4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Connecting Ipod to Navigation???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:34 PM
wmichell227
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I might be misunderstanding the ipod thing. The accessories catalog that my sales guy gave me says under the heading "uconnect phone"

" This voice-activated system is controlled through your radio, allowing you to dial your wireless phone through voice commands. It also lets you control your iPod through thr radio and steering wheel controls, letting you listen to your favorite tunes in digital audio quality. Available on REN and REQ radios and RES where applicable. Cable sold seperately for iPod integration."

So it looks like we should be able to work the ipod through the radio.......

Old 01-11-2009, 12:35 PM
wmichell227
Veteran

Originally Posted by ScottyB28
Well I just ordered the lockpick for it and it comes in Tuesday. From what I read you can hook up your ipod with that. I'll see Tuesday when it comes in. Thanks for your help.
Let me know how that works, maybe I'll get that instead.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:39 PM
ScottyB28
Rookie

Well I just looked and I think the audio/video input and output cables are sold seperately so I don't think I bought them.

I might just live with the FM Transmitter and operate my ipod through itself if I don't get them cables.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 PM
MisterScott
Rookie

There are a few ways to connect your ipod.

1. You cannot play music from your ipod by hooking the ipod cable to it and plugging it into the USB port on the myGig. Doesn't work. That is for downloading music files from a jump drive as well as photos.

2. You can buy a double ended mini jack and plug it into the headphone jack on the ipod and then into the minijack on the front of the radio. Once you plug it in, the radio will recognize an accessory and make it available from the menu. You will need to control the ipod from the ipod this way.

3. The Dodge accessory. I purchased it from the dealer part's department. I got it and all that was there was the ipod cable. Based on comparing the instructions and what is in my glove compartment, I, and the service guy deduced that an interface module was missing. The instructions reference a cable and a module (kind a looks like the lockpick). The parts guys has since re-ordered it. This allows the ipod to plug directly into the radio and will allow you to control the ipod from the screen much like the myGig hard drive.

Hope that helps. If someone has more info on the cable and module i appreciate it. I have a loaded Laramie but I was unable to find the box that the cable plugs into so I therefore deduced that the part was missing the module.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:36 PM
blue2050
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dodge "Navigation" manual explains what your radio/navi can and can't do.
I am just getting into this myself.
Here is another cable supplier
http://www.leeparts.com/2009_dodge_r...ssories/audio/

Cheers
Blue

Old 01-11-2009, 07:25 PM
ScottyB28
Rookie

I think I'm better just sticking with my FM Transmitter instead of spending all that money on that. The transmitter does the exact same thing. I control the volume with the radio and all the other controls on the ipod.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional
Default iPod Intergration

If your ordered the lockpick you will also have to order their iPod integration kit in order to see everything on the screen. Even with all that you will not be able to see the video from your iPod if you want to do that at all.

I just took an iPod video cable and hooked it into the lockpick in the video input. I hard wired the USB side to supply power and now I can watch video, listen to music and charge my iPhone all at the same time. I mounted a dock in the center storage area so I can see the screen and touch it to make my selections.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:42 PM
blue2050
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a I-pod FM transmitter, used it in my 98 Dodge.
I can say it works fine in rural areas.
Pain to get a clear signal around a city where the airwaves are full.

I drove that truck back and forth from Alabama to Mexico a few times.....work...USA work.
Anyhow, out in the middle of nowhere no problem and as someone else said, its FM.
When I got near Dallas a CD had to go in as the i-pod transmitter was overwhelmed. No clear channel to choose. Happened around every city I passed.

If you live or drive mostly in a city its probably going to dissapoint.
Out in a rural area you will like it.

Like I siad I am just getting into this Dodge Alpine system. For now, I am using a short 3.5 mm stereo mini jack, male to male. Page 88 an 89 of the navigation user manual explains.
Male to earphone out on i-pod...other male to the 3.5mm aux on the Alpine head unit.
Mine just switches to aux when plugged in. All control is the i-pod....volume is both.

Has to plug into a power point/cig lighter too....to keep charged full anyhow.

If you are dead set on an FM transmitter PM me.

Last edited by blue2050; 01-21-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional

I want to get this online for everyone to see for the 2009 Ram.

For i Pod integration you must have the interface box in you vehicle (Part C) and the i Pod Cable (Part B) that is available from your Mopar dealer.

In the 2009 Ram Part C should be located on the right side of the vehicle directly behind the lower glove box. All you need to do is to remove the lower glove box to access the interface to plug Part B into.

If you need complete instructions they are available in PDF format here............

http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...r.ashx?id=2333

The website where all of this information is posted is here.................

http://www.leeparts.com/2009_dodge_r...ace_cable.html

Just remember when purchasing this that it does not charge the later gen i Phones and iPod touches, but works fine with 3rd and 4th gen iPod Videos and nano's. Probally doesn't charge the newest Nano that just came out last year.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 AM
HemiBKY
Default iPod integration cable is not working

I bought the iPod integration cable (82211263AB) for my 09 Ram and plugged it into the module located right beside the lower glove box. Very easy install. The problem is that it doesn't recognize my 80GB 4th gen iPod video. It won't even charge... it's just not being recoginized at all. I plugged a 2nd gen iPod nano into it... again nothing. I plugged my iPhone into it and at least got the msg from my iPhone that the accessory is not meant to work with the iPhone. I've been back to the dealership several times and they hooked the truck into the starscan system to see if the iPod integration needed to be activated via software. They didn't find any such option. They ordered the part # 82210787AB which, according to this link (http://www.leeparts.com/2009_dodge_r...ace_cable.html), should be used with factory installed Uconnect as opposed to the MOPAR after market add on module. When it arrived, it was a 12 inch iPod cable with a connector that doesn't fit the module beside the glove box.

So finally my question is.... What part number do I need to connect my iPod to the factory installed module in the glove box that will allow me to control my iPod through the REN MyGIG. Has anyone else successfully connect their iPod to the REN version of MyGIG and is able to control their iPod through the touch screen and steering wheel controls? Please help!!!

Quick Reply: Connecting Ipod to Navigation???