4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OAT "outside air temp" Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OAT "outside air temp" Gauge

I am having trouble with my OAT gauge. I don't know if it is a software issue on all of the 09s or if my gauge is bad. It will always start on whatever the temp was when the truck was turned off even if it is 20 degrees off of the current. It will stay that way for several minutes, sometimes as long as 10 minutes. It will then start counting to the correct temp one degree at a time until it reaches the current temp.

This blows my mind, my 02 would go right to the correct temp. Has anyone noticed this issue with their 09? I hope it is the gauge because it really irritates the hell out of me.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:06 PM
hemiron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was testing an '09 a few weeks back and noticed the same type of thing happening. Not too sure what was causing it.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

Yes, I am afraid that as others look, they will notice the same dang thing. I bet it is some software crap in the display. It's like "how do you screw that up". Chrysler has had OAT on their vehicles for 20 years. I hope there is a firmware update that can be flashed to fix it.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional

haven't seen that issue with mine.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

Bassman,
I hope you are right. Maybe the problem is only on a few units, but I bet it is a bigger problem than just a few. There is without a doubt a problem with mine.

I would appreciate it very much if everyone with an 09 could check this for me so I will know how to proceed. Thanks Bill

Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 PM
DRex

I just bought a 09 crew cab and the outside temp. being displayed is always 20° to high. It never gets down to were it is supposed to be.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:25 PM
savage_46
Professional

got the same thing w/ mine, but not quite 20*. EVIC said about 20 this morning, got to work (7 miles) and it said 30*. w/ this mornings weather, highly unlikely to be weather issue. most likely software. i checked for any relevant TSB's today--nothing yet.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

Thanks DRex for the info. If you watch the gauge, it will most likely change to the correct temp after several minutes. Obviously, there are some problems with the OAT on the 09s. I will contact my dealer and I will let the forum know what I find out.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:12 AM
blue2050
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2009 seems to be close if not right on accurate OAT. It has also been near normal temp out for Alabama and Florida...not -0 or lower.
I wonder where the OAT is.
I do have a gripe with the placement of the sensor for inside air.
Maybe its just me but a t'stat tight at the base of the windscreen on top of my black dash. ? If I had tha design job the t'stat would be placed where it gets an accurate reading around the passengers.
I drove 4.5 hours yesterday headed south. Whole trip the suns hitting the dash.
My AC comes on...its 48 degrees out. I miss my 98 Dodge controls.
Fan speed, temp of the air.

I work withy HVAC controls. You do not put a thermostat where the sun is going to influence its readings. Just a dumb place to put it. Maybe someone knows something I don't.
Sorry I went off topic, that just annoyed me all day yesterday.

I will look for the OAT. Would not suprise me if its mounted somehwhere dumb in the engine comartment.....but mine works well so far. I think...seemed about right for what they forecast yesterday. Never noticed a bank temp or anything to give me an exact temp out.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:59 AM
jdcovert
Veteran

Originally Posted by Smoothbassman
haven't seen that issue with mine.
My rig has always work correctly... this morning it said -13 degrees, and unfortunately it was right :-P

Quick Reply: OAT "outside air temp" Gauge