4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

DIY Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 04:41 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patricklee85
I disagree, its a flaw IMO. You're right that the PVC is doing what its supposed to do by ventilating the crankcase but engine oil inside the intake that makes its way to the combustion chamber sounds like a flaw to me. If it wasn't a flawed system, there would be no need to modify it with something like a catch can. Again, IMO.

There is no need to modify it with a catch can, it works like every other pvc/ccv system - some oil makes it back into the intake and gets burned. IF it makes you feel better - then do it, but it is completely unnecessary.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:21 PM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluebeast1562
Thanks for the clear up, I have owned a few MOPAR's and never heard of the issue nor seen it happen to my 318 (Ramcharger).
Exactly... maybe think of it this way, if it was going to hurt the engine not having an oil catch can, i`m sure engineers would be installing "oil catch cans" on every vehicle at the factory. (super HP vehicles yes, bone stock vehicles, no) Like old jeep said, they really aren`t necessary, and i totally agree. If you have an engine that blows alot of oil into the intake, you`ve got serious issues with piston rings not sealing properly (actually its called blow-by), no oil catch can is going to save your engine anyway. Todays engines run so much more efficient than even 10yrs ago, i really highly doubt an oil catch can is worth the trouble. I havent seen ANY reports that oil catch cans conserve your oil, nore do they show that you get better mpg`s, until i see different and results with standing hard proof, i`m not interested in snake parts. Stick with the stock PVC system, you`ll be just fine

Old 06-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Dano61
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ordered my catch can and would like to get braided lines made for it. Anyone know the size of the hose that fits onto the PCV?

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Catch Can