4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Paint Job?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a big fan of clay bars, I love them for removing enbedded particles. I have never seen a rust spot come back from manufacturing or rail dust. If the spots returned, they are coming from underneath the paint. This is not a good situation. I would get the sales mgr and the body shop mgr together for a meeting at the dealership. Get this documented well because I don't think you are at the end of the road with this issue.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:15 PM
thirtydaZe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
I am a big fan of clay bars, I love them for removing enbedded particles. I have never seen a rust spot come back from manufacturing or rail dust. If the spots returned, they are coming from underneath the paint. This is not a good situation. I would get the sales mgr and the body shop mgr together for a meeting at the dealership. Get this documented well because I don't think you are at the end of the road with this issue.

what he said.

i called the guy who sold me my truck after seeing some specks on the front wheel....

the detailer was able to get them cleaned up and it turned out not to be rail dust. that being said, they specifically told me that if it was in fact rail dust it would have to be taken to the body shop for the work to be done.

get on it though, from what iv'e read, rail dust is basically metal flakes from the train/track, which will infact rust.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Tankit
Professional

I guess I lucked out I too have a white ram but do not see any issues with the paint, I hope you are able to get this resolved!!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 05:43 PM
DodgeRam09
Professional

This truck gets washed and waxed every week by me. The salt sat on the truck for 2 days before it got washed again. I made sure I clay barred the tailgate exceptionally well and I didn't not see any rust at all when I was done, not even on the rest of the body. The same exact spot that was the worse before I clay barred is back even bigger. I am going to call tomorrow and see what they say. I am starting to think that the first owner turned it in because of this problem. They told me he wanted heated seats which is cynical to me. I bet he complained so they gave him equal trade and tried to sell this one.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 PM
DodgeRam09
Professional

Does anyone have Unlimited Carfax report? I ran the VIN and it said 6 records were available.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

I would take it back to the dealer and tell them that you don't want your truck back until it's fixed and demand a loaner. I had water spots on my Corvette that would mysteriously reappear. I'd clay bar, wax, polish, etc. and they'd be gone for 3 - 4 days and then they'd start coming back. The longer you didn't wax/polish the more prominent they got. It was weird. I threatened to bad mouth the dealership on the forum and in the local corvette club and they changed their attitude immediately. They ended up shipping the car off to the best paint shop in town b/c they didn't want to let their own guys mess it up.

Quick Reply: Bad Paint Job?