4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard Wire Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Northern Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes sir a pic would very helpful, I just ordered two "stealth mirror wire kits off ebay and they should be in today, so if I guy new which wire was what so I don't start blowing fuses it would be great....Thanx

Old 06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
morepower29
Professional

I don't think you would blow fuses. I used the only black wire for my ground. I don't know the color but from the same side as the black wire is on count 4 slots over and that is where I got the 12v from.
Goooooo
oooPooo
should look like that.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:43 PM
bremner44
Rookie

I'll try to post picture tomorrow.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Northern Ram

Just a heads up, the parts came in today, so I did it the old fashion way...test light, and a bolt for a ground.
Anyway, With my 09 Laramies, the color code was as follows:
Power: Pink/White
Ground:White/Green
and these are for the wires that go to the rear view mirror.

it is sure nice to get rid of the cable going down to the power plug in the console.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:55 PM
bremner44
Rookie
Default Hard Wire Pictures

Here are pictures. I used the pink wire for power, and the black for ground. It's an older PNI SilverBullet, but it never failed me in my car and I expect it to do the same in my truck. I like the fact that it's not big and bulky.

Hard Wire Radar Detector-dscn0204a.jpg Hard Wire Radar Detector-dscn0206a.jpg

Hard Wire Radar Detector-dscn0217a.jpg Hard Wire Radar Detector-dscn0208a.jpg

Old 06-26-2009, 03:57 AM
morepower29
Professional

looks good. I think my passport 8500 is too big to mount like that. I wish it was smaller so I could though.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:47 PM
seigell
Veteran

Bremner: can you also provide a detail or two of the nifty little mount attached to the underside of the mirror ?? Is that glued ?? Did you make it yourself or where to purchase ?? (details)

Earlier in the thread: Drober30 provided links to a few sites for the Invisicord and a Mirror Mount system originally intended for the 350Z.
I ran across another website for a different Mirror Mount system (from one of the forum ads - imagine getting something more useful than "Chevy Silverado XFE beats XYZ in MPG"):
http://www.mgtmotorsports.com/mgt_blendmount.html
This company offers specific mounts for 2-3 different Detector brands as well as a few other "generic" mounts (and quite a selection of replacement Mirror systems and Engine Performance Monitor systems).

Anyone have experience with any of these ?? At prices over $70 for a little bit of machined plastic and metal, you really want some independent reviews before diving in...

Old 06-29-2009, 11:02 AM
seigell
Veteran

The Inviscord works Great !! Attached Ground to the Black wire (in corner of wire harness connector for uConnect Mic'd Mirror) and power to the Pink wire (center of bottom row).
My Beltronics i940 Detector powers up when Ignition is ON and Off when Off - perfect.
And NO CORD dangling down to the Center Console !!

I'll be looking to buy another for my other car...
http://www.invisicord.com/index.html

Now to find a quality mirror-mount at a reasonable price...

Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Smile
Rookie

thanks for all your input guys...i'm going to do this mod in a few days with my v1. i have the v1 fuse box kit from my previous car so i will be using that so i can save $12. =)

Old 06-30-2009, 11:17 PM
bremner44
Rookie

Originally Posted by seigell
Bremner: can you also provide a detail or two of the nifty little mount attached to the underside of the mirror ?? Is that glued ?? Did you make it yourself or where to purchase ?? (details)
If you Click on the last picture it should enlarge it. I cut off the part of the mount that went to the suction cups. I took the part that attaches to the radar detector and drilled a small hole through the bottom and used a small screw to hold the mount on. It took some trial and error with bending the metal to get it level.

Quick Reply: Hard Wire Radar Detector