4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MyGig Lockpick Owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:12 PM
danfr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the coastaletech lockpick on my RER a few weeks ago. I really like it, but also get the intermittant audio dropouts. I also added a yanlab infrared backup camera from ebay and am very pleased with the picture. Pretty cool to be able to activate the backup camera while driving with the lockpick.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:02 PM
lross78550
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danfr
I installed the coastaletech lockpick on my RER a few weeks ago. I really like it, but also get the intermittant audio dropouts. I also added a yanlab infrared backup camera from ebay and am very pleased with the picture. Pretty cool to be able to activate the backup camera while driving with the lockpick.
what are you guys calling intermittant audio dropout? is it only on Hard drive audio files or is it sirius satellite radio or dvd/cd? I really did just install one in my 09 Ram and have had no problems. The only thing i noticed was that when i loaded very large audio files on the hard drive (384k compression rate or higher, songs of about 11meg each) then i heard high frequency crackling/dropout. I deleted those files off the hard drive and reloaded the same songs at 192k compression (files about 3 or 4 meg each) and the problem went away and the system sounds great.
Just wondering what problems you guys are having
BTW I have an 2008 model RER with 30Gig Drive and the latest RER Firmware.
Lee

Last edited by lross78550; 06-12-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:25 PM
MyGiggity

Originally Posted by my05_hemi
Will the MyWay do any other mods or just the DVD while driving? Not that thats not worth the 40.00 by itself!

Thanks,
It only does the DVD while in motion. All you have to do is pop in the disc and wait for about 10-15 minutes for the system to update, and then it works!

Old 06-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

Originally Posted by lross78550
what are you guys calling intermittant audio dropout? is it only on Hard drive audio files or is it sirius satellite radio or dvd/cd? I really did just install one in my 09 Ram and have had no problems. The only thing i noticed was that when i loaded very large audio files on the hard drive (384k compression rate or higher, songs of about 11meg each) then i heard high frequency crackling/dropout. I deleted those files off the hard drive and reloaded the same songs at 192k compression (files about 3 or 4 meg each) and the problem went away and the system sounds great.
Just wondering what problems you guys are having
BTW I have an 2008 model RER with 30Gig Drive and the latest RER Firmware.
Lee
The random audio dropouts occur with ever medium (AM/FM/Sat/CD/HDD/Aux). The CoastalTec guys are aware of it but are taking their time finding a solution. I didn't notice the problem at first when I installed it on my Ram either, as the drop outs are intermittent and thankfully semi-rare. Its still annoying though. The funny thing is that the LockPick audio drop outs only seem to be an issue with the 09 MyGig radios. I have an 08 JK with MyGig and moved the Lockpick over to that vehicle. So far no issues... Knock on wood... Perhaps I'll get the NavTV solution for the Ram...

Old 06-13-2009, 12:21 AM
lross78550
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Secret Agent Man
The random audio dropouts occur with ever medium (AM/FM/Sat/CD/HDD/Aux). The CoastalTec guys are aware of it but are taking their time finding a solution. I didn't notice the problem at first when I installed it on my Ram either, as the drop outs are intermittent and thankfully semi-rare. Its still annoying though. The funny thing is that the LockPick audio drop outs only seem to be an issue with the 09 MyGig radios. I have an 08 JK with MyGig and moved the Lockpick over to that vehicle. So far no issues... Knock on wood... Perhaps I'll get the NavTV solution for the Ram...
Ahh that explains it then, my 09 Dodge didnt come from the dealer with an RER nav system in it. It had the plain old RES I bought the RER onlline for $900 plus the cost of the lockpick v2 and multimedia harness. Anyway as i dont use an IPOD and couldnt see any other real difference i bought the 08 version of the MyGig RER (it was cheaper than the 09 version) and that would explain why im not seeing this problem ive got the 09 truck but the 08 RER. Do You know of any other differences between the 09 and 08 models of the RER, all i could find was IPOD Control ability on the 09.
Thanks
Lee

Old 06-13-2009, 12:33 AM
danfr

Mine didn't come with one either, but the RER I added is also the '09 version. I've only been listening to DVD's, so that's the only media I can confirm it is happening on. I had the RER for at least a week prior to adding the lockpick and didn't notice any audio dropouts. The droppouts started the same day I added the lockpick. It happens at least once per hour of listening. It may be my imagination, but sometimes it seems triggered by events such as putting on the brakes, turn signals, using the steering wheel audio controls, etc. Hopefully they can fix it.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:31 PM
TedEbear
Rookie

Originally Posted by MyGiggity
It only does the DVD while in motion. All you have to do is pop in the disc and wait for about 10-15 minutes for the system to update, and then it works!
Any response to the following that I found on another forum where you also posted the link to your website on?

Nice software update, but everytime there is a MyGIG update it will overwrite this custom software. Having to re-buy the custom software, at $40, everytime there's an update is a waste of money, especially if the update fixes current bugs. No mention of support on the website about this situation and no place to contact the developer on the website either.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:16 AM
RBRK
Rookie

I have the audio dropouts also with my lockpick on 09' RER. Its frustrating to me, I didn't even think of it being a Lockpick problem, I was going to have my stereo replaced under warranty. Now I guess it's probably not the stereo.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

They changed the hard drive supplier between 08 and 09 model years which probably means a software change was made. Whatever that software change was is probably causing the problem. I'm just guessing though. I just want the lockpick folks to figure it out and fix it...

Old 06-14-2009, 08:24 PM
2009detonateryellow
Amateur
Default REN Audio Dropout

I too experienced audio dropout before adding Lockpick. Went to http://www.mofv.com/mygig/ and burned 9.112 Mygig update disc...solved that problem. No problems since. As a matter of fact I did another (free) software update today. Version 9.292. you can also get a free update of Gracenotes database as well.

Quick Reply: MyGig Lockpick Owners