4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

When to use your 4 wheel or Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:35 AM
jp3hemi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to use your 4 wheel or Auto?

Some people you talk to ask when do you use your 4 wheel drive, and that you shouldn't use it on dry roads. i always say when i need traction i just put it in, but today in the new truck i have Auto 4WD , what does this do differently then 4WD? We have snow in winter here and i have been trying to feel it, but not sure?

Old 12-11-2013, 09:31 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

It's like having an automatic transmission, it does all the brain work for you. Auto 4wd will engage and disengage four wheel drive based on the your driving habits and road conditions. If you prefer 4wd full time, select 4Hi.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:41 AM
jp3hemi
Amateur

Ok but can you ride around with Auto 4wd all the time does it matter that its dry out? some people say you can ruin your trannie if you ride around in dry conditions?

Old 12-12-2013, 09:03 AM
jaflowers
Professional

I believe Auto engages disengages 4wd based on your wheel slippage, kind of like Audis Quatro system. If you're not losing any traction then it will leave in rwd mode, you start spinning and it engages the 4wd.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:06 PM
B.Kaiser1
Rookie

Originally Posted by jp3hemi
Ok but can you ride around with Auto 4wd all the time does it matter that its dry out? some people say you can ruin your trannie if you ride around in dry conditions?
4 Wheel AUTO engages the transfer case the same as the 4WD position, but the front drive is disengaged, via internal clutch until slippage is detected. It is All drive shafts and axels are swinging, but the front drive is in freewheel at the transfer case until slippage is detected. When you drive in the Auto mode it is extra drag on the motor and affects your mileage.
Do not select and drive in 4WD Lock unless you are on a slippery surface. You will cause SEVERE damage to the drive system if you do.
(IMHO)

Last edited by B.Kaiser1; 10-12-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Wrong information
Old 12-22-2013, 08:08 PM
rdculus
Veteran

Originally Posted by B.Kaiser1
Do not select and drive in 4WD Lock unless you are on a slippery surface. You will cause SEVERE damage to the drive system if you do.
Im Wondering what info you have to support this statement? Under normal driving conditions the only negative effects of running in 4 lock have been reduced fuel milage and increased tire wear, but never severe damage to the drive system.
I've personally logged thousands of miles in 4 wheel drive at highway speeds on dry pavement with no issues.
In fact many of the oilfield companies here (ab Canada) instruct they're drivers to use 4 wheel drive at all times during the winter months, it reduces accidents by drivers being caught off guard by road conditions, black ice etc.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:09 PM
rdculus
Veteran

Originally Posted by B.Kaiser1
4 Wheel AUTO engages the transfer case the same as the 4WD position, but the auto hubs at the wheel are disengaged until slippage is detected. It is swinging All drive shafts and axels, but the front wheels are in freewheel until needed. When you drive in the Auto mode it is extra drag on the motor and affects your mileage.
also, I believe you are incorrect in the operation of the 4wd auto function, the automatic function operates through clutches that engage in the nv246 transfer case to send power to the front diff when slippage is detected.
There is no way to engage and disengage the front hubs at the wheels as you suggest.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:07 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdculus
also, I believe you are incorrect in the operation of the 4wd auto function, the automatic function operates through clutches that engage in the nv246 transfer case to send power to the front diff when slippage is detected.
There is no way to engage and disengage the front hubs at the wheels as you suggest.

Engage 4WD and drive around a parking lot, you will feel the driveline bind up. You can continue to drive, or risk grenading your transfe rcase.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:31 PM
rdculus
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
Engage 4WD and drive around a parking lot, you will feel the driveline bind up. You can continue to drive, or risk grenading your transfe rcase.
yes in tight turns the 4wd binds up on pavement Because while turning the the wheels are locked together and trying to turn at different rates, and its difficult for the tires to slip in dry conditions.
This isn't the case in normal freeway driving situations, so exactly what conditions would cause the transfer case to grenade? And do you have any first hand experience?
Just wondering how yoy can make that statement when I use mine all the time in many different situations with no issues?
Have you ever had a failure?

Old 12-24-2013, 07:55 AM
jp3hemi
Amateur

WOW see this is the things i hear about missing up your gear boxes on dry pavement, to me that sounds so not Right its a truck with 4 wheel drive option i should be able to run it anytime i think! and i am a normal driver i pull a boat in the summer time but other then that i just drive to work and sit at a desk. I have tried the 4WD and the 4 Auto it drives like my wife's BMW it grips when it has to so to me i think 4 AUTO is a Awesome addition to the system my 04Ram didn't have that! SO the stories continue on, so what is RIGHT here?

Quick Reply: When to use your 4 wheel or Auto?