4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whats louder? Magnaflows or Flowmasters?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:27 AM
frofro666
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came to get it 1/2 hour before they closed....Before they were so good, even the new car dealers would take new cars there to get custom exhaust done. Not so much anymore.

Last edited by frofro666; 04-23-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:32 AM
lancelanz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frofro666
I get there to pick it up and the factory tips aren't straight. One is sticking out past the bumper more than the other.

when i had my flowmaster original 40 installed it was $186 and they supplied the muffler. i think you got screwed there. they did have to cut the passenger side tip and move it back to line it up where it was stock.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:50 AM
frofro666
Rookie

Ya thats the tip thats stickin out too far.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:04 PM
RGVram99
Professional

Sorry dude, you got ripped off. They must have been charging you union rates. I only paid $98.00 for an 18" Magnaflow (muffler+installation+extra pipe) came out to 105.84 with tax. The shop only took 30 to 45 minutes for the swap and it came out great. Your shop is almost as bad as the dealership.

Last edited by RGVram99; 04-23-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:42 PM
spoon
Professional

RVGRam, where did you take yours? Was it one of the larger chains of workshops?

I am in Houston and wouldnt mind some advise as to where I could take my truck to get the 18" MF installed.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:52 PM
frofro666
Rookie

I got ripped off and its not even done right...yet. I guess that makes up for all the other times I got a good deal.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:06 PM
RGVram99
Professional

I took mine to a local muffler and truck accessory shop called Jessie's. My advice is to take some time and shop around, Houston must have hundreds of muffler and truck shops. Try the yellowpages first, you are looking for a universal 18" to 24" single in/dual out install with extra pipe. Most shops should have the parts in stock and it should be a piece of cake to swap it out. Here is the info I posted when I installed my muffler, hope it helps you with your search. I Have the Lone Star Edition 2 wd Crew Cab Ram 1500 with the hemi and dual exhaust tips out back. The stock muffler is very mild and I wanted mild sound/performance and better gas mileage. I had the work done by a local shop who gave me a choice between a Borla, Flowmaster and Maganflow. The Borla was too pricey so it was between the Flowmaster and the Magnaflow. I love the flowmaster sound at WOT, but they tend to give off too much resonation inside on the highway. I did not want to **** off the wife so I went with the Magnaflow hoping for quite performance. The shop owner gave me a great deal, parts and labor only came out to $98.00 plus tax. First, the stock muffler is huge and weights a ton, at least dodge did us a favor and used clamps to hold it in place instead of welding it. It came off without any cutting. The Magnaflow is an 18" stainless steel universal muffler (#12278 w/lifetime warranty) with a 3" center in and dual 2-1/4" out. I inspected the muffler and it is very light and you can see strait through. Since the Magnaflow is substantially shorter than the stock unit, the shop used a 3" aluminum pipe to bridge the gap. Out back, the factory dual exhaust fit perfectly into the magnaflow dual outs. For the hardcore DIY guys, I could see an easy install at home using clamps if you don't weld. The shop welded it all together and sprayed anti-corrosion paint over the welds. Now to the results, when you turn the key, WOW a hell of a difference. It is loud!! I am glad I did not get the flowmasters, my wife would have killed me!! On the road, performance is slightly better, but the interior noise is substantially higher even with the stock resonators still in place. If you do not like loud noise inside the cab, then KEEP YOUR STOCK MUFFLER!! The sound is cool and I hope to get better gas mileage. However, if I could do it over, I would have asked the shop to order me a longer muffler, I think more material inside would have helped reduce the sound levels. I can only hope that after a few days the muffler will burn in and mellow out. I'll keep you guys posted. Until then, I just have to wake the neighbors when I go down the street

Last edited by RGVram99; 04-23-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:11 PM
spoon
Professional

yeah, too much choice in Houston!
Mine is a 4x2, still the same single in/dual out?

Old 04-23-2009, 04:20 PM
RGVram99
Professional

Should be, do you have the dual tips outback? If so you want to ask for a price quote on a 3" center in /dual 2 1/4" out muffler.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:04 PM
BensGhost
Rookie

We test drove an 05 Hemi yesterday with flowmasters on it and it was just too loud for our ears. It sounded great outside the truck and inside but it just vibrated the eardrums way too much. My wife was crazy about it until she took it down the street. She came back and told the salesman it was just too much.

Quick Reply: Whats louder? Magnaflows or Flowmasters?