4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Hemi Octane Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013 | 02:58 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by oldjeep
I'm saying that it is in the gas and it doesn't cause any real issues unless you are dumping buckets of water into it. Wether I like it or not is irrelevant since it has been here in MN for 20+ years and isn't likely to go away.

Most of the issues that people claim from ethanol are the results of ethanol cleaning all the crap out of their fuel system or gas stations with leaky tanks that allow water into the fuel. I've never ever had a fuel related problem and I own an awful lot of gas powered equipment and toys. The power equipment and toys all sit for 6+ months at a time with whatever fuel was in them the last time I used them. Hadn't used my chainsaw in about 9 months and lo and behold it fired right up last week
Its a proven fact, that ethanol is not a good replacement for gasoline. Where i live, day by day, we`re seeing ethanol going away... and thats a GOOD thing. And 100% gasoline was unheard of until last year here where i live, now the only E10 gas you can buy here now is 87 octane, the 89 on up is non ethanol. A few of us here have tested it, its 100% gasoline. My QC Hemi 4x4 truck pulls 22+ highway... i`m lovin it...! It does NOT hurt my feelings to see ethanol going away. Maybe you should get after your elected officials like we did here and do something about getting rid of the ethanol... you`ll get alot better mpg`s out of everything you own. At the least, YOU should be able to HAVE a choice whether to burn ethanol or not, and we now do. And last of all, i believe you`re out numbered by a long shot, by the people that DONT like ethanol.

Last edited by LU229; 06-22-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-22-2013 | 04:50 PM
bluebeast1562
Veteran

The other day I found a station that sells 100% gas, no ethanol at all for 89/91 octane, major issue was the price $4.00 a gallon, to top off I put $30.00 in. As for power tools, when I put them away for the winter/summer, I always use fuel stabilizer to ensure a good start up the following year.

Old 06-22-2013 | 05:41 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by bluebeast1562
The other day I found a station that sells 100% gas, no ethanol at all for 89/91 octane, major issue was the price $4.00 a gallon, to top off I put $30.00 in. As for power tools, when I put them away for the winter/summer, I always use fuel stabilizer to ensure a good start up the following year.
If you`re burning 100% gas (NO ethanol), your mpg`s will be much better, that alone will save you more than you might realize because ethanol blended gas robs your mpg`s up to 30%, most people already know this as fact. I think if you do the math, you`re going to find that your money ahead by buying 100% gas even if it costs a little more. Where i live the non-ethanol gas is ten cents less a gallon than the 100% gasoline. People today are drivin by dollar signs, not reality. Sure, you`ll pay a little less for E10, but you end up spending more in the long run by burning thru more of it. Banning ethanol is a win win in my book... meens more mpg`s, smoother running engines. Farmers hate people like me, they cant sell corn for ethanol with people like me around. And lets not forget that the gov`t PAYS the farmers to grow the corn... THAT is OUR tax dollars being funneled away from us as well as forcing ethanol down our throats for the return of stealing our tax money. Dont some of you ever wonder how gov`t can tell us whats good for us but yet they dont have a clue themselves...??? Somebody is pocketing some awfully big dollars with this ethanol scam, and it sure the hell isnt us.

VOTE NO on ethanol...!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We did, and we won...!!!!!!!
Ethanol is bad for everything, including driving up food prices...!!!!

Old 06-30-2013 | 04:48 AM
Tunaman
Veteran

Just my experience lately. Since this thread started out about octane ratings and turnd into an ethanol topis I can only add about octane. Guess I need to try non-ethanol after reading all of this. 2012 Ram 5.7. have run 87 from day one, happy with mpg especially compared to the dozen fords I have owned. Bought a can of STP octane booster. Propably me imagination but it seemed to get a little worse mileage! Bue DEFINATELY none better. Went to station that sells 90 oct. non-ethanol, a little over a buck more, needed about 22 gals or so therefore I couldn't believe it would increase mileage enough to offset $20-$22 more to fill tank. So I went with the 93 ethanol which was approx $.50 a gal more. IF i got any better mileage at all it wasn't noticable, neither was the power. So as many have said, i'm convinced if you don't need it don't buy high octane. Maybe I'll try a tank of non-ethanol but will be very surprised any increase in mileage will offset the price, but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 06-30-2013 | 09:56 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Tunaman
Just my experience lately. Since this thread started out about octane ratings and turnd into an ethanol topis I can only add about octane. Guess I need to try non-ethanol after reading all of this. 2012 Ram 5.7. have run 87 from day one, happy with mpg especially compared to the dozen fords I have owned. Bought a can of STP octane booster. Propably me imagination but it seemed to get a little worse mileage! Bue DEFINATELY none better. Went to station that sells 90 oct. non-ethanol, a little over a buck more, needed about 22 gals or so therefore I couldn't believe it would increase mileage enough to offset $20-$22 more to fill tank. So I went with the 93 ethanol which was approx $.50 a gal more. IF i got any better mileage at all it wasn't noticable, neither was the power. So as many have said, i'm convinced if you don't need it don't buy high octane. Maybe I'll try a tank of non-ethanol but will be very surprised any increase in mileage will offset the price, but maybe I'm wrong.
The truck isn't programmed to deal with anything over 89 octane, so anything more is a waste. Non ethanol gas should get you around 10% better mileage just because it has more energy than E10. However you would need to run a few tankfulls to see any difference since the computer needs to adjust to the new fuel.

