4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bed cover options

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:01 PM
mheath
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j0e
hmmm... lotsa back flips and tonneaus; but still noone with a hard fiberglass lid?

I would never even consider one...........I am always hauling stuff that is taller than the bed.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:26 PM
seigell
Veteran

And... How do you design something that handles the very big tailgate spoiler lip ??

Old 05-31-2009, 04:39 PM
j0e
Professional

Originally Posted by seigell
And... How do you design something that handles the very big tailgate spoiler lip ??
not sure what you mean. it would be no different than designing anything else?
and, theyre already produced... i just want to see a pic of one installed.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

The Undercover also deals with the "big tailgate spoiler lip" no problem.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:16 AM
wmichell227
Veteran

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
The Undercover also deals with the "big tailgate spoiler lip" no problem.
YEP, and it takes only a couple seconds to remove it.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 AM
RichardR

Any for the RamBox? Went to Hitch city and dealer here in Toronto and they only have the soft cover available.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Parisv
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roll up soft cover opinions and observations

I had a Truxedo Truxport on my Titan before they came out with the angled edges. Great cover, but it stood straight up an inch on the sides. The newer ones have the angled edges which looks much nicer. Never had a problem with the Truxedo. For the new Ram, I really wanted something low profile (and not too expensive), so I went with the Agricover Access Vanish. I just installed it (very easy). It looks great and seems to be built well, but honestly the Truxedo seemed a little sturdier. Which is probably due to the high sides and all the extra weight. However, I can see a gap near the back of the truck cab along the front bed rail. I would guess it won't be as water tight in extreme conditions, but should hold up well enough for my needs. To me it looks a lot better than my older Truxport, but I haven't seen a newer version of the Truxport in person to really say how it would stack up. I will say the Truxedo was definitely water tight. It had weather stripping in the front and back to prevent any water from getting in. Never got a drop in the bed. Time will tell on this one....

However, for me a roll-up or flip-up type cover is the only way to go. I don't want to be somewhere and suddenly need the whole bed and not be able to use it. That's just me though. I also don't keep anything in the bed typically, so I'm not concerned about getting stuff stolen.

I'll keep you all posted. Pictures below for those that may be interested.

Name:  P1000264.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  73.5 KB

Name:  P1000265.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  68.4 KB

Old 06-03-2009, 10:34 PM
lubepimp
Amateur

Originally Posted by Parisv
I had a Truxedo Truxport on my Titan before they came out with the angled edges. Great cover, but it stood straight up an inch on the sides. The newer ones have the angled edges which looks much nicer. Never had a problem with the Truxedo. For the new Ram, I really wanted something low profile (and not too expensive), so I went with the Agricover Access Vanish. I just installed it (very easy). It looks great and seems to be built well, but honestly the Truxedo seemed a little sturdier. Which is probably due to the high sides and all the extra weight. However, I can see a gap near the back of the truck cab along the front bed rail. I would guess it won't be as water tight in extreme conditions, but should hold up well enough for my needs. To me it looks a lot better than my older Truxport, but I haven't seen a newer version of the Truxport in person to really say how it would stack up. I will say the Truxedo was definitely water tight. It had weather stripping in the front and back to prevent any water from getting in. Never got a drop in the bed. Time will tell on this one....

However, for me a roll-up or flip-up type cover is the only way to go. I don't want to be somewhere and suddenly need the whole bed and not be able to use it. That's just me though. I also don't keep anything in the bed typically, so I'm not concerned about getting stuff stolen.

I'll keep you all posted. Pictures below for those that may be interested.

Dude, is that a mirror finish on your truck! Nice work.

I'm also looking for a RamBox fix and have sent e-mails out to several of the manufacturerers mentioned in this thread. Hopefully someone will have something for us!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Parisv
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. No, just factory Brilliant Black. It was recently washed, but no special waxes or anything. I just keep it pretty clean.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Yeah, I noticed that on my truck as well. The shine/mirror finish on this truck without any wax or anything was better than on my vette that had many coats of Zaino. I'm now just wondering how long it will last.

Quick Reply: Bed cover options