4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
I agree that I like the HIDS much better, I just don't know that I'm ready to do anything like that before the bumper to bumper warranty is up. I've heard of bad stories with aftermarkets HIDs on other vehicles/forums.
It's not the HID look I was going for, it was the utility of the HIDs. The light output and spread is far superior to the halogens. I'm not trying to make a fashion statement, I just want to see the road farther and clearer. I installed these for the sake of safety - if I can see farther down the road then that means I have more time to react to whatever inputs are needed. I drive through almost 200 miles of desert road, mostly at night to get to Parker, Arizona, that's where we go boating, and it sure makes driving much easier to see what's up ahead then not seeing things until they are right in front of you.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

I understand where you're coming from. Just not sure I want to tackle that right now. I guess i'm worried that they don't exactly fit and I've heard stories from others about wires melting, lights going out, and other problems. Maybe those are all from years ago and HIDs have gotten much better. Either way, I'd love to check in with you in a year or so.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 AM
finc.jb
Professional

Well you made it that much easier for me to decide that I need HIDs. Driving to the lake and around there at night with all the deer and such, it's now a must have.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think i am going to put lights under the grill before switching to HID's. i have heard horror stories of them failing.

then again, i know some people that never have any problems.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:10 PM
adamtrahan
Default HID flicker

I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 and I have the same problem. I installed a 6000K kit and it is fine while the truck is off but when it is running they flicker. The company sent me some resistors and I installed them. It didnt change a thing. They said now they are going to send me some "cancellers" and that should fix it. Any other suggestions if that doesnt work? Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails HID Lights-3-4.jpg   HID Lights-inside.jpg  

Last edited by adamtrahan; 03-13-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

Originally Posted by adamtrahan
I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 and I have the same problem. I installed a 6000K kit and it is fine while the truck is off but when it is running they flicker. The company sent me some resistors and I installed them. It didnt change a thing. They said now they are going to send me some "cancellers" and that should fix it. Any other suggestions if that doesnt work? Here are some pics.
With my kit the cancellers took care of the problem. Hopefully they should work for you. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional

Those bulbs look sweet. The stock lights are weak in comparison to the HID's I'm going to see if I can find a shop to professionally install them for me. I don't like messing with critical electrical components. Everything else I'll mess with.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

Originally Posted by Smoothbassman
Those bulbs look sweet. The stock lights are weak in comparison to the HID's I'm going to see if I can find a shop to professionally install them for me. I don't like messing with critical electrical components. Everything else I'll mess with.
It's all plug and play. You can't mess it up, all the connectors are on there already so you can't plug the wrong plug into the wrong connector. The whole job shouldn't take more than 1-1/2 hours from getting your tools out of the box to putting them back. It's a piece of cake once you figure out how to get the light housing out and to put the bottom of the grille tabs back into their slots. It's really easy.

Just remember to put some blue masking tape on the top of your bumper if you have a Sport. This way you won't scratch the paint when you remove and replace the grille.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:27 PM
adamtrahan

So I just un-installed the resistors and installed the cancellers that the company sent me. So easy to install. Just plug them in between the light and ballast. That did it. They work perfect now! No flicker or strobing at all. Make sure you get the cancellers with your kit and save yourself the pain in the a$$ of installing and re-installing different parts. Im not sure if this is only for the 2009 Ram Hemi, but it worked on mine. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional

Anyone got the link to the site in where you bought your HID's I want to get some.

Quick Reply: HID Lights