4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone Got the Locking Tailgate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:42 AM
MinatorHemi8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine was built in october, no locking tailgate and they decided that only crew cabs would have the storage containers, when all the net vids said all 09 sport and laramie would have them.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:04 PM
jram99
Veteran

I got my truck in November. Call dodge customer care and they contacted the dealer for me. Taking the truck in tomorrow to have the tailgate lock installed. Didn't check any of the other modles but the sport crew shows it's standard so they are installing it for me. Not sure if key only or will be tied to power locks. I just don't want to loose my tail lights again like I did on the 99 QC. Jeff.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Kneedragger

storage containers ? you mean the coolers in the floor behind the front seats are only available on the crew cabs ? that sucks !

Old 02-03-2009, 10:28 PM
BrianLI
Rookie

It never dawned on if I had one or not so had to take a look. My 09 Sport has a locking tailgate! Guess I didnt see it because its hidden under the lip on the tailgate. That makes me very happy for when I put my cap on and leaving stuff in the truck.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Helevitia

Originally Posted by jram99
I got my truck in November. Call dodge customer care and they contacted the dealer for me. Taking the truck in tomorrow to have the tailgate lock installed. Didn't check any of the other modles but the sport crew shows it's standard so they are installing it for me. Not sure if key only or will be tied to power locks. I just don't want to loose my tail lights again like I did on the 99 QC. Jeff.
I just checked the website and ALL trucks come with the locking tailgate.

Check it out here:
http://www.dodge.com/hostc/vsmc/vehi...S6P98A&llp=2TH

Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
rezonator
Professional

next question are the locking tail gates hooked up to the power locks in the cab of the truck

Old 02-04-2009, 07:26 PM
jram99
Veteran

Well, it turns out that not all trucks do get the tailgate lock. After I dropped my truck off to have the lock installed, the service mgr called me and this is how he explained it to me. Most trucks bought before end of Dec were considered pre-release builds and may or may not have included certain options. They pulled up the build sheet for my truck and a locking tailgate was not one of the options that dodge chose for it. So I did not get my tailgate lock installed after all. I asked them about the dodge.com website and was told that it is correct but for trucks that are considered to be post release. I couldn't tell you what that means but he explained it as any vehicle that is released before the actual year (2009 released in Sept of 08) is considered a pre release. I never knew that. Anyway, they wanted $294 to install the lock which is tied to the door locks and locks/unlocks with the keyless entry. I was a little disapointed but not really angry. When I spoke with dodge customer service they basically washed their hands of it saying once the dealer takes possesion it's theirs and they would have to deal with anything missing. Anyway, I'm not going to blame the dealer for something dodge did and I'm not going to waste my time being pissed off. I figure this thing couldn't be that hard to hook up so when I have the cash I'm going to order the part which is a kit and install it myself. Anyway, I would be interested to know who has a tailgate lock but bought their truck before Dec 1? Jeff.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:50 AM
S&D RAM

Picked the new truck up just 10 days ago and was pleasantly surprised by the locking tailgate because one of my buddies said he was going to steal the new style tailgate from me.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:56 PM
gonegone

Originally Posted by BrianLI
It never dawned on if I had one or not so had to take a look. My 09 Sport has a locking tailgate! Guess I didnt see it because its hidden under the lip on the tailgate. That makes me very happy for when I put my cap on and leaving stuff in the truck.
Wheres it at, I have a 09 sport I dont think mine has it, but the window sticker says it does.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:30 PM
S&D RAM

just to the right of the handle kind of sits up and out of the way

Quick Reply: Anyone Got the Locking Tailgate?