4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Truck Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013 | 11:53 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by cosmophone
Thanks for the suggestions. As this will probably be the last truck I ever buy I am leaning toward a new 2013 2500 6.7L with manual transmission and 4WD or a very low mileage 2011/12.
If you dont mind paying the added cost of a new 13 diesel, thats what i would buy. (2013 HO cummins w/manual trans)
As i remember, the 11`s & 12`s had alotta "check engine lights" on all the time. (EGR/emission issues)
2013 ram diesels i believe are now running "UREA" DEF fluids like the other brand trucks are. (11 & 12 did not)

Old 06-20-2013 | 11:57 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Spoken like someone who has not driven a modern automatic. If he really wanted to save money he could buy a geo metro - and that wouldn't meet his requirements either
What's not modern about the 46RE?

Don't answer that.

Old 06-22-2013 | 05:47 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by stewie01
What's not modern about the 46RE?

Don't answer that.
rotflmao.... you said 46RE.... rotflmao
just kiddin, i had to throw that in there...lol

Old 06-22-2013 | 11:19 PM
Nate769
All Star

for a 9k trailer for a few trips, a 2500 cummins is a lot of dough. You can mod a 1500 to pull that just fine without spending near that of getting into a diesel. Besides, the 1500s have a MUCH MUCH better ride (can't stress that enough!) AND the 2013s have much higher specs with their new air ride system. I think even without it its rated at 10500lbs.

If your not a new truck kinda guy, I would maybe look into a 3rd gen cummins. Yes you are not going to have the new body style, but your not going to have the emissions issues, and you can get them for a fair price. If you have a little more cash then maybe a 2010. Again the only issues with the 4th gen series is the 6.7 with the emissions junk. If you don't have to finance, then maybe look around for a deleted 2010, they could be hard to find tho.

Having traded my hemi in for a diesel not too long ago I can tell you if your gonna get one with the 6.7 (minus the 13's) your not going to be happy with it...at least I wasn't.
All the emissions junk really hold that truck back, I speak from experience having ran both. In the winter the amount of de-fueling I was doing was horrible. For those of you who don't know, your motor de-rates itself and burns at around 8 MPG (NO JOKE) I found myself that at times I was almost getting better mileage out of my hemi. The filter and emissions controls are just something more to worry about and frustrate you. There is nothing worse then needing power, and having your motor tell you it does not want to give it to you. Or the fact that you put the pedal down and it doesn't move...
Ya of course my 3500 pulls better, but I sacrificed the ride quality. My old 1500 really didn't do that bad, and I am sure a set of bags would have solved that. I am pulling much more weight now, so that is the only reason why I upgraded.

Now I did mention that I hated the diesel, but I did my emissions deletes and its a whole new motor. I now do much better then a hemi, and it doesn't cause problems. The only issue now is its about triple the price now to do a delete then when I did it. IF you can even find someone to do it!

If you are still set on a diesel and have the money to spend, then I would try out the 13. Only because I know how horrible the 10-12s are. BUT be mindful that cummins has always had issues with running their motors with def. This is the only reason why they are 1 year after everyone else in the 2500s and 3500s. (The chassis cabs have different standards) My advice is maybe browse the cummins section here and see how many people are running 13s, and how they like them. IMO its I high price to pay, for something that you don't REALLY need. But if your set I am not going to come find you and stop you! As far as transmissions go...Auto. Automatics have come A LONG way, and are pretty much just as reliable IMO...also your horsepower ratings are actually de-rated by going manual. I think the cummins only puts out 660 with a manual.

Old 06-23-2013 | 08:39 AM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by Nate769
for a 9k trailer for a few trips, a 2500 cummins is a lot of dough. You can mod a 1500 to pull that just fine without spending near that of getting into a diesel. Besides, the 1500s have a MUCH MUCH better ride (can't stress that enough!) AND the 2013s have much higher specs with their new air ride system. I think even without it its rated at 10500lbs.

If your not a new truck kinda guy, I would maybe look into a 3rd gen cummins. Yes you are not going to have the new body style, but your not going to have the emissions issues, and you can get them for a fair price. If you have a little more cash then maybe a 2010. Again the only issues with the 4th gen series is the 6.7 with the emissions junk. If you don't have to finance, then maybe look around for a deleted 2010, they could be hard to find tho.