Old 07-01-2013 | 08:28 PM
Tunaman
Veteran

The truck isn't programmed to deal with anything over 89 octane, so anything more is a waste. Non ethanol gas should get you around 10% better mileage just because it has more energy than E10. However you would need to run a few tankfulls to see any difference since the computer needs to adjust to the new fuel.

Havent done the math but 10% at $20+ more a tank doesn't sound worth it. I know these computers are pretty complicated! Kinda like re-booting the desk top onve in a while. Or shutting off the cell phone daily so you can receive downloads. Welcome to the 21st. century!! LOL

Old 07-02-2013 | 09:44 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Havent done the math but 10% at $20+ more a tank doesn't sound worth it. I know these computers are pretty complicated! Kinda like re-booting the desk top onve in a while. Or shutting off the cell phone daily so you can receive downloads. Welcome to the 21st. century!! LOL
We don't have the option of using non-ethanol in cars (except collector cars) so I've never done that math.

For our boats and sleds it has never been worth the extra $$$ or hassle to find non-ethanol gas since they run fine on the E10. Most marina gas in non-ethanol but costs $$$$ so we always fill up in town. Finding a station that has non-ethanol in MN is pretty random unless you are near some of the major snowmobile trails.

Old 07-02-2013 | 11:38 AM
LU229
Banned

I pay .10 cents more per gallon for NON-ethanol, so it costs me $2.60 more to fill up my 26 gallon tank. I pull approx 3+ more miles per gallon on the highway using NON-ethanol gasoline. (1-1/2 to 2 more mpg city) No ethanol meens i`m not attracting as much moisture into my fuel tank... my hemi`s runs ALOT smoother... makes more power... better mpg... feels ALOT LESS sluggish... i`m thinkin the math adds up perfectly. Not trying to start a gas war here, just letting people know the experience`s i`ve had between Egas, and NON Egas.

EDIT:(added to post)
3 more mpg X 26 gallon tank = 78 more miles out of a tank of gas
So 78 more miles per tank @ $4.00 per gallon = "you do the math"
Am i wrong to NOT want to use E10 gas...??? Costs me an extra $2.60 at a fill up, trust me, i benefit from it.

Ummm yeah, if you buy NON Egas at a marina, thats a dumb azz with a fat wallet with no brains. I would be talking to your local gas station owners away from the lakes to see if they`re willing to open up a pump with NON Egas. Look at the profits they would be making...! They win, YOU win...!

Last edited by LU229; 07-02-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-02-2013 | 11:47 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by LU229
Ummm yeah, if you buy NON Egas at a marina, thats a dumb azz with a fat wallet with no brains. I would be talking to your local gas station owners away from the lakes to see if they`re willing to open up a pump with NON Egas. Look at the profits they would be making...! They win, YOU win...!
Problem is that you vastly over estimate how much people here care about that. The volume would not be there to make it worthwhile - that is why there are so few stations that carry it. (That and they would need yet another tank to store the low volume product) It has been the norm for 20 years, most folks are not searching out non ethanol gas for their boats and other toys.

Old 07-02-2013 | 06:41 PM
LU229
Banned

Problem is that you vastly over estimate how much people here care about that. The volume would not be there to make it worthwhile - that is why there are so few stations that carry it. (That and they would need yet another tank to store the low volume product) It has been the norm for 20 years, most folks are not searching out non ethanol gas for their boats and other toys.
Vastly over estimated...???
Yep sure thing OJ, thats why we have non-ethanol gas here and you dont. (and you probably never will) The problem is, the vast amount of people are so dumbed down today thats its just "OVERLY PATHETIC". If people would get their heads out of their azz`s and realize the truth behind ethanol, ethanol would disappear overnight...! Sorry OJ, i would have to disagree with you... at least from what i`m seeing in our part of the country.

Quick Reply: Hemi Octane Recommendation?