky tanks at your local gas station let water into it - didn't matter as much with pure gas but it does now.
2) Pure gas has left a crapload of deposits in the fuel system of everything you own - the ethanol cleans it out in the first couple tank fulls and clogs all your fuel filters
3) Your 20 + year old fuel lines that should have already been replaced due to age melt because they are not ethanol rated
4) You start burning pistons in your little power equipment because you didn't adjust the carb to allow for the less powerful E10 and you are running lean.
5) You've got some old boat with a fiberglass fuel tank - and it melts when you put E10 in it.

Here where we have had it forever you see none of the above, which is why nobody cares - I know I don't. Our fuel prices are cheap here - we grow a lot of corn and have a lot of refineries locally.

Old 07-02-2013 | 07:40 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Well, I was talking about boats and since we have more of them than any other state in the country - I'm going to assume that there isn't a lot of local demand for non ethanol gas for them since it is so hard to find.

The truth about ethanol isn't any secret - it doesn't make any economic sense the way we do it in the US (subsidized corn). Other than that, it works fine as a fuel.

The horrors of using the stuff always come from areas where it has just been introduced where several things happen.
1) the old leaky tanks at your local gas station let water into it - didn't matter as much with pure gas but it does now.
2) Pure gas has left a crapload of deposits in the fuel system of everything you own - the ethanol cleans it out in the first couple tank fulls and clogs all your fuel filters
3) Your 20 + year old fuel lines that should have already been replaced due to age melt because they are not ethanol rated
4) You start burning pistons in your little power equipment because you didn't adjust the carb to allow for the less powerful E10 and you are running lean.
5) You've got some old boat with a fiberglass fuel tank - and it melts when you put E10 in it.

Here where we have had it forever you see none of the above, which is why nobody cares - I know I don't. Our fuel prices are cheap here - we grow a lot of corn and have a lot of refineries locally.
I respect what you`re saying, but keep in mind that what works in one part of the country might not be the same somewhere else.

Old 07-03-2013 | 08:14 PM
Tunaman
Veteran

Originally Posted by LU229
I pay .10 cents more per gallon for NON-ethanol, so it costs me $2.60 more to fill up my 26 gallon tank. I pull approx 3+ more miles per gallon on the highway using NON-ethanol gasoline. (1-1/2 to 2 more mpg city) No ethanol meens i`m not attracting as much moisture into my fuel tank... my hemi`s runs ALOT smoother... makes more power... better mpg... feels ALOT LESS sluggish... i`m thinkin the math adds up perfectly. Not trying to start a gas war here, just letting people know the experience`s i`ve had between Egas, and NON Egas.

EDIT:(added to post)
3 more mpg X 26 gallon tank = 78 more miles out of a tank of gas
So 78 more miles per tank @ $4.00 per gallon = "you do the math"
Am i wrong to NOT want to use E10 gas...??? Costs me an extra $2.60 at a fill up, trust me, i benefit from it.

Ummm yeah, if you buy NON Egas at a marina, thats a dumb azz with a fat wallet with no brains. I would be talking to your local gas station owners away from the lakes to see if they`re willing to open up a pump with NON Egas. Look at the profits they would be making...! They win, YOU win...!
If I could buy non-ethanol for .10 a gallon more than ethanol it would be a no brainer. I don't know where you are but here (Edgewater) on Roberts Rd. Reg (87) is approx 3.45 a gallon. (93) is approx $4 and (90) non ethanol os approx $4.99 a gal. Since 93 gives me no better than 87 I figure the Non-Ethanol is $1 a gallon more. Where do you buy non-ethanlo for 10 cents a gallon more than even 93?

Old 07-03-2013 | 08:15 PM
Tunaman
Veteran

At $1 a gallon it costs me over $20 a tank more, not worth it.

Old 07-03-2013 | 08:17 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Tunaman
If I could buy non-ethanol for .10 a gallon more than ethanol it would be a no brainer. I don't know where you are but here (Edgewater) on Roberts Rd. Reg (87) is approx 3.45 a gallon. (93) is approx $4 and (90) non ethanol os approx $4.99 a gal. Since 93 gives me no better than 87 I figure the Non-Ethanol is $1 a gallon more. Where do you buy non-ethanlo for 10 cents a gallon more than even 93?
Wow - what state are you in? 87 (E10) is 3.17 here and 92 (E10) is around $3.35

No idea what the E0 non highway is selling for, I don't pass the only station I know of that has it very often.

Old 07-03-2013 | 10:23 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Tunaman
Where is edgewater...?

Old 07-04-2013 | 12:22 AM
Owensue
Veteran

Try buying gas in Ontario, 1.276 /liter works out to 5.79 a gallon FOR 87 E10

Robbery!!!!

Mid grade (89) is about .10 more /liter. Then this is what kills me high grade is only .03 over that. Why is the first 2 octane increase worth 10 cents, but the next 2 only 3 cents??
Makes no sense to me.

They say we'll be paying 1.45 a liter mid/late summer. What a joke. Yes, I know it's mostly tax, but the taxes didn't go up in the past 10 years, just the fuel amount.

Old 07-04-2013 | 08:00 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

Edgewater, florida. 20 miles so of Daytona

Quick Reply: Hemi Octane Recommendation?