4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard Wire Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:12 AM
Lomaxx777
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Wire Radar Detector

Has anyone Hard wired a Radar Detector in their 09 yet. if so How did u do it. I have a roof concole where the rear power windsheild is, Could i run it t there?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:21 PM
wellstep
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardwire

I was thinking of running it to the console lights in the same location but wanted to have it keyed off the ignition. Not sure what Iam going to do you can't get to the fuse box without going through the firewall. If you did something can you sahare the information.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:25 PM
speedgtp

Originally Posted by Lomaxx777
Has anyone Hard wired a Radar Detector in their 09 yet. if so How did u do it. I have a roof concole where the rear power windsheild is, Could i run it t there?
I ran mine from that location. Just used a meter to find hot and grnd. I have a V1 so I just made a cord to fit. It was very easy. Go for it!

Old 06-08-2009, 04:36 PM
wmichell227
Veteran

I am thinking of going inside the drivers side a-pillar, not for a radar detector but for my garmin. has anyone located a hot and ground there?

Old 06-08-2009, 07:55 PM
usp45compact
Professional

Originally Posted by wmichell227
I am thinking of going inside the drivers side a-pillar, not for a radar detector but for my garmin. has anyone located a hot and ground there?

Do you need to keep your drivers side 12v outlet open for something else?

I put my garmin in that same position and was able to run the wire down and behind the dash panels and just plug it in. Wire hid very well. My left 12v powers up when the truck starts and thus turns on the gps when I start the truck and powers off when I turn the truck off. The passenger side outlet is a constant on outlet, so handy in other circumstances.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:02 PM
wmichell227
Veteran

Originally Posted by usp45compact
Do you need to keep your drivers side 12v outlet open for something else?

I put my garmin in that same position and was able to run the wire down and behind the dash panels and just plug it in. Wire hid very well. My left 12v powers up when the truck starts and thus turns on the gps when I start the truck and powers off when I turn the truck off. The passenger side outlet is a constant on outlet, so handy in other circumstances.
Uh, I didnt know there was a plug there. I'm going outside to check as soon as I finish my ice cream cone.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:08 PM
wmichell227
Veteran

Nope no plug on the DS unless I'm overlooking it. I have an 09 sport CC with a center console.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:28 PM
usp45compact
Professional

Originally Posted by wmichell227
Nope no plug on the DS unless I'm overlooking it. I have an 09 sport CC with a center console.

Hmm, well that sucks I guess. Mine is a crew cab, but without the console. It has 2 outlets on either side of the cupholders. So I'm assuming the outlet you do have probably stays powered on all the time? My wife's tarus didn't, my old explorer did, and now this truck does both. Might be worth your while to double check. In the mean time, I'll try to look at the back side of run only outlet when I get off work and see if I can tell where it connects to. I'm willing to bet you have the same basic wiring behind there to just tie into.

Also, just out of curiousity, do the rams with the center console have an outlet inside the armrest? Mine has a hole like it should have one, but is covered with a plastic cap.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:23 AM
blue2050
Veteran

I have the center console in a 2009 Ram.

Mine has a cigarette lighter between the gear selector and cup holders. I have the smokers package.Option "JJAP" "Cigar Lighter"
Another on the rear of the console for the rear passengers.
Power points.....
These two are on when the truck is on. Off when the truck is off.

There is another inside the console top compartment...arm rest. Open the top compartment and its towards the front.
This one is on all the time.
There is an upper and lower compartment with the center console.
The lower; larger; compartment does not have a power point.

There is switched 12vdc going to the radio if nothing else. Easy enough to penetrate the firewall and splice into the TPIM. I have done it twice. Added a rear camera and a remote for the tailgate lock.

All 3 power points have plastic caps that snap over and have 12VDC printed on them.

110vac on the dash part of the center console.

I thought all cars and trucks had a power point these days.

Last edited by blue2050; 06-09-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:41 AM
seigell
Veteran

What is the best connect point for 12v in the overhead ?? A point that doesn't require running wiring around the window frame and down the A-pillar ??

The Ram has an Acre+ of Dash-top, but that puts all your devices right out on display for anyone to see. And for the Sun to bake, and for the unsightly cables... Tucked up under/beside/above the rearview mirror reduces all of these issues - but only if you can source power up there.

Hey, does the standard wiring harness have a branch for the sunroof option ?? Is it available in the headliner for non-sunroof models ??

Quick Reply: Hard Wire Radar Detector