4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

HID Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:37 PM
mark1963
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Load resistor

Originally Posted by Thatmarkguy
I had this problem with mine and it's a Mopar problem. You need items called cancelers. The power needed for the lights is 55 watts. The power needed for the HIDs are 35 watts - this creates some problem with the electrical system so the cancelers trick the system into thinking that all 55 watts are being used. They just plug in-line between the ballast and light. A battery-direct wiring harness with a relay will not help, you need the cancelers, most HID sellers sell them. That should take care of your problem.

Use the search button there is whole 5 page thread on this problem.
is these cancelers the same as the LOAD RESISTOR, and does it tap into the wire between the ballast & light as well, thats what they gave me with my kit for my 03 ram

Old 10-23-2010, 07:43 PM
mark1963
Default hid resistor

Originally Posted by 528hemii
Hi I just recently purchased black halo CCFL projectors with 2 sets of HID high and low beams and my 2006 ram 1500 sport is doing the same thing, low beams come on ignition on, but in run they flicker then turn off and im a second year mechanic so i took my scanner and had a bunch of stupid irrelