4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got my XDI extreme intake a few minutes ago

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my XDI extreme intake a few minutes ago

So i opted for the XDI intake based on some internet research and the glowing review of someone on this forum....

BUT..

now that im looking at it.. i might send it back. It is not a true cold air intake... it is just a filter sucking in air from under the hood.. its not routed at all...

So before i install it, im thinking about sending it back and getting the volant.

I still have 7 hours before i get off work before i can even think about installing it... so maybe ill change my mind and keep it.. but i doubt it...

come find out after i bought it.. that its not even carb certified.. so this have a few strikes against it already...

we will see how this turns out...

Old 03-05-2009, 03:48 PM
srt8/bmw
Amateur

interesting. I ordered one today. This truck is fantastic--absolutely love it. But--it clearly needs a tune and some better breathing to really unleash the 390hp. It seems, like all Chrysler products, to have serious factory "retard" built into the ECU and shift points.

I am not waiting for the Diablo (although that really woke up my other Hemis like nobody's business). Am getting it flashed/tuned by B and G.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

I would return it and go for the Volant in that case. I can't see the XDI really doing you any good.

I had the Edge programmer on my last truck and it made a big difference. Might consider the same for this truck.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:00 PM
srt8/bmw
Amateur

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
I would return it and go for the Volant in that case. I can't see the XDI really doing you any good.

I had the Edge programmer on my last truck and it made a big difference. Might consider the same for this truck.
might just do that.. Where is the volant available? Also--mopar has one availble.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

I had the edge evo in my f150 and it sucked!

yeah it was quiker but with the COI i had on that truck.. on stages 2 & 3 there was a terrible drone from under the hood. I was told i could get a custom tune to fixed but never did.. just kept in on stage 1.

i did like it for the engine temp and oil and all that but the ram already has that... well see when they come out with one

Old 03-05-2009, 07:52 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the XDI and see if you get the gains that others have reported here. Even though it isn't a true cold air intake, few of them are, people have reported up to 2mpg increases with them and more power. There is a pic of it installed on blue2050's truck here at the bottom of the page https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...ssories-2.html. Both blue and vector reported good results with that intake on their 09's so I would give it a shot.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

yeah i went ahead and installed it during my lunch break (took about 40 minutes by myself which includes the 10 minutes that it took to get the nut from the battery out of being stuck INSIDE my socket lol)

Ill drive home tonight and see if it wakes up the engine as much as my S&B intake did my F150.

I figure if this thing give me 10 HP then i wont sweat it that i could have maybe got 14 from somewhere else... ill keep you guys posted..

and BTW im one of those guys who gets the intakes, exhaust, chips, programmers, electric fan swaps, lifters, spark plug swaps, coils and wires, fancy oils and lubes and usually doesn't notice a damn thing changing lol

in fact the only two mods i ever really done to any of my vehicles that i really noticed a night and day difference was the S&B intake for my F150 and some Bilstien Shocks for my Dakota...

Old 03-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

Ok so i took the 10 mile drive home and wow.. im not sure if i installed a intake or exhaust! this thing makes the truck sound like i just swapped out the muffler!

I just sold my F150 supercrew less than a month ago and that had a flowmaster super 44 with a pipe dumped right before the axle and now my rams exhaust sounds so much better.

go ahead.. buy this... if you get a mod... get this.. or something like it... i dont know about mileage yet but the truck picks up a lot quiker... buy it

Old 03-05-2009, 10:32 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doc Fluty
yeah i went ahead and installed it during my lunch break (took about 40 minutes by myself which includes the 10 minutes that it took to get the nut from the battery out of being stuck INSIDE my socket lol)

Ill drive home tonight and see if it wakes up the engine as much as my S&B intake did my F150.

I figure if this thing give me 10 HP then i wont sweat it that i could have maybe got 14 from somewhere else... ill keep you guys posted..

and BTW im one of those guys who gets the intakes, exhaust, chips, programmers, electric fan swaps, lifters, spark plug swaps, coils and wires, fancy oils and lubes and usually doesn't notice a damn thing changing lol

in fact the only two mods i ever really done to any of my vehicles that i really noticed a night and day difference was the S&B intake for my F150 and some Bilstien Shocks for my Dakota...
Cool let us know

Old 03-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

lol.. just did

Quick Reply: Got my XDI extreme intake a few minutes ago