4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Connecting Ipod to Navigation???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 AM
shark27
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had the NAV installed in my '09 and here is what I have learned. I plugged in my IPOD using the standard USB cable that came with the IPOD and was able to download my music from my IPOD directly onto the Radio itself so there is no need to keep the IPOD connected to it. It will store your music on the HDD soft key for play at any time..just like your IPOD and the sound is amazing compared to the FM transmitter. You can also put a CD in and "burn" it directly onto the stero so you don't have to carry all of your CD's with you anymore. I'm still elarning the in's and out's as well but this is what I have so far.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:06 AM
wmichell227
Veteran

Originally Posted by shark27
I recently had the NAV installed in my '09 and here is what I have learned. I plugged in my IPOD using the standard USB cable that came with the IPOD and was able to download my music from my IPOD directly onto the Radio itself so there is no need to keep the IPOD connected to it. It will store your music on the HDD soft key for play at any time..just like your IPOD and the sound is amazing compared to the FM transmitter. You can also put a CD in and "burn" it directly onto the stero so you don't have to carry all of your CD's with you anymore. I'm still elarning the in's and out's as well but this is what I have so far.
Really????
The owners manual says that it wont download from an iPod on to the HDD?????

Old 03-25-2009, 11:16 AM
shark27

Mine did...I plugged it in and it down loaded over 1000 songs onto my radio. I wouldn't tease you like that if it wasn't true. I plugged it in and hit the button..I think it said "tranfer music and it had a pic of a USB cord. then in the bottom left corner it shows you the status...0% to 100% to complete.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:37 AM
wmichell227
Veteran

Originally Posted by shark27
Mine did...I plugged it in and it down loaded over 1000 songs onto my radio. I wouldn't tease you like that if it wasn't true. I plugged it in and hit the button..I think it said "tranfer music and it had a pic of a USB cord. then in the bottom left corner it shows you the status...0% to 100% to complete.
Sweet!
I'm going outside to try it now, thanks for the info!

Old 03-25-2009, 12:33 PM
finc.jb
Professional

Anyone else able to confirm this?

Old 03-25-2009, 12:41 PM
wmichell227
Veteran

I just tried it. It did download a few songs but not all of my music. I'm not sure if its an iPod setting or if the truck only downloaded certain songs for a reason.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 PM
rolltidehemi
Captain

I have the 2009 ram crew 4x4 with the RER Nav with uconnect and sirius, my truck did not come with any cables or access in the glove. I found on leeautoparts.com the ipod interface cable for the RER and REN and others, there are different items for diff Radios, for mine, all I need is the interface that connects into the radio and then dealer programming. Just ordered the cable and Camera from Henson motorsports on the hemi truck club forum, 258 for the camera and 69 for the cable. The dealer is sweating bullets and wants my old trucks extra key and sentry alarm code (I did the programming myself), so I am waiting to see if they will program for free in exchange for the items for my old truck, when I get it installed I will post again.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:38 PM
BEERSandVIDEOS
Exclamation The USB port only transfers .mp3 files, not iTunes Music files

Originally Posted by wmichell227
I just tried it. It did download a few songs but not all of my music. I'm not sure if its an iPod setting or if the truck only downloaded certain songs for a reason.
The USB port will only download .mp3 files from the iPod. It will not download Apple Store / iTunes music files (AAC files, protected or unprotected). Unfortunately, the best way to transfer those iTunes purchased files is to burn a disc and import them that way. You could also convert your entire library to .mp3 files (as long as you don't have protected file types), but you will likely be losing quality, as you're making a copy of a copy. If that makes any sense.

I'm surprised at how complicated this is and why the myGIG system can't just play from the ipod via the USB cable, as it does in Ford's Sync system. I have no "plug-in" in the glove box and my local dealer says that they're waiting for something to come from Mopar to allow an iPod to be controlled via the touchscreen.

Does anyone have good things to say about the LockPick system?

Anyhow, hope that helps.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 PM
blue2050
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your dealer can get an iPod integration cable. Mine did.
Plugs in series with the stock wire...unplug the stock connector, the ipod connector is male and female plug it into the back of the stereo. Plug the stock connector back into the iPod cable female. Route the cable to the glove compartment. a 1 1/4" grommet is supplied if you drill a hole for the cable.
In the lower box it does not bind just going over the top.
Charges it while the ignition is on...discharges it quick if you do not disconnect it from the truck
Sound is great. Funtions on the soft screen are easier than the iPod.
Cool Beans that upgrade. Kinda pricey for touch screen iPod interface on the navi but well worth it to me.

There is a thread or 3 here in 4th gen...somehere. Here is one.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...aux-cable.html

You need this if you have the RER radio.
http://www.leeparts.com/2009_dodge_r...gps_radio.html

Back up and look at other cables for the other radios.

I bought the wrong cable first go around. Lee Parts credited my account 2 or 3 days after I mailed it back...even though I did not buy the next cable from them, and I had opened the bag.
My dealership had the ipod cable in stock. Same part number.

Call Lee parts if your dealership does not know. Lee Parts will tell you what cable as long as you know what radio you have.

I will tell you they told me in parts I would have to bring the truck in and have service program in it has an iPod. So it shows up like FM or HDD.!?

I bought a lockpic too for a rear camera. Not sure why but mine recognized the iPod and VES. Do not know if that was the lockpic or not.
Everything just worked. A good day.

I have 0 problems from the locpick. Others have. I am not using a DVD player...if that makes any difference. I had problems right up front with power flickering. I have a crimp tool and the locpick comes with barrel connectors crimped on for power. Not sure if it was mine or theirs but the crimps were the problem. I cut and stripped the wire, soldered and heat shrinked...no question and no more problems. None!

Cheers
Blue

Last edited by blue2050; 04-20-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:48 AM
finc.jb
Professional

OK, I have a quick question, what cable part# do I need to have, to allow iPod operation on a REN unit (REN has the touch screen but no navigation)? Unit has sat and factory rear camera.

Quick Reply: Connecting Ipod to Navigation???