4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fiat Walks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:47 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 04-17-2009, 12:03 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Workers need to get paid what the market decides, not what they decide. If they want "thier slice of the pie" then they need to get an idea and throw thier own dick up on the chopping block to see if they can make it in this economy. I am a business owner.
I treat my guys pretty good. I pay half of thier health insurance, offer matched retirement, and, during the slow times, pay them hours to sit around and watch mtv or whatever the f they do. I don't need a union to pressure me into doing this, nor do they or I need to pay the huge administrative cost that go with a union pressuring me to do this. That would just be a waste of money. If a man would rather just sit home than make $19/hr. popping rivets, then I pray that the government doesn't feel the need to bail him out. Man we need Reagan right now.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:44 PM
DroopyDog
Rookie

I'm a retired Air Traffic Controller with the FAA. NATCA (the union) negotiated some big money for us. That was the good part of the union. In 2006 the Feds came in and would not work out a new contract and congress decided what was a fair wage for us which was about 45% of what we were making. I then retired. Now all the controllers who are left and couldn't retire are miserable. Can you imagine a UAW working getting the same treatment making half of what they were making? You think there are build issues now? Anyway, I guess it's better than unemployment? By the way, Thursday I ordered a new Challenger. Any bets if I ever see it arrive/built? Also, I DO NOT FLY ANYMORE!!!!!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:09 PM
qicvick
Professional

My beef is that the pensions are said to be the blame for the problems, if you want to take away future pensions and the union agrees fine, but people have already worked for these pensions there wanting to get rid of, some may have stayed in a closed factory all their life working a job they didn't like because of the pension, I work in the aircraft business and the first thing I look at now on a new contract is the pension and medical, I live in Texas and if the borders were open every fast food joint could fill every job they have for a 1.00 an hr. does that mean that is all anybody should get paid at wendys or mcdonalds because these poor people would do it? We offloaded some work to Turkey and sent some guys to train them, we were told not to tell the workers there how much we made because they were getting 8 dallars a day! So I should be willing to work for 40 dallars a week? I beleive if gm and chrysler would not have offloaded half of their work oversees then some of the laidoff workers would still be working and making payments on their new Dodges! I know that is streching it but when the main customers (americans and canadans) jobs are given to other countrys who are you going to sell to? Our lockheed ceo made 26 million salery last year and I would do it for 100 thousand so should he step down?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:14 PM
DroopyDog
Rookie

$26 mill? Nobody is worth that kind of money! Let's see? Pres of USA $400K a year. CEO of Lockheed $26 mill! No wonder things/aircraft cost so much.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:16 AM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by DroopyDog
$26 mill? Nobody is worth that kind of money! Let's see? Pres of USA $400K a year. CEO of Lockheed $26 mill! No wonder things/aircraft cost so much.
Exactly, it's not the line worker draining the accounts it was all the execs, then it was Daimler first who started it after that, they were hurting so they somehow made that BS deal with Chrysler and all they did was empty the cash reserves that were there then started claiming Chrysler was pulling them down and they wanted out.
I have to admit a lot of quality improvements were made when Daimler stepped in like four wheel disc brakes, and big ones too, causing small cars live and Avenger to need and 18 inch wheel. Handling, power, mileage were all improved but nobody noticed. I just bought a 09 HEMI RAM 1500 and brand new it is showing great mileage, we are averaging 22.1 mpg that is 3/4 city 1/4 highway...short stint on expressway. For a 390 HP full size truck, I think it is great.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:37 AM
John Valdes
Veteran

Originally Posted by WVU Fan
Some of you guys are flat out missing the point. I'm not looking for any bailout from Uncle Sam. What I want is what I PAID FOR!! I paid for a 7yr/70,000 mile warranty, you can bet your a$$ that I expect that coverage to be there. That's not looking for a bailout, that's expecting to receive a service that I paid for, period!