Having traded my hemi in for a diesel not too long ago I can tell you if your gonna get one with the 6.7 (minus the 13's) your not going to be happy with it...at least I wasn't.
All the emissions junk really hold that truck back, I speak from experience having ran both. In the winter the amount of de-fueling I was doing was horrible. For those of you who don't know, your motor de-rates itself and burns at around 8 MPG (NO JOKE) I found myself that at times I was almost getting better mileage out of my hemi. The filter and emissions controls are just something more to worry about and frustrate you. There is nothing worse then needing power, and having your motor tell you it does not want to give it to you. Or the fact that you put the pedal down and it doesn't move...
Ya of course my 3500 pulls better, but I sacrificed the ride quality. My old 1500 really didn't do that bad, and I am sure a set of bags would have solved that. I am pulling much more weight now, so that is the only reason why I upgraded.

Now I did mention that I hated the diesel, but I did my emissions deletes and its a whole new motor. I now do much better then a hemi, and it doesn't cause problems. The only issue now is its about triple the price now to do a delete then when I did it. IF you can even find someone to do it!

If you are still set on a diesel and have the money to spend, then I would try out the 13. Only because I know how horrible the 10-12s are. BUT be mindful that cummins has always had issues with running their motors with def. This is the only reason why they are 1 year after everyone else in the 2500s and 3500s. (The chassis cabs have different standards) My advice is maybe browse the cummins section here and see how many people are running 13s, and how they like them. IMO its I high price to pay, for something that you don't REALLY need. But if your set I am not going to come find you and stop you! As far as transmissions go...Auto. Automatics have come A LONG way, and are pretty much just as reliable IMO...also your horsepower ratings are actually de-rated by going manual. I think the cummins only puts out 660 with a manual.
I thought they went to the 6.7 Cummins towards the end of the 3rd Gen life? Round '06 '07, something like that.....

Old 06-23-2013 | 09:56 AM
toofart
Amateur

Am I the only one who's wondering why you're not considering a 2500 Hemi? With the right gear, it will handle your 9000 lbs adequately, cost a lot less and perhaps be less maintenance?

If you tow frequently, the Diesel is obviously the way to go.

Old 06-23-2013 | 10:42 AM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by stewie01
I thought they went to the 6.7 Cummins towards the end of the 3rd Gen life? Round '06 '07, something like that.....
Late 2007 they brought them in.

I thought about the whole Hemi/Cummins 2500 thing, but I don't know about your area, but often we have a no-charge cummins for upgrading into a 2500. If it were me I would want to take full advantage of that if I was going up to heavy duty (Which is what I did!) Even if I have to wait a couple months for that, its 10 grand in your pocket. (at least here in Canada!)

The other thing you have to consider is the actual amount of money it takes to get into a 2500, yes its not as much as getting into a cummins. But again its paying another 10 grand. Your going to loose ride quality, but most of all to get the higher options you have less models to choose from. Which if I remember right go up pretty drastically in each step compared to the 1500s. If you're not set on all the gizmos, then it would be an option. I know I didn't want some basic truck, but I get an incredible deal on any truck.

All I am trying to say is he can buy a much better truck with all the nice technology, that he is going to be much happier driving on a daily basis, much cheaper then that of a 2500. Which judging by what he was saying is 5k miles a year. If he has all the money to spend and isn't worried about cost, then like I said earlier go for it!

Old 07-04-2013 | 11:31 AM
cosmophone
|
Default New truck

After considering input from several people and this forum I bought a new 2012 Cherry Red 2500 Short Bed SLT 6.7L Diesel/Automatic. It's got the upgraded Alpine stereo, Mopar powder coated step bars and the cold weather package. In addition to the factory warranty, it has a lifetime power train warranty from the dealer however I don't have to have it serviced there to keep the warranty valid. I haven't towed anything with it yet but am eager to do so.

Thanks for your collective input.

Old 07-04-2013 | 02:46 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by cosmophone
After considering input from several people and this forum I bought a new 2012 Cherry Red 2500 Short Bed SLT 6.7L Diesel/Automatic. It's got the upgraded Alpine stereo, Mopar powder coated step bars and the cold weather package. In addition to the factory warranty, it has a lifetime power train warranty from the dealer however I don't have to have it serviced there to keep the warranty valid. I haven't towed anything with it yet but am eager to do so.

Thanks for your collective input.
Awesome!

No pics?

Old 07-05-2013 | 11:07 AM
LU229
Banned

X2 >>>>> pic`s....????

Quick Reply: Truck Suggestions