4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OAT "outside air temp" Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Blue2050,
The ball on the dash is the light sensor for auto headlights. The inside air temp sensor is on the headliner. You are right, I hate automatic climate control. I have a thread on that exact complaint at this time. I least you can select manual over-ride easily on the 09.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

I just noticed another thread that previously had discussed these problems titled "EVIC...". It is a wide spread problem with OAT and possible fixes are discussed there.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:12 AM
Kickhorse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same question in another post.

Mine seems to have gotten worse. It used to be about 10 deg off, then went to 20 and now it is 30-40 deg higher than actual temps. Dealer says it is a software issue that needs to be updated and they need me to leave the vehicle for most of the day. I asked where the sensor is and the service mgr seems to think it is behind the front grill in front of radiator. Driving after parked for awhile drops it a few degrees but still way off.

Also, searched on Jeep and Chryler forums since they use similar system and it appears there are issues on those as well. I drive alot and would rather be able to turn it off and not see incorrect temps all day. Here in So Cal it was around 78-80 and EVIC was showing 128!!! I'm getting hot just thinking about it.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:51 AM
ropatz
Amateur

Mine shows about a 20 degree high reading with a very slow update. They have tried to replace the sensor and do a full reboot by pulling the battery out. I'm getting my TIP module replaced on Monday. Dodge has been involved with troubleshooting the problem on mine and they are confident that this will fix the problem. I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW- the OAT sensor is located in the tailgate.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

Thanks for the update Ropatz,
It looks like you are a step ahead of the rest of us. Let us know if the problem gets fixed so that we all can go educate our service departments as to the fix.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Kickhorse

Really, the sensor is in the tailgate? I've removed the tailgate a few times already while loading a motorcycle. No wiring connections that I can see.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

Kickhorse,
It is most likely a wireless sensor if in the tailgate. I am curious as to why you take the tailgate off to load your motorcycle.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:11 PM
kxwhite
Professional

it cant be in the tailgate. i took mine off for a couple days to thaw out in my garage because it froze up and wouldnt latch properly. and it still worked.

my temp is also off 5-10 degrees all the time too.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Kickhorse

I was at dealer today to buy the hitch receiver. A service mgr confirmed that the sensor is behind the grill in front of the radiator. If you are facing the grill, it is on the far right. You can see it hanging near the bottom corner.

Doc, as for me removing the tailgate, it has to do with the ramp I've been borrowing from a buddy. It's an ATVs style ramp that has hooks on the end. It is much more secure when sitting directly on bumper. I am shopping around for my own ramp and will not have that problem after that. For what it's worth, this tailgate is really simple to remove. Which is why I'm also shopping around for a tailgate lock.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

Kickhorse,
I too use an ATV type ramp for my dirt bikes, but it has two small chains that I hook onto the retension cable of the tailgate. It really works great. I actually ride the bikes into the bed.

If the sensor is actually in the front, I wonder what the other service guys are thinking about the tailgate location. I mean, it seems like the location should be pretty easy to establish.

Quick Reply: OAT "outside air temp" Gauge