4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why such poor tow raitings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008 | 09:49 PM
st.rodder2

I was towing my 9k 5er with my '02 1500. Added coil overs and air bags to handle the weight. Kept burning out the front pinion bearing every 1 1/2 years or so. Had to replace front pads each year. Finally upgraded to the 2500 CTD. Tows much better. Don't even know the trailers back there unless I look in the rear view.

Last edited by st.rodder2; 10-17-2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 10-18-2008 | 09:03 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

Originally Posted by silvermach2002
Well, the truck may ride better than some other trucks, but I still think that it is sad towing performance had to suffer because of it. Obviously a truck can tow more than its rated for. But that also means that a truck like the F-150 can tow more than 11,300lb.
I see nothing wrong with a 1/2 ton pulling 9100lbs. Thats way more than you need or want to tow in a 1/2 ton - this is a silly numbers game. If you are going to pull 11,000lbs even occasionally you better be doing it with a 3/4 ton truck. I think 9100lbs is a very decent number in a half ton but still wouldnt tow that much. You need POWER to tow and the 5.4L engine is an underpowered joke. Poor F-150, all that towing capacity and its still relagated to the right hand lanes because its so serioulsy underpowered. When I'm towing my 6000lb trailer with my Hemi Ram I have to use the left passing lane to go around them, they are busy straining. As for performance when not towing, I can absolutely blow the doors of the F-150's, its not even close. I think thats sad......

Old 10-18-2008 | 09:20 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TexasRam01
Yes, its cause the coil rear suspension. I was talkin to one of the mechanics at the dealership and he said these trucks are going to suck. If you are looking for an actual truck, you do not want the '09. If you want a cush riding prissy car that looks like a truck, the '09 is just what your looking for.... almost a direct quote.
Half the techs at dealerships don't know what they're talking about. I had one tell me MDS only activates when the cruise control is on...unbelievable.

Old 10-19-2008 | 09:45 AM
7mmmag1
Professional

if you wanna tow a bunch, get a 3/4 or 1 ton, if you want a smooth riding luxury vehicle, get a gm suv, or the new dodge 1/2 ton

Old 10-19-2008 | 01:16 PM
Cummins3500

Originally Posted by HEMI_ROM
I see nothing wrong with a 1/2 ton pulling 9100lbs. Thats way more than you need or want to tow in a 1/2 ton - this is a silly numbers game. If you are going to pull 11,000lbs even occasionally you better be doing it with a 3/4 ton truck. I think 9100lbs is a very decent number in a half ton but still wouldnt tow that much. You need POWER to tow and the 5.4L engine is an underpowered joke. Poor F-150, all that towing capacity and its still relagated to the right hand lanes because its so serioulsy underpowered. When I'm towing my 6000lb trailer with my Hemi Ram I have to use the left passing lane to go around them, they are busy straining. As for performance when not towing, I can absolutely blow the doors of the F-150's, its not even close. I think thats sad......
You total wrong,because you don't know what are you talking about,you just a brand loyal,be realistic,F150 beat every truck(in its class) in towing category,its a very,very nice truck,so you wrong,be honest.New 2009 Dodge looks pretty cool,but Ford wins again,performance,interior,exterior,exept head lights,old head lights was much better.

Last edited by Cummins3500; 10-19-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2008 | 08:04 PM
silvermach2002
|

Originally Posted by Cummins3500
You total wrong,because you don't know what are you talking about,you just a brand loyal,be realistic,F150 beat every truck(in its class) in towing category,its a very,very nice truck,so you wrong,be honest.New 2009 Dodge looks pretty cool,but Ford wins again,performance,interior,exterior,except head lights,old head lights was much better.
He's right you know, brand loyalty aside, the F-150 is way more truck than the new Ram, and a nice one too. Its not all about horsepower, despite what some uneducated people might think, you have to take in axle gear ratio, transmission gear ratio, toque, transmission shift points and a myriad of other things into consideration. So when it comes down to it, the mfg. engineers decided that the F-150 can pull 11,300lbs. safely and the Ram can pull 9100lbs, safely. If the situation arises, and you can't borrow your friends truck, or rent one, or buy a new one or second one, the F-150 can pull 2,200lbs safer than the ram. Its just a fact, yes the ram can pull more than 9,100lbs, but if you use that logic the F-150 can pull more than 11,300lbs. The new Ram has many nice features, and it is a great looking truck, but towing is just a little off. On the other hand the new coil rear is going to be killer off road.

Last edited by silvermach2002; 10-19-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2008 | 10:55 PM
finc.jb
Professional

My last thought on this is this: if your going to tow very regularly your better off with a heavier duty truck, if your more in the being able to throw a bunch of crap into box and take you and a couple friends somewhere the dodge is a better suited truck.

If you like the Ford 'cause it can tow that much and like the looks, go buy one.
If you like the Ram 'cause it has a great ride and like the looks, go buy one.

No one truck can do everything perfectly.

Old 10-20-2008 | 08:01 AM
TXcharger07
Veteran

Originally Posted by silvermach2002
He's right you know, brand loyalty aside, the F-150 is way more truck than the new Ram, and a nice one too. Its not all about horsepower, despite what some uneducated people might think, you have to take in axle gear ratio, transmission gear ratio, toque, transmission shift points and a myriad of other things into consideration. So when it comes down to it, the mfg. engineers decided that the F-150 can pull 11,300lbs. safely and the Ram can pull 9100lbs, safely. If the situation arises, and you can't borrow your friends truck, or rent one, or buy a new one or second one, the F-150 can pull 2,200lbs safer than the ram. Its just a fact, yes the ram can pull more than 9,100lbs, but if you use that logic the F-150 can pull more than 11,300lbs. The new Ram has many nice features, and it is a great looking truck, but towing is just a little off. On the other hand the new coil rear is going to be killer off road.
I work for ford and have driven the new F-150, its not that amazing.

Old 10-20-2008 | 11:18 AM
silvermach2002
|

Originally Posted by TXcharger07
I work for ford and have driven the new F-150, its not that amazing.
No, the new F-150 is not that amazing, my dad is a service manager at a ford dealership, the Ram has tons more seat of the pants power.

Old 10-20-2008 | 11:20 AM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

Originally Posted by Cummins3500
You total wrong,because you don't know what are you talking about,you just a brand loyal,be realistic,F150 beat every truck(in its class) in towing category,its a very,very nice truck,so you wrong,be honest.New 2009 Dodge looks pretty cool,but Ford wins again,performance,interior,exterior,exept head lights,old head lights was much better.
No, having my opinion doesn’t make me wrong. It might not make you happy but it doesn’t make me wrong. My opinion is, and remains, that power is an important part of towing capacity. As far as brand loyalty yes I am brand loyal to Dodge, if you have a problem with that too bad. In case you missed it, this is a Dodge forum. If you are of the opinion the Ford is better fine by me, but if your expecting me to buy that your wasting your time. The fact is the Hemi has more HP and torque than the 5.4L. The fact is the Hemi Ram will outrun the F-150 light to light and top end every time. These are facts so if you have some evidence to the contrary present it. Or you can just sit back and keep typing I’m wrong.

Quick Reply: Why such poor tow raitings?