4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question on wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Jer_ry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question on wheel alignment

First off sup everyone, got my first dodge truck few weeks back and loving it! I'm going to install a leveling kit on the ram this weekend which alters both the front and back but my question is when i should align it. I am going to use the stock wheel/tire setup for a while but maybe in the next month or 2 i will be getting some 18"s with 33"s so will it be the same alignment if i get it aligned right now with stock wheels or is the alignment going to again be off after the new wheels? I'm just trying to avoid getting it aligned twice, but i am thinking getting it aligned once after the lift kit no matter what wheels are on will be just fine. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 PM
TDTIPMO
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're just throwing a leveling kit on it, it more then likely won't alter the alignment. Even if it does, it won't be off that much and I think you will be fine for the couple months until you swap your wheels and tires. You're definitely gonna want to align after that. Might as well save the money and wait.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Jer_ry

Thanks, nice ride! I can tell your fenders are leveled you did a leveling kit too?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 PM
TDTIPMO
Veteran

Naa man, it's 100% stock in that photo. I'll be throwin a 6" on it though eventually.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Jer_ry

That is crazy it looks like they have the same size gap, are those tow hooks only with hemi models? Mine is 4x4 but it did not come with tow hooks.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 PM
TDTIPMO
Veteran

I'm not sure. I had mine built, so I told them to put them on.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Ryan Albert
Veteran

TRX comes with tow hooks. I would get the truck aligned, I leveled mine and had it aligned the next day. It drove fine, but the analysis of the alignment showed that is was out. It was 60 bucks. It doesn't matter that you are switching wheels/tires.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:57 PM
kddsRam
Veteran

If these are like my 06 F150, I put 2" levelers on front and had to get it aligned, the toe angle was way off.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:01 PM
TDTIPMO
Veteran

Yeah like I said, it might be out a little bit, but if you're wantin to save money and you're gonna get it aligned 2 or 3 months later I think you'll be alright. Especially if you're not gonna keep the old tires. Odd wear will probably occur and maybe a little shimmy in the steering wheel at higher speeds, but that's about it. It's up to you and how bad you wanna save the 60 or 70 bucks to get it aligned. If it was me I would just have to see how it rides after the leveling kit and go from there. If there's extreme shake in the steering wheel then obviously I would get it aligned, but I don't think that's going to be the case.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:12 PM
72combo
Champion

New truck = however many thousands of dollars
Accident cuz steering issue in the rain from an poor aligned truck= however many thousands of dollars plus the insurance increase etc.
Alignment = peace of mind, and safety. Its only 60 bucks.
I get an alignment every year or tire rotation, you never know when parts can go. Remember the Durango recall for ball joints?

Quick Reply: Question on wheel alignment