4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clearing 35's thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:15 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and on the warranty it will only void what you replace. So tech, they could void your suspension warranty. Nothing more than that.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:46 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oefootball_70
I have a 12.5 on a 17 inch 8 inch wide rim. no even wear. I say get the 35's and a 1 inch spacer for the wheels.
I have read about people that have 8 inch wheels and 12.5 inch tires that wear badly. You must not be one of them.

Spacers are not good either in my opinion. I would steer clear of them.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tires, on my stock wheels, rub when the steering wheel is turned all of the way against the control arm, but only in forward, not reverse.

I also heard the 6in. lift will not clear 37's?

Old 03-23-2009, 04:34 PM
MOPWR2U
Veteran

Originally Posted by oefootball_70
and on the warranty it will only void what you replace. So tech, they could void your suspension warranty. Nothing more than that.
On the warranty issue ...

The way I look at it, the TRX truck has spacers in the front suspension that make it ride 2" higher than my Laramie does. I am going to add a spacer so that my Laramie will ride at the exact same height as the TRX. I figure Dodge designed it to work ok at that ride height, and I doubt I will have any problems that require warranty work, ... that are due to the spacer. I'm not worried about it. Worse case scenario I blow a CV joint and Dodge refuses to cover it. I can afford a CV joint, but I seriously doubt its going to be an issue. If someone were worried I'm sure they could purchase the actual TRX spacers from Dodge, and have them installed by a Dodge dealership, in which case there would be no warranty issues at all.

MOPWR2U

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 03-23-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:40 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
On the warranty issue ...

The way I look at it, the TRX truck has spacers in the front suspension that make it ride 2" higher than my Laramie does. I am going to add a spacer so that my Laramie will ride at the exact same height as the TRX. I figure Dodge designed it to work ok at that ride height, and I doubt I will have any problems that require warranty work, ... that are due to the spacer. I'm not worried about it. Worse case scenario I blow a CV joint and Dodge refuses to cover it. I can afford a CV joint, but I seriously doubt its going to be an issue. If someone were worried I'm sure they could purchase the actual TRX spacers from Dodge, and have them installed by a Dodge dealership, in which case there would be no warranty issues at all.

MOPWR2U

That's what i was thinking. Not to mention your average dodge dealership mechanic isn't going to have a single clue that you have a spacer in there. I seriously wouldn't worry about it, do it!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:58 PM
MOPWR2U
Veteran

Thanks to the person that posted the Rough Country lift information. I just called them and ordered a set of 3/4" spacers for the rear suspension. Call me crazy, but I happen to like the "raked" look of most pickup trucks. If a truck is perfectly level when empty it is going to look like it is squatting big time when it has a trailer hooked to it, and I do a fair amount of towing with my truck.

I was a bit worried that I would not like the stance with the front end 2" higher than stock and the rear the same as stock. It could stand to be leveled out some, but 2" seemed like it was going to be more than I wanted.

Well it turns out that the coil spring spacers that fit the rear of a Ram 1500 are the exact same coil spring spacers that fit a Jeep TJ, so there are already a kajillion different coil spring spacers on the market that will fit this truck. I ordered the shortest ones that are available, and they will lift the rear of the truck by 3/4", which will keep the truck at a perfect stance in my opinion. They cost $46, and will be shipped out this evening.

And for those of you that may be considering taller spacers in the back, ... take a look under your truck. If you lift it more than an inch or so you are going to have to reposition the track bar and lengthen the sway bar links, which I shouldn't have to do with just a 3/4" lift. You would also need longer shocks, and I would think you would start having to worry about the coils staying located properly with a spacer over 2". Personally, for anything more than this minimal 3/4" rear suspension lift I would be considering longer coils, adjustable control arms, longer swaybar links, longer shocks, and everything else a full blown suspension lift is going to have.

I think the 2" front lift and 3/4" rear lift are going to be perfect for 35s though.

MOPWR2U

Old 03-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Let us know how the rear spacers work out.

I personally also like the raked look so my truck looks level with the boat attached and not like it's overwhelmed by a 5,000lbs load.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:57 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

The rubbing will only happen on the control arm when the wheel is turned all of the way to either side.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:46 PM
MOPWR2U
Veteran

Here is my stock Laramie with 35x12.50R-20 Toyo Open Country MT tires. Wheels are KMC XD 20 x 9 with +18 offset.

The offset is close to perfect, any less offset and I think the tires would stick out too far.

Any more offset and the tire would rub the a-arm. The inside edge of the tire clears the upper a-arm by just 2 mm. A wheel with a +15 offset might be better in that regard, but then the outside edge of the tire would rub the inner fender liner when the tires were turned. How close does the tire come to the fender when you turn the tires? Don't ask.

I drove the truck home from the tire store today, and have put about 20 miles on it so far. Ride quality is nice and firm, and the tires are surprisingly quiet for how aggressive they are.

MOPWR2U

Old 03-26-2009, 07:51 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

I LOVE IT! It looks really good MOPWR2U. I think you are the first one here with 35's.

Quick Reply: Clearing 35's thread.