4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

More major recall stuff on RAMs

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:53 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More major recall stuff on RAMs

I wasn't even aware there was a major recall on RAMs for steering issues. This buyback thing is not something I recall happening before in this magnitude.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-sources-fia...--finance.html

Fiat Chrysler must offer to buy back from customers more than 500,000 Ram pickup trucks in the biggest such action in U.S. history as part of a costly deal with safety regulators to settle legal problems in about two-dozen recalls.

The trucks, which are the company's top-selling vehicle, have defective steering parts that can cause drivers to lose control, and some previous repairs have been unsuccessful. So to get them off the roads, Fiat Chrysler agreed to the buyback, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Owners also have the option of getting them repaired, the agency said in documents released Sunday.
What a massive waste of vehicles, money, and resources if they buy 500K trucks back and crush them to get them off the road. Wow.

Rob

Old 07-26-2015, 09:48 PM
dwaldmann
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trucks, which are the company's top-selling vehicle, have defective steering parts that can cause drivers to lose control, and some previous repairs have been unsuccessful.
This is just bizarre. Steering components are fundamental to motor vehicles. Been around for well over a hundred years. I can see a design or manufacturing defect, but one that can't be fixed and you have to scrap the truck??! Unbelievable.

I know it's supposedly from the AP, but I don't believe it. They don't give any details, for one - what years, models, etc. Smacks of an over-dramatization for news value.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:57 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
I wasn't even aware there was a major recall on RAMs for steering issues. This buyback thing is not something I recall happening before in this magnitude.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-sources-fia...--finance.html

What a massive waste of vehicles, money, and resources if they buy 500K trucks back and crush them to get them off the road. Wow.

Rob
No crushing. Ram allowed to fix and resell. Owners have option of buyback or repair of whatever the problem is.

Curious which trucks are impacted and what the issue is. I'm on my 3rd driver side tierod end, only steering issue I know of. Last time I put in a Moog instead of the stock ungreasable junk.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:20 PM
oldjeep
Champion

First list I've found. Looks like rear axle recall vehicles included.

FCAfs buyback list

NHTSAfs consent agreement with Fiat Chrysler requires the automaker to offer to buy back the following models that are under recall:

278,229 vehicles recalled on February 6, 2013 because of a defect that may cause the axle to lock:

¡ 2009 model year Chrysler Aspen

¡ 2009 model year Dodge Durango

¡ 2009-2012 model years Dodge Ram 1500

¡ 2009-2011 model years Dodge Dakota

36,710 vehicles recalled on November 6, 2013 because of a defect that may cause the driver to lose steering power and crash:

¡ 2008-2012 model years Dodge Ram 4500

¡ 2008-2012 model years Dodge Ram 5500

265,057 vehicles recalled on November 6, 2013, to repair and replace steering linkages that may cause the driver to lose steering power and crash:

¡ 2008 model year Dodge Ram 1500

¡ 2008-2012 model years Dodge Ram 2500

¡ 2008-2012 model years Dodge Ram 3500

Old 07-27-2015, 12:10 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Will be interesting to see what a 'buyback' would involve. Wonder what they will offer owners?

I'm surprised that if they can't reliably fix them for owners how they could buy them, fix them, and resell them. That makes sense to do, but if they can do that why do they have to buy them back? Just to give the owners relief from the problems?

Rob

Old 07-27-2015, 12:17 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
Will be interesting to see what a 'buyback' would involve. Wonder what they will offer owners?

I'm surprised that if they can't reliably fix them for owners how they could buy them, fix them, and resell them. That makes sense to do, but if they can do that why do they have to buy them back? Just to give the owners relief from the problems?

Rob
The way it reads, the buyback is a penalty for rolling the recalls so slowly. Nothing that cant be fixed. Mine is likely under the buyback, but hasn't had an issue since they fully rebuilt my rear axle.

It would have to be a ton of money to get me to sell, have working truck with no payments.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:37 AM
whiteknight312

I have a 2012 1500 big horn. what is up with the axel? I have the extended 7 year bumper to bumper also. I guess I better go to my dealer and figure this out.

Last edited by whiteknight312; 07-27-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:29 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by whiteknight312
I have a 2012 1500 big horn. what is up with the axel? I have the extended 7 year bumper to bumper also. I guess I better go to my dealer and figure this out.

Some of the trucks had an issue with a pinion nut that could come loose and would then mess up the ring and pinion. If the nut hadn't come loose yet then they just replaced them and added some sort of retainer, if they had come loose then they rebuild the rear differentials.

If you go to the Ram Owners site and create an account/enter your VIN you can see any past and present recalls for your truck.

https://www.moparownerconnect.com/oc...aspx?brand=Ram

Old 07-27-2015, 11:19 AM
whiteknight312

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Some of the trucks had an issue with a pinion nut that could come loose and would then mess up the ring and pinion. If the nut hadn't come loose yet then they just replaced them and added some sort of retainer, if they had come loose then they rebuild the rear differentials.

If you go to the Ram Owners site and create an account/enter your VIN you can see any past and present recalls for your truck.

https://www.moparownerconnect.com/oc...aspx?brand=Ram

super thanks!

Old 07-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FCA is a company in financial trouble and that is manifested in the way they try to save money by dragging their feet. Now, they've reduced the warranty for the next years models, are looking for someone to merge with and generally are going broke again.

Sergio Marchionne was very aggressive in growing the brand and was very successful but at a cost. The consumer reports has many of his products at the bottom of the reliability list, their profit margin is the lowest amongst the big car companies. He had a good plan for the short term, but now he is clueless. It's going to get worse before it gets better. It wouldn't surprise me if FCA goes bankrupt again. On another forum for the new 1/2 ton diesels, the number of problems are large and the big complaints from the owners is the way the FCA and the dealers are dragging their feet on repairs and lack of corporate support.

Quick Reply: More major recall stuff on RAMs