4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cheap way to secure your tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009 | 05:29 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgewasp
No, it's not so easy. You place the head facing down towards the ground, then get a long handled screw driver and tighten it up from the bottom. No crook is going to take the time (or probably even know what to do) to crawl underneath the truck to undo a screw and as far as springing it....you can't because there is not enough room to maneuver a screw driver. Anyway I hope this helps some of you guys that don't have a negative attitude about everything that is posted here.

Dodgewasp

I thought it was a great idea.

Old 03-29-2009 | 06:51 PM
sanman357

Another upside to this Mod, is when someone tries to close the tailgate improperly, it wont jump off the mount when lifting at a bad angle. Also place a piece of rubber under the hose clamp to prevent scratching the paint.

Old 03-29-2009 | 07:15 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sanman357
Another upside to this Mod, is when someone tries to close the tailgate improperly, it wont jump off the mount when lifting at a bad angle. Also place a piece of rubber under the hose clamp to prevent scratching the paint.
If anything, this is exactly why the clamp is a good idea. I almost dropped my old truck's tailgate by closing it the wrong way.

Old 03-29-2009 | 09:12 PM
allhans
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodgewasp
Came up with a way to secure your tailgate. Use a stainless steel hose clamp and rap it around the ball mount on the bottom right side of the tailgate(having a hard time describing the mount). The gate now can't be removed without going to some trouble and I don't think a crook will take the time or have the tools to remove it. You can cut the excess ban off and bend over the remaining end and then the band will not thread back through the screw. Left mine where I can get it off if I need to. So even if a crook breaks the lock he still will have hell getting off the tailgate. BTW the clamp touches nothing when opening or closing the gate. Hope this helps some of you to avoid a tailgate theft.

Dodgewasp
Question: I took a look today and think this is a great idea, but you say "right side of the tailgate." I looks like you can put a clamp on both sides. Correct?

Old 03-29-2009 | 09:15 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by allhans
Question: I took a look today and think this is a great idea, but you say "right side of the tailgate." I looks like you can put a clamp on both sides. Correct?

No. Just the right side has a slot. The left does not.

Old 03-29-2009 | 09:34 PM
ShirtaDay.com
Banned

1. The large size font is unnecessary.

2. I've never heard of anyone having their tailgate stolen (and this is truck country).

3. That's why I have a $50 comp deductible. They can do whatever they want to my truck and I don't really need to worry about it.

Old 03-29-2009 | 11:06 PM
RGVram99
Professional

sarguy01 thanks for the great idea, I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. What size clamp did you use? I'm from south Texas and tailgates are stolen all the time. Shirtaday.com lives in the Austin area where most people drive Honda's and BMW's. As for the rest of the State, from Dallas to Houston to Corpus, crooks will steal just about anything they can rip off from your truck. Around my area, the latest trend is to steal the side mirrors and light pods. I have also seen them go after spare tires, hub caps, and even the emblems. That's just the stuff on the outside, in 10 minutes an experienced thief can have my truck in Mexico. I work to damn hard for my stuff, so if someone starts making some James Bond booby traps from my Ram, I'll be the first to buy one!! I personally had a 1999 Suburban stolen while my wife and kids were shopping at the local mall. Believe me if this happens to you, you'll have a totally different outlook. But if your cool with being ripped off and just paying your insurance deductible, then good for you.

Old 03-30-2009 | 07:43 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RGVram99
sarguy01 thanks for the great idea, I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. What size clamp did you use? I'm from south Texas and tailgates are stolen all the time. Shirtaday.com lives in the Austin area where most people drive Honda's and BMW's. As for the rest of the State, from Dallas to Houston to Corpus, crooks will steal just about anything they can rip off from your truck. Around my area, the latest trend is to steal the side mirrors and light pods. I have also seen them go after spare tires, hub caps, and even the emblems. That's just the stuff on the outside, in 10 minutes an experienced thief can have my truck in Mexico. I work to damn hard for my stuff, so if someone starts making some James Bond booby traps from my Ram, I'll be the first to buy one!! I personally had a 1999 Suburban stolen while my wife and kids were shopping at the local mall. Believe me if this happens to you, you'll have a totally different outlook. But if your cool with being ripped off and just paying your insurance deductible, then good for you.
It was Dodgewasp's idea.

I'd imagine it was 2"?

Old 03-30-2009 | 07:45 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ShirtaDay.com
1. The large size font is unnecessary.

2. I've never heard of anyone having their tailgate stolen (and this is truck country).

3. That's why I have a $50 comp deductible. They can do whatever they want to my truck and I don't really need to worry about it.
1. Dodgewasp was proving a point to a certain individual. I was being funny.

2. You must not hear a lot. People get their tailgates stolen all around this truck country.

3. 50$ deductible is great, but I would rather have a higher one with a lower insurance rate.

Old 03-30-2009 | 11:50 AM
RGVram99
Professional

My bad, thanks dodgewasp for the tip, keep the great idea's coming. I am going to install a clamp today.

Quick Reply: Cheap way to secure your tailgate