4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dyno results on stock '09

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:54 AM
v8440
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socaliallstar82
Thats crazy, i thought dynojets showed higher gains.
I'm sure that's true, if the dynojet in question isn't out of whack somehow. That's what I keep stressing to you guys-a bunch of us that have dynoed fairly quick cars (not a stock pickup truck) on this dyno are convinced it reads low for whatever reason.

Also, the pulls that didn't hit the speed limiter had to be done in 2nd prime, as 3rd is 1:1, and 3rd is tall enough to hit the limiter. Not running it in direct hurt a little.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 AM
v8440
Professional

Originally Posted by ShirtaDay.com
Unfortunately a Tundra can beat our Ram.
Can they beat an '09 ram, both stock and in the same cab configuration? That isn't immediately obvious to me yet. The few confrontations I've heard about resulted in the tundra getting beaten. Of course, that's very few and reported on a dodge site, but still, I've seen nothing yet that would indicate to me that the '09 rams aren't at least a match and maybe a bit quicker than a tundra.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:43 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by v8440
Can they beat an '09 ram, both stock and in the same cab configuration? That isn't immediately obvious to me yet. The few confrontations I've heard about resulted in the tundra getting beaten. Of course, that's very few and reported on a dodge site, but still, I've seen nothing yet that would indicate to me that the '09 rams aren't at least a match and maybe a bit quicker than a tundra.
I agree with this. Lets give it some time and allow some other Ram owners to go race their trucks before the decision is made that Tundras will always beat Rams. It is too early to tell.

Besides, this is a Dodge forum. Dodge > Toyota.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:20 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i did the half ton shootout, i was impressed with how strong the tundra felt...i would have loved to put the two head to head right there..

v8440...i missed it. those numbers were from a dynojet? everything that ive ever heard about dynojets is that they are typically higher than normal, but i do agree with you completely that there are too many variables from dyno to dyno and truck to truck to say "rams make this much at the rear wheels".

Old 04-13-2009, 11:10 AM
nolimits
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tuned a good variety of cars/trucks on a Dynojet and figured I'd point out a few things:

A properly operated dynojet will give you accurate numbers, they don't run high or low and using SAE corrected numbers will be very comparable at any location/altitude. Variations do occur between different dyno companies, but those are also pretty consistent and predictable.

A standard Dynojet 248x will measure 200mph, but the speed limiter can be set before the run...the operator could have easily raised it.

A lower gear tends to give higher numbers, but I've never seen a large enough difference to make a big deal out of it. Most autos are easier to run in a lower gear to smooth out the chart (avoiding downshifts on a recorded run). Keep in mind that you're converter won't be locked up regardless of the gear chosen, so there will be extra slipping there.

The dyno is just another shop tool, the initial numbers aren't nearly as important as studying the graph itself and/or comparisons as the project evolves. I've seen plenty of people that were completely happy with thier vehicles performance, then after seeing peak numbers fall short of thier expectations they go back to the drawing board.

Quick Reply: Dyno results on stock '09