For what it's worth, my truck has been to the dealership for warranty service 3 times already in 2 1/2 months of ownership....warranty....yeah...I want it.
Exactly! Not only did you pay for the warranty, you signed a warranty contract. That alone should say it all. It's not a bailout. You should get what you paid for, and the underwriter should fulfill his contract.

The old saying "contracts are made to be broken" has never watched Judge Judy.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:41 AM
qicvick
Professional

we vote on a new contract tomorrow, so far Lockheed after showing huge record profits every year for the last decade has offered the union a 2% raise which is more than offset by huge increace in medical co pay and decreace in coverage, stopping the pension plan, doing away with the monday thru friday 8 hr. 40 hr. week, stopping overtime pay after 8 hours, setting up different days off for union workers so that a full crew will be working sat. and sun. as their regular days to work, decreasing days off for vacation and sickleave, the new defence spending plan has us doubleing the planned delivery of the f 35 which is what we build in ft.worth over the next 5 years, Lockheed came out on top of all the defence spending with an increace, we have a backlog of planes to build for US and other countrys with more projected, winning the 35 was the biggest defence contract for the next 50 years they say,( several thousand to US alone + foreign sales), the union makes up about 10% of the employees at lockheed, we get less vacation,sickleave,medical,pension than salary which 95% never even see the plane, we make lesss than Boeing, mcdonalddouglas, and bell yet last time we went on strike our ceo call us " ungratful bast...ds", we are required by lockheed to pay union dues, we don't have to be in it but dues must be paid, I know some of it is crooked but I think without it we would all be making @ 10.00 an hr 7 days aweek and be driving an 89 instead of an 09 dodge!

Old 04-18-2009, 12:19 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jram99
For those who don't get it, if the govt steps up to warranty someones truck, that's you and me stepping up. The govt doesn't have any money they take it from us. I don't want to warranty anyones truck, and I don't want you warranting mine!
And, when Chrysler has to do warranty work, where do you think that money comes from? I'll give you a hint - they just didn't walk up to the money tree they have growing in front of their corporate office building. It came from the selling price of your truck, and everyone else's vehicle. You and everyone else DID pay for it. Chrysler, in and of itself, doesn't have any money - that's why their a business, so they sell stuff and make money (to dumb it down, they take your money). Pretty much, the cost of warranty work is factored into the vehicle.

Originally Posted by DroopyDog
Can you imagine a UAW working getting the same treatment making half of what they were making? You think there are build issues now?
If they don't want to do a good job, FIRE THEM. If they build crappy cars, that will reflect down the road, and people will not buy cars from that maker. Amazingly, this is the exact situation they are in right now. If they have build quality issues right now, at the wages their being paid, why in the world should we keep them afloat?

I think people need to THINK before they TYPE.
I, personally, don't care if Chrysler goes bankrupt. Maybe some people will learn some lessons about, oh, common sense. (A job that gets you by is better than no job at all.)
I do feel for the people that will actually be effected by this - but they need to realize who to blame -- the greedy union heads and others that don't know when enough is enough.

And, my last thought- why shouldn't GM/Chrysler workers get paid the same as Toyota/Honda workers here in the US?

Old 04-18-2009, 12:59 PM
ramowneratlast

My honest opinion is that Chrysler needs to take the deal with Fiat. One reason is because if they don't all of those employees will be out of work. Two, Chrysler lacks any marketability in the compact car line. Two years ago when I bought a cobalt because I drove 200 miles a day, I looked into Dodge, but did not go with them because they did not carry anything that met my needs. The company's that are doing the best these days have a full line of compact cars that get over 30 mpg. This is an area that needs addressed. Not everyone can afford to drive a gas guzzling hemi like we are. There are a lot of people out there that have no other choice but to go with another company because Chrysler cannot meet their needs. If they would put half the energy that they put into building 5 different jeeps that all look alike, into building 5 different compact cars. They would not be in the situation that they are in now. Chrysler is in this situations due to the fact that they did not pay any attention to the need of the customer.

Quick Reply: Fiat Walks?