4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Grinding/Ratcheting Noise when Shifting into Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:15 PM
nixont
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

I don't think so. I can hear that noise too. The noise I hear when the idle is high sounds like those same solenoids trying to engage but they can't. The best description I have heard is "playing cards on bicycle spokes".

Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 AM
07ram15001993

I was just wondering if you got the noise fix my truck has started makeing that noise when I shift into reverse from park?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Fokai82

I think the dodge dealership in tucson must be off their A game.. cause when i took it in with pcm code etc they said i didnt know what i was talking about.. and the print outs from here were just online opinions.... my truck still has this noise... ive just learned to live with it till the rear end of my truck falls off..then ill see what the dealership has to say haha

Old 02-22-2014, 12:04 AM
chantillylace1967
Default grinding noise while engaging in reverse

The dealership has had my truck for a total of one month in the past 6 months....at first they said it was the transfer case, so they replaced it....didn't fix the issue....then they had it for another 3 weeks after they asked me to 'let the dust settle' over the warranty transfer case issue that didn't fix the original problem....'it's a solenoid' oh wait, no 'it's a clutch issue' ....I just got my truck back today (3 weeks later) and it's making the same freaking noise that it was when I took it in!!!!! 'There is nothing wrong with your transmission Miss, that is a 'normal' engagement sound that every dodge of the same year/make/tranny model etc has' .....REALLY!?!?!? Then why the heck did it just start making that noise 8 months ago????? And why the hell did you rip my transmission apart and replace my transfer case if it was NORMAL????? I feel as though because I'm a woman (albeit more versed in mechanics than most) that I'm being patronized and literally taken for a ride by the dealership....What is the fix for this issue??? There is no way in hell that the grinding that I hear when I put it into reverse can be normal! People in the vicinity walking by actually turn their heads and give me that 'ouch' look when it happens!!! Help!

Old 02-24-2014, 02:51 PM
AZdave
Professional

Consult a lawyer and locate your state's lemon law or it's equivalency.

Quick Reply: Grinding/Ratcheting Noise when Shifting into Reverse