4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bug Deflector

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013 | 10:03 PM
bluebeast1562
|
Veteran
Default Bug Deflector

The other day I bought a bug deflector for the new Ram, today I attempted to install, no drill type, has push in "plugs". Anyhow, after install, could not get the hood to close, seems that the rubber seal between hood and grill, with the bug deflector, are two thick to close. Anyone have this issue? Did you have to remove the seal? Not really looking to take the seal out but...

Thanks

Old 06-02-2013 | 04:34 PM
LU229
Banned

Do the instructions say what to do about the seal...??? Which brand bug deflector did you buy.

Old 06-02-2013 | 04:53 PM
molina67

I had this exact problem and my wife said slam it it's a truck, I did and it closed... I opened the hood the other day and the problem went away.

Old 06-02-2013 | 05:44 PM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional

I bought an OEM deflector no drilling required screwed it to the pattern under the hood and Bob's your uncle, don't be afraid to slam your hood.

Old 06-02-2013 | 10:43 PM
Rob B

I just bought the OEM chrome one. took less than 10 minutes to install on my 3500. No issues with the hood not closing or any interference.

Old 06-03-2013 | 09:15 AM
bluebeast1562
|
Veteran

Thanks for the input, the brand is Vent visor Bug deflector 2, no drill, attaches with four push/screw type. Instructions had no mention of the stock seal. Saturday I finally got around to taking the seal off and install the deflector, after install was able to close the hood but seemed a little loose also did not like the way it looked on the truck. Was going to delete this post but could not figure out the way to do.

Thanks again

Old 06-04-2013 | 06:58 AM
molina67

I feel the same about my bug deflector (AVS) looks like a mustache might go with the 3M film, but for now it will stay.

Old 06-04-2013 | 09:55 AM
LU229
Banned

For the guys that have the 4th gen bug deflector....
do you notice if you really get less bugs on the windshield, and does the deflector help keep the wipers from lifting off the glass at higher mph scenario`s..??.. or does it ONLY keep the bugs from hitting just the front leading edge of the hood. I`d like to put one on my truck, BUT, only if it will REALLY help deflect bugs from the windshield AND help keep the wipers more firmly planted on the windshield by actually deflecting wind from hitting the wipers and lifting off the glass. I`ve always seen issues with standard wipers lifting off the windshield @ 60mph and higher with both of my 4th gen trucks. I`m tired of spending big dollars for the snake oiled wipers, they stay put pretty good above 70mph, but they dont last any longer than the cheapo`s. So, if a bug deflector helps deflect turbulent windshield wiper issues, i`d buy one in a heartbeat.

Old 06-04-2013 | 10:01 AM
oldjeep
Champion

No idea on the wipers, but maybe you should try the blade style - never had the issue you are describing. I'm on my 2nd set of Bosche blades, the ice is what really seems to kill the scrapers, but at least there is no frame to get froze up with ice. The main thing that the bug deflector does is to protect the leading edge of the hood from chips.

Old 06-05-2013 | 10:31 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by oldjeep
No idea on the wipers, but maybe you should try the blade style - never had the issue you are describing. I'm on my 2nd set of Bosche blades, the ice is what really seems to kill the scrapers, but at least there is no frame to get froze up with ice. The main thing that the bug deflector does is to protect the leading edge of the hood from chips.
I`ve tried just about every brand of blade on the market (bosch icon on the truck right now, and they suck for wipers, cleaned windshield, still suck), but the expensive brands (bosch) dont last any longer than the elcheapo $5 dollar anco metal frame blades, BUT, the cheap anco`s lift off the windshield begining @ 60mph, the blades like the bosch icon dont, but the bosch dont last long enough to offset the cost of them. So, my point being, if a bug deflector helps lift some of the air away from the windshield, i`ll go back to using the cheaper blades. I meen really, why spend almost ten times as much for wiper blades if they dont last any longer or wipe any better, than the "ElCheapo`s". As for ice, i never turn on my wipers until the windshield is totally cleaned off. I do know here in the north east, we DO get some brutally cold winter days and ice is always a factor with wiper blades. I also believe, if we had the good ole USA made wipers again, and not the MADE IN CHINA (bosch...etc etc etc), the rubber on the blades would be better quality AND hold up alot longer. Apology to the OP, just askin people if they notice any wiper improvements with adding a bug deflector.

Quick Reply: Bug Deflector