4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Comments after 2 weeks with new Ram

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013 | 11:06 AM
Billybobs
|
Default Comments after 2 weeks with new Ram

I lurked on this site for 3 years while I mulled over replacing my original purchase 2001 F150 Crewcab 5.4 Lariat. After the slow decision process, I purchased a 2013 Bighorn a few weeks ago.

2013 Ram Specs: Bighorn Crewcab, 5.7 Hemi, 6 speed, 3.92 axle, Premium Cloth Bucket seats, Trailer Tow, 121 litre/32 USG tank, Luxury group, Trailer Brake controller, Remote start, 8.4a/R3 Audio, Rear Camera, Sun Roof, Protection Package; Power Trailer Tow mirrors, aftermarket Linex, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover, Bed mat, Weathertech fitted floor mats, HD Splash guards

For the benefit of anyone else trying to decide, the following are my comments:

Pros:
5.7 Hemi with 3.92:
City 15L/100km or 15.5 US MPG
Hwy 12L/100km or 19.5 US MPG
Average 13.5L/100km or 17.5 US MPG
Much better than the 12 year old F150 at an average of 19L/100km or 12.5 US MPG. Location Rocky Mountain Foothills
Currently using 87 octane which from all the research I have done will work fine at my 3500 foot altitude. Will try 89 next few tanks.
No MDS problems to date
Haven’t tried to tow anything yet
Convenience of 121 litre / 32 US gallon tank well worth minor extra cost
Seriously considered the Pentastar as I have driven a 2012 Jeep Wrangler, but decided I didn’t want the (Ram) unproven 8 speed and really disliked the dash mounted shifter; also wanted tow capacity of 5.7 Hemi
6 Speed Transmission:
Ram seems to be a much smoother shift than the F150 (but again, the F150 was 12 years old)
Electronics:
Got the 8.4a/R3 System with Rear Camera. Didn’t need Nav. IMO, without one of Rear Camera or Nav, it really is just a toy to play with, but the Rear Camera makes it a valuable tool.
Fuel Economy gauge on EVIC makes me more conscious of driving habits. Probably save a few dollars in speeding tickets over the long term
Quality of Ride:
Anything beats a 12 year old truck, but the Ram is far more comfortable; didn’t want leather
Extra 3” legroom over the F150 in the back seat a plus; rear middle position useless except for small passenger
Large Trailer tow mirrors are great. Some adjustment required to become accustomed to convex mirror
After 12 years with leather, decided on cloth bucket seats. Hence the Bighorn. No regrets. Might add aftermarket front heated seats in the fall.
Other:
Hidden storage compartments in rear and under back seat mean less clutter in vehicle
Extang Tonneau cover turns box into large lockable trunk. Easy to remove completely
Costs:
Significantly higher discounts from Chrysler than Ford as of May 2013

Cons:
Really miss the keypad entry on the F150. Very nervous of possibility of locking key fob in vehicle. Looked at aftermarket keypad, but concerned about messing up Remote Entry and Security. Not comfortable installing it myself and got a $350 quote from third party to install. Still considering
Rated payload capacity of 1,430 lbs significantly less than 2001 F150’s 1,875 rating
Bluetooth on IPhone works fine for phone calls, but cuts out about 20% of time on IPhone Navigon software. Works fine with USB connection. Probably not the Ram, but rather the BT interrupt process on the Navigon software and IPhone.

Old 05-20-2013 | 12:14 PM
Nick Ladd
Rookie

heres something that may calm your nerves about locking the fob in the truck....as far as i know if the fobs in the ignition you cannot lock the doors with the lock/unlock buttons..at least i cant do that on mine, the fob has to be out of the ignition to get locked inside

Old 05-23-2013 | 05:32 AM
menarefrommars
Rookie

Take the door open key and tape it to the inner bumper supports under the rear bumper. That way you can get into your truck if you every accidently lock the keys inside. I do it on all my cars. Last time I needed to use it was in 2003 but it safed me a lot of time and hassle.

Old 05-23-2013 | 07:09 AM
wilcon76

Haven't checked but do the doors auto unlock if they sense the key fob in the cab still? My Jetta and my wife's Genesis won't lock or stay locked if the fob is in the vehicle.

Old 05-24-2013 | 10:02 AM
Billybobs
|

Taping key somewhere inside bumper probably the best option, but using key causes alarm to go off... not a serious problem for the few times it will be needed... Any suggestions as to type of tape that will survive all types of weather? thank you.

Old 05-24-2013 | 10:36 PM
menarefrommars
Rookie

I place the key in a zip-lock snack bag, fold it into a small package, then use duct-tape.

Old 05-26-2013 | 09:19 AM
eodflstf

If you have a smartphone, just use the uconnect app to unlock the truck. I just bought mine and it came with a 6 month free trial of usage, and am liking it so far.

Old 05-27-2013 | 10:53 AM
Billybobs
|

Unfortunately, Uconnect link to internet is not available in Canada... sigh...

Quick Reply: Comments after 2 weeks with new Ram