4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Can't believe I'm considering another brand

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:54 AM
MDSledHead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyOhio
I do not see what the big deal is. Pump the 89 octane. $3 more per tank and you are not driving far by your own admission.

As for the dial, I am not a fan either. But the Ram looks far out weigh the dial shifter when comparing to a Ford.

You will get a MPG increase with the new truck over your 05. I had an 05 RCSB Sport with the same 3.92s I have now. I get 2 more MPGs with the 4th GEN.

If I am not mistaken the 14's are getting a little more MPGs on the highway over the 13s, or at least I thought I saw that somewhere.
Thanks for the input guys... Ohio eh? Try buying gas in MD - our taxes just went up $0.21 per gallon (and our governor wants to be the next president). No one is going to make me feel better about using 89. I won't do it. It prevents pre-detonation under compression, and nothing more. The gas companies would like you to believe that it (and 91/93) is somehow better for your engine (cleaner).. That's pure BS. All gasoline grades get the same detergents, plus the 87 is likely the "freshest" gas in the tanks. And with the ethanol blend, that is HUGE. That stuff degrades exponentially faster than pure gasoline.

The 8 speed is supposed to get 15/21 while the 6 speed gets 13/19. So if I'm looking at the '13, what rear end should I go with? .355 or .392?
I've had the .392 in my last 2 trucks and I'm not a fan. The entire thing had to be replaced in my 05 (under warranty, binding and whining).

I usually tow my trailer around 70-75 mph. I go on one long trip per year (800 miles up the the U.P. of Michigan or 600 miles to Northern Ontario) where I get 8 mpg on basically level ground. The remaining miles are here in the mountains. My current truck tows the trailer w/out any problems.

I need a truck, but like someone said above.... I would like to get the best mpg possible when I'm not pulling something. If I could get over 10 pulling the trailer, I would be thrilled.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional

Towing a trailer and running as fast as you are you will never get good fuel mileage , either slow it down or pay the price for your need for speed.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:08 PM
jaflowers
Professional

My 09 with the Hemi and 3.92 got 10-12mpg with a hard head wind coming from Florida to Colorado towing a 7,000 trailer. Without the headwind, early part of the trip, it was getting 13.5 mpg. All this driving at ~70-75mph. Without a trailer and running 91 octane it'll get up to 20-21 mpg on the highway going 75 mph with no headwinds. As for pulling power, never needed anything more. The hemi is more than enough.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:13 PM
MDSledHead

Originally Posted by NoMoreGMsForMe
Towing a trailer and running as fast as you are you will never get good fuel mileage , either slow it down or pay the price for your need for speed.
I gots to get there before the snow melts! Looks like jaflowers did.

Originally Posted by jaflowers
My 09 with the Hemi and 3.92 got 10-12mpg with a hard head wind coming from Florida to Colorado towing a 7,000 trailer. Without the headwind, early part of the trip, it was getting 13.5 mpg. All this driving at ~70-75mph. Without a trailer and running 91 octane it'll get up to 20-21 mpg on the highway going 75 mph with no headwinds. As for pulling power, never needed anything more. The hemi is more than enough.
So I'm assuming that's with the 6-speed... did you run tow/haul or not?
Just curious what your RPM shows at 70 mph with the 3.92 and the "new" 6-speed. Mine has the older 5-speed. I'm lucky to get 14.5 empty running the interstate.

The other thing that hurts me is the "winter blend" fuels... my MPG always drops from November to April or so.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:26 PM
gutty96
Veteran

Have you looked into a RAM 1500 with the new diesel engine?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 PM
MDSledHead

Originally Posted by gutty96
Have you looked into a RAM 1500 with the new diesel engine?
Thought about it... but for the type of driving I do when I'm not towing, it's hard on the diesel. Not sure if the extra fuel economy would be offset by the price of diesel fuel and extra maintenance expense.

What I want is the 8 speed with NORMAL gearshift. I still can't get over why they did that. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's electronic... so is the throttle, and they didn't change the gas pedal to a twist throttle on the steering wheel

Old 08-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MDSledHead
Thought about it... but for the type of driving I do when I'm not towing, it's hard on the diesel. Not sure if the extra fuel economy would be offset by the price of diesel fuel and extra maintenance expense.

What I want is the 8 speed with NORMAL gearshift. I still can't get over why they did that. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's electronic... so is the throttle, and they didn't change the gas pedal to a twist throttle on the steering wheel
The difference is there is no manual shift linkage anymore. When you shift your truck now, you are actually moving mechanical parts in the tranny. The new one is just wires, simply put, all sealed no shift linkage. Maybe they will find a way to make it seem like you are actually shifting a tranny with manual linkage. But lets face it, its more expensive and harder to do then to throw a dial in. It is the same with basically everything else in the truck, your throttle was a cable at one point. Now its just a potentiometer, with a spring to generate pressure. It is a pretty big change, but I am sure people will get used to them. When I went from my 07, to my 11. I went from the column shifter to that of the console shifter. I don't know how many times I went to the column to shift. Now back into column shifter on my 12. I know its a little different but its the point that matters...

Old 08-09-2013, 12:00 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt let a electronic dial shifter bother me if the truck does what i want it to do. Just like anything else, you`ll get use to it.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:14 AM
MDSledHead

Originally Posted by Nate769
It is the same with basically everything else in the truck, your throttle was a cable at one point. Now its just a potentiometer, with a spring to generate pressure. It is a pretty big change, but I am sure people will get used to them. When I went from my 07, to my 11. I went from the column shifter to that of the console shifter. I don't know how many times I went to the column to shift. Now back into column shifter on my 12. I know its a little different but its the point that matters...
My point exactly... the "dial" mechanism could have easily been incorporated inside the console or steering column... both rotate and in the same order. The difference in your example is MANY cars have a console shifter while many have a column shifter. The dial-on-dash is NOT a new concept - it has failed miserably before. It's stupid.. and I shouldn't have to "get used to" a $45000 truck.

I'm really not trying to argue the point... but I can't be the only person that is so hung up that it's preventing a sale.

My real question is what rear-end to look for with the 6-speed. I'm wondering if the 392 may actually get better mileage in the hills where I live. I really don't like that rear - I've had trouble with it in both trucks (2001 and 2005) that had it.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:03 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSledHead
My point exactly... the "dial" mechanism could have easily been incorporated inside the console or steering column
In the column about the same spot the shifter was, with a "wingnut" style grip to it. That would be cool.

Quick Reply: Can't believe I'm considering another brand