4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MDS Mode Light - Can I Get it Added?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MDS Mode Light - Can I Get it Added?

My truck did not come with the light to tell me when my MDS is on or in 4 cylinder mode. Can I have this added? Is it a programming thing? Or would I need to swap out the whole instrument cluster?

Old 03-05-2009, 05:57 PM
navyr6
Professional

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
My truck did not come with the light to tell me when my MDS is on or in 4 cylinder mode. Can I have this added? Is it a programming thing? Or would I need to swap out the whole instrument cluster?
i was wondering the same thing

Old 03-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think are of us with prior to 12-08 trucks would like to know. Hopefully one of the dealership members will let us know.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
mike2810
Captain

I'm in the same situation. I called customer service and they were no help. One option I am considering is the Dashhawk. http://www.dashhawk.com/. It's listed as $299. Connects to the OBDII port in the cab. Provides some of the same info we allready get, but does have an option to display when the mds is active.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:15 PM
dodge5.9liter
Professional

your going to most likely replace the whole cluster. Your not going to have the light or symbol light up unless it is on the dash already which is not. So most likely replacing cluster and a software update.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:39 AM
rjc799
Veteran

So this comes on the newer ones? Just ordered mine and hope it comes with it.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodge5.9liter
your going to most likely replace the whole cluster. Your not going to have the light or symbol light up unless it is on the dash already which is not. So most likely replacing cluster and a software update.
The reason I'm wondering is b/c some of the lights aren't just a cut-out with a light behind it. The same light can display multiple things, so they might just be able to reprogram it.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:26 AM
randomraider

I'd really like to have this added along with a tailgate lock if at all possible.

I can tell by watching the RPMs drop when it is in MDS, but an indicator would be a lot better for me.

Mainly just so I could tailor my cruise control on the highway for maximum speed while keeping MDS kicked in.

I live in West Texas and everything is pretty flat here. I drive to Dallas and to East Texas a few times a year and take Interstate the whole way...relatively flat travelling...so I would love to be able to nail some high MPG on that trip.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If your RPMs drop when in MDS mode, so would your speed, neither actually happens. You may be seeing the torque converter lock up when the RPMs drop.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:20 PM
randomraider

Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
If your RPMs drop when in MDS mode, so would your speed, neither actually happens. You may be seeing the torque converter lock up when the RPMs drop.

Hmm...OK, I should preface by saying I can't, under any circumstance, be considered even a novice mechanic (oil changes, plugs, thermostats, batteries, and the like are the extent of my mechanic abilities).

I can watch the RPMs and usually when slowly accelerating (city driving 35-50mph) they hover around 1500-2000. When I just try to maintain speed, after a few seconds, the rpms will drop down to anywhere from 1100-1400. I've always assumed (know what happens when you assume ) that this was MDS kicking in, but I'm not totally sure. Usually when I see the RPMs drop like that, I've started noticing increases on my computer in MPG and Miles to Empty...again furthering my assumption.

Would love for someone to explain it for me...I'd like to find a way to tell if I'm in MDS or not, since I don't have the indicator.

FYI...I have the 3.21 gears.

Quick Reply: MDS Mode Light - Can I Get it Added?