4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Can't believe I'm considering another brand

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 04:21 PM
jaflowers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSledHead
I gots to get there before the snow melts! Looks like jaflowers did.

So I'm assuming that's with the 6-speed... did you run tow/haul or not?
Just curious what your RPM shows at 70 mph with the 3.92 and the "new" 6-speed. Mine has the older 5-speed. I'm lucky to get 14.5 empty running the interstate.

The other thing that hurts me is the "winter blend" fuels... my MPG always drops from November to April or so.
Mines an 09 Ram, only has the 5 speed. Only used the tow haul mode a couple times up some harsh hills, otherwise the hemi had more than enough power to run without it. I don't have the FUEL SAVER light but I'm sure it kicked in a few times. Running around town, Colorado Springs, I average 14-15mpg. Running up to Wyoming via I-25, which has plenty of hills, I get between 19.5-21mpg.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:39 PM
zcg4755
Professional

I don't recommend switching to 3.55s, that's for sure. The low end is atrocious. Not to mention the fact that I never get over 14 miles to the gallon. My last fill-up was 12.2 miles to the gallon. If I had the money, I would instal 4.10s, or at least 3.92s.

I would also like to point out that the Coyote 5.0L will be no better on gas. Good luck with whatever you decide...

Old 08-09-2013, 06:29 PM
MDSledHead

Thanks for the real world mpg numbers guys... mine always seems to read in the mid 12's with the older hemi and 3.92s ( 5 speed)... Maybe with the six speed tranny it will run lower rpm at highway speeds... dunno what I'll do. Going to drive them all.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:49 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSledHead

So I'm assuming that's with the 6-speed... did you run tow/haul or not?
Just curious what your RPM shows at 70 mph with the 3.92 and the "new" 6-speed. Mine has the older 5-speed. I'm lucky to get 14.5 empty running the interstate.
I had a 09 RCSB 3.92 between my 05 and 12. So I had the 5speed OD and new 6 speed in a 4th gen. Zero difference in MPGs there.

The general rule of thumb for most is if you get the 20" (33" rubber) get the 3.92. If you get 17" (31.5" rubber if I recall) then the 3.55's are not at all bad. It is the final ratio that is critical.

Last edited by CarGuyOhio; 08-09-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:21 PM
MDSledHead

Back in 05, you could only get the 20" wheels with the 3.92 rear. I bought it in July and had to take what they could find... I did not want the 20" wheels. They do look good and help handling, but I hate them today. Tires are expensive and I get max of 22K miles out of a set.

Not to belabor the rotary shifter issue again... but I just read a review on the Grand Cherokee SRT with the 8 speed. It has a console shifter. This tranny was in that vehicle first, so why did they do something so stupid in the Ram?

Old 08-10-2013, 08:38 AM
stumblingthru

For those old enough like me to remember the old televisions when you turned the rotary dial to change channels or volume, the concern over the rotary shifter is rather ridiculous. There were numerous folks who said the same thing about the old televisions but look at all of them now...no rotary dials but all have remotes (which we didn't have when I was a kid). How many would like to go back to getting off your bum to change the channel or the volume?

I drove a 2013 with rotary shifter and it was perfect. Shifting was perfectly smooth and it drove like any other truck. I didn't buy it because it was a 4WD and I didn't need it here in Texas but was hoping to find one in 2WD as it was a nice improvement over the 5/6 speed trannies. My opinion...

Old 08-10-2013, 05:08 PM
MDSledHead

Originally Posted by stumblingthru
For those old enough like me to remember the old televisions when you turned the rotary dial to change channels or volume, the concern over the rotary shifter is rather ridiculous. There were numerous folks who said the same thing about the old televisions but look at all of them now...no rotary dials but all have remotes (which we didn't have when I was a kid). How many would like to go back to getting off your bum to change the channel or the volume?

I drove a 2013 with rotary shifter and it was perfect. Shifting was perfectly smooth and it drove like any other truck. I didn't buy it because it was a 4WD and I didn't need it here in Texas but was hoping to find one in 2WD as it was a nice improvement over the 5/6 speed trannies. My opinion...
Drove both today along with a 2014 Silverado. You are right... that 8 speed is smooth as silk... but the 6 was really nice too. both trucks were north of $50kon the sticker. Laramie Longhorn and a Sport with 3.92s and air ride. The chevy was a LTZ with 3.42 rear. The interior and power was disappointing. Gas mileage was better on the short 15 mile run I took.
There is really no comparison... but the rams are a lot more money
Salesman told me 2013 is the last year for the 6-speed... is that right?

Old 08-10-2013, 06:03 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't believe I'm considering another brand

Variety is the spice of life. Do your homework.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 AM
MDSledHead

Originally Posted by TNtech

Variety is the spice of life. Do your homework.
OK... so educate me. I've spent hrs on the internet researching and hours driving the trucks. I'm actually being swayed over to the 8 speed.. OMG.

So my question to you is what rear-end should I look for? I'm finding 3.92s and 3.21s on the 8 speed and 3.92s and 3.55s for the 6 speed. For my type of driving... up/down hills on interstate as well as 2-lane (short distances) to work. AND, then pulling a 5000 lb trailer. Which rears should I get with each tranny. Is the 8 speed really that much better than the 6 speed? What about reliability?

I saw a review where the 8 speed did well with mpg compared to other MFGs, then poorly when pulling a trailer. It had a faster rear (3.21 or 3.55). Is that why?

One last question... is the air ride really that great? That's all a drove and the ride was awesome. Leveling while towing would be great too.

Trying to decide this weekend. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-11-2013, 03:36 PM
stumblingthru

The 3.92 is with the 8-speed is a tough combination to beat when towing especially give the fact you've got two extra gears to get the RPMs down. I have a 2012 Charger with the 8-speed and it's a very good transmission. Time will tell on the Rams as far as durability for towing...if it was me, I'd go for the 8-speed and purchase the lifetime warranty (not from the dealer) for $2,000. Then again, I end up purchasing the 6-speed only because I wanted a Laramie Longhorn but they didn't have any 8-speeds available. And yes, then I purchased the Mopar Lifetime Warranty from Harold Ziegler for a fraction of the price I would have paid the dealer. (No, not related or employed or received money from Harold Ziegler only pleased with the transaction.).

Quick Reply: Can't believe I'm considering another brand