4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slight vibration felt through gas pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Secret Agent Man
Yes, they're big ugly mass dampers. I am tempted to take them off and see just how bad it feels.
they remind me of the big vibration dampers we had in our helicopters. we used to have to tune them to take away harmfull vibrations. some birds took FOREVER to get right.

i am leaving mine there, even though i could shave off 100lbs probably if i took them all off.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:40 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
I do not have the MDS indicator light. I tried the auto stick technique and saw no difference in the buzz. IMO, if it is MDS induced, the trucks don't kick MDS out in auto stick mode. Somebody with a light, let us know on the stick please.
i am going to try the mds mod light this weekend i think. i will let you know if it works so then you can do it yourself.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:10 PM
HEMI_ROM
Captain

Originally Posted by Secret Agent Man
The chassis mounts are completely different on a standard cab than they are on a crew cab truck. Each wheelbase, powertrain and cab configuration is tuned independently. NVH is tricky stuff.
That explains a lot right there (different mounts), thanks for that info. You are also correct about this being tricky stuff. I have to deal with these issues at microwave frequencies........spur city.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:05 PM
WVU Fan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to post a little more about this issue. I don't think it is related to MDS at all. I actually believe the vibration is there constantly, in all rpm ranges, and at all times. It's just most noticeable in the lower rpm range. I was hoping I'd just get used to it, but unfortunately I don't think I'm going to. I will probably report it to the dealer at some point just to have it logged, however I don't have any hopes that they could actually do something about it.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WVU, I agree. I don't think it is MDS related either. I have really watched it for the past week. It really sucks. I guess I just pay too much attention to it. Some people are bothered by "little things" more than others. I guess that I am one of them because it bothers me a lot. Balance and harmonics is a compromise between RPM ranges. I have the buzz most of the time even at highway speeds upto 2K rpm. That is another reason that I recommend 3.92 gearing. I don't think that anything short of a different dampener/balancer will affect this problem. My 02 had the 4.7, did the 03-08 hemi have this buzz?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

i did not have 3.92's in my 03 or 05 and had no buzzes. i have 3.92's now and still no buzz.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM
WVU Fan
Professional

Dr. Bill, you are correct. I'm also very in tune to things such as this in my vehicles. A lot of people could get in it and not even notice, but this really isn't that hard to detect if you pay attention.

My brother has an 03 Ram with the 5.7 and doesn't have any such issues. My 06 Charger with the 5.7 didn't have anything like this either. This is something unique to the 09 Rams I believe, and possibly only the Crew Cab models with the 5.7.

I don't foresee a solution to it either as it's a tuning issue the engineers would have to address IMO. I'm anxious to see over time if this becomes something that more people notice and question. I would love to bring this up to the Dodge engineers and see what they have to say.

Sarguy, there is the possibility it may not exist on all trucks. Maybe as time goes on we can figure out exactly which configurations are affected. I do know that if I had on very thick soled boots or shoes I may not notice it. At least not through the pedals, but as stated before you can feel it slightly through the steering wheel and floorboard as well. However with the dress shoes I wear on a daily basis it's very easy to detect.

For those that have it, make sure to post what configuration your truck is, such as the following information which is for my truck.

09 Ram, 5.7, Crew Cab, 4x4, 3.55 gears, adjustable pedals and a build date of Oct. 08.

Last edited by WVU Fan; 02-20-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:32 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by WVU Fan
Dr. Bill, you are correct. I'm also very in tune to things such as this in my vehicles. A lot of people could get in it and not even notice, but this really isn't that hard to detect if you pay attention.

My brother has an 03 Ram with the 5.7 and doesn't have any such issues. My 06 Charger with the 5.7 didn't have anything like this either. This is something unique to the 09 Rams I believe, and possibly only the Crew Cab models with the 5.7.

I don't foresee a solution to it either as it's a tuning issue the engineers would have to address IMO. I'm anxious to see over time if this becomes something that more people notice and question. I would love to bring this up to the Dodge engineers and see what they have to say.

Sarguy, there is the possibility it may not exist on all trucks. Maybe as time goes on we can figure out exactly which configurations are affected. I do know that if I had on very thick soled boots or shoes I may not notice it. At least not through the pedals, but as stated before you can feel it slightly through the steering wheel and floorboard as well. However with the dress shoes I wear on a daily basis it's very easy to detect.

For those that have it, make sure to post what configuration your truck is, such as the following information which is for my truck.

09 Ram, 5.7, Crew Cab, 4x4, 3.55 gears, adjustable pedals and a build date of Oct. 08.
2009 5.7, Crew, 4x4, 3.92, non-adjustable pedals, build Oct. 08.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:29 AM
MisterScott
Rookie

Not to thread jack here, but I get a very serious lower frequency vibration when I am locked in 4 wheel drive, like something is seriously out of balance up front. I have a Laramie crew 4X4. I have not noticed the other vibration.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:12 AM
WVU Fan
Professional

No worries, and not a thread jack at all. Your vibration could be related to the one I and a few others are feeling in 2WD, only it's more noticeable for you while in 4WD.

Quick Reply: Slight vibration felt through gas pedal?