4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bed cover options

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. But I need a cover strong enough to hold an ATV or motorcycle.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 AM
seigell
Veteran

Isn't that what the truck bed is for - the ATV ??
Hence the fold-up / get-out-of-way design of a Bakflip...
(Or the roll-up design of most soft covers...)

Or, if your ATV collection grows, there is always that little Class-IV hitch thingy...
It looks like it could be rather useful...

But, hey, if you want your bike riding up high, someone probably makes one of those, too...

Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 AM
buckarcher
Veteran

Originally Posted by trimble81
Has anyone seen the BakflipCS? I use my truck for work and like the idea of the ladder rack. It seems most covers would restrict the use of a universal ladder rack so I wanted to know how sturdy this option would be?

Maybe for a couple of 2x4s, but no way would I put any kind of weight on that. If it doesn't sit in the pockets then I wouldn't trust it going around bends. It is nice that it is adjustable, but when would you ever need that? Anyhow, you can use latter racks with these, the bed rails are exposed and functional. It would also clear the front width bar on the front of the racks, but even if it didn't it can be held up in almost any position, and taken of very easily. If your concerned of the plastic not being durable enough you can go with the aluminum, but it is pricey or else I would have one. You can get a good idea of how the look/operate here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWVkT5srTX4

Old 05-21-2009, 11:28 AM
trimble81

Originally Posted by buckarcher
Maybe for a couple of 2x4s, but no way would I put any kind of weight on that. If it doesn't sit in the pockets then I wouldn't trust it going around bends. It is nice that it is adjustable, but when would you ever need that? Anyhow, you can use latter racks with these, the bed rails are exposed and functional. It would also clear the front width bar on the front of the racks, but even if it didn't it can be held up in almost any position, and taken of very easily. If your concerned of the plastic not being durable enough you can go with the aluminum, but it is pricey or else I would have one. You can get a good idea of how the look/operate here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWVkT5srTX4
Thanks for the info. I like the fact that it is removable. I've used the removable racks in the past and they have mounting hardware that bolts to the bed rails. The same place that the bakflip rails would go. I guess I could get something fabricated that would be less expensive than the CS system. I don't use a rack very often, but it's nice when I have to haul long lengths of trim. This is the type of rack I would want to use. http://www.weatherguard.com/pdfs/24-0192.pdf

Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by seigell
Isn't that what the truck bed is for - the ATV ??
Hence the fold-up / get-out-of-way design of a Bakflip...
(Or the roll-up design of most soft covers...)

Or, if your ATV collection grows, there is always that little Class-IV hitch thingy...
It looks like it could be rather useful...

But, hey, if you want your bike riding up high, someone probably makes one of those, too...
I'm talking about something like this:

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...truckcover.htm

It comes with tie downs and can carry up to 1,600 lbs. They also have a contractor version with a ladder rack or an ATV package with a ramp and everything. The only problem is it's a little pricey and I'm not a fan of the color/style. I'd prefer an undercover with tie downs, but that would void the Undercover warranty. I'm still considering just giving it a shot. Since I haven't decided on what I want to do, I haven't made a purchase.

With a setup like this, I can put the camping gear in the bed, and it's locked up and secure. The bike or ATV can go on top of the bed. And the boat is attached to the Class IV hitch. This way I can bring everything I want/need with just the truck.

Also, there are plenty of times when you'd like to have some things locked up and dry, but you have more stuff than can fit under the cover, so you could strap down and secure the rest to the top of the cover. It's much more versatile this way.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:37 PM
buckarcher
Veteran

Thanks for the info. I like the fact that it is removable. I've used the removable racks in the past and they have mounting hardware that bolts to the bed rails. The same place that the bakflip rails would go. I guess I could get something fabricated that would be less expensive than the CS system. I don't use a rack very often, but it's nice when I have to haul long lengths of trim. This is the type of rack I would want to use. http://www.weatherguard.com/pdfs/24-0192.pdf

You may be interested in these, although they are full size. My dad had an old dodge with latter racks when I was a kid. Add one big green tarp for instant camp site. We ould sleep in the bed and have our other gear on the ground out of the rain. I dont like the looks, but want to get a quick removable set for tailgating. good luck with your search.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:50 PM
buckarcher
Veteran

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
I'm talking about something like this:

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...truckcover.htm

It comes with tie downs and can carry up to 1,600 lbs. They also have a contractor version with a ladder rack or an ATV package with a ramp and everything. The only problem is it's a little pricey and I'm not a fan of the color/style. I'd prefer an undercover with tie downs, but that would void the Undercover warranty. I'm still considering just giving it a shot. Since I haven't decided on what I want to do, I haven't made a purchase.

With a setup like this, I can put the camping gear in the bed, and it's locked up and secure. The bike or ATV can go on top of the bed. And the boat is attached to the Class IV hitch. This way I can bring everything I want/need with just the truck.

Also, there are plenty of times when you'd like to have some things locked up and dry, but you have more stuff than can fit under the cover, so you could strap down and secure the rest to the top of the cover. It's much more versatile this way.

That is nice. never knew they made stuff like that, wonder how heavy it is, but no-matter because it would do just what you need. don't think the price is bad for what your getting, but it is a chunk of change.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:29 PM
trimble81

Does anyone have a close-up picture of the bakflip G2 in the folded position? I need to see the bed rail with the cover installed.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:04 PM
cicdude
Rookie

Does anyone have a close-up picture of the bakflip G2 in the folded position? I need to see the bed rail with the cover installed.
Let me try to remember to take a couple while I'm out at lunch and then I'll post them. Folded all the way to the window, or just partially?

Old 05-21-2009, 03:08 PM
trimble81

Originally Posted by cicdude
Let me try to remember to take a couple while I'm out at lunch and then I'll post them. Folded all the way to the window, or just partially?
Folded all the way up. Much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Bed cover options