4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"Discontinued" Hemi MDS VCT

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:55 PM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. You can almost feel a surge when it switches.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:08 PM
usp45compact
Professional

Originally Posted by Secret Agent Man
VCT = No 'Fuel Saver Light'
VVT = 'Fuel Saver Light'
Negatory good buddy. Mine is a 5.7 VCT and has the fuelsaver light. Manufactured February 2 in St. Louis.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Husker_Ram

Just added my info on the sticky post on this topic. This one looks to be more active.

Just noticed the light on my Ram today after I filled up. Never noticed it until today as I was looking at the average mpg display. The light goes off when coasting down a hill and seems to come on when you barely have your foot on the gas on a flat or slight downward road. Was going 30 - 40 mph at the time. Unless you're looking, can't really tell it's there in the cluster of LCD characters. I do notice a difference in the sound of the exhaust when the light comes on.

I have VCT, with locking tailgate with a build date of 120512, Dec 12 @ noon. Built @ MO plant.

Last edited by Husker_Ram; 07-14-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: added MO
Old 07-14-2009, 09:16 PM
usp45compact
Professional

Originally Posted by RamPhreak
2009 Dodge Ram SLT QC Built 2/09 VCT with Light. You can't feel the shift to 4 cyls when it occurs or when all 8 fire up again...because the pistons are still moving mainly. You really won't notice it is even there...with the exception that you see the light and try to drive it more which is distracting....along with the MPG calculations.
I'm going to have to agree, I honestly cannot notice it engaging or disengaging at all. Not one little bit. I can't hear it, I can't feel it in the pedals or in general, and I don't notice the rpms vary. Mine doesn't have any aftermarket upgrades though, it is completely factory, so maybe that is a reason. Whatever it is, I am very very satisfied with it. My sticker said I would get 18mpg on the highway and I routinely get over 20. I got 20.7mpg one cold morning on a roughly 120 mile trip.

Quick Reply: "Discontinued" Hemi MDS VCT