4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rattle passenger side dash/door?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:10 PM
mike2810
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I finally found the rattle with help from my better half. My wife helped me isolate the front passenger side rattle. It was not in the dash but coming from somewhere in the engine compartment. We found out it was the hood flexing on the plastic square hood stops. We discover the noise by pushing on the hood to cause it to flex up/down and a little sideways. There is one on the left and right side of the engine compartment. We placed small strips of foam weather stripping on the top of the plastic hood stops. No more rattle. The cab is once again nice and quiet.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:52 PM
uashemi
Professional

Good to know. I HATE RATTLES! I had an 04 Frontier Crew Cab that I expected to have some issues but not the dash making crazy vibration rattles and the air bag moving around in the steering wheel. Anyway it drove me so crazy that I got rid of the truck.

Would this fix count as a modification that voids the warranty . . .

Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 PM
mike2810
Captain

Originally Posted by uashemi
Would this fix count as a modification that voids the warranty . . .
Like your sense of humor.

I would image Dodge would honor the body works warranty, because of the weather stripping I most likely voided the lifetime power train warranty. But it beats taking it to the shop and spending a day waiting for Dodge to fix the problem.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

There are two plastic hood 'bumpers' where the front of the hood closes down to the front end module. Was it one of these that had some clearance allowing it to rattle? If so you can actually adjust these bumpers. If you turn them clockwise or counterclockwise you can raise or lower them. They have detents so they will take a little bit of effort to turn, but not much. If you think your weather stripping fix might not be a good permanent solution, you can try adjusting these bumpers. good luck.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:07 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had solid motor mounts in my SRT-4. It was a rattle on wheels. EVERYTHING made noise.

My Ram has none. I guess I have been lucky.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:35 PM
mike2810
Captain

Originally Posted by Secret Agent Man
There are two plastic hood 'bumpers' where the front of the hood closes down to the front end module. Was it one of these that had some clearance allowing it to rattle? If so you can actually adjust these bumpers. If you turn them clockwise or counterclockwise you can raise or lower them. They have detents so they will take a little bit of effort to turn, but not much. If you think your weather stripping fix might not be a good permanent solution, you can try adjusting these bumpers. good luck.
Yep, it was the left (passenger side) plastic bumper. Besides the weather stripping, I did adjust the left one up a bit. I added the weather stripping to both sides because the bumper was wearing against the paint on the right side. If the stripping comes off or wears out, its easy to replace.

Quick Reply: Rattle passenger side dash/door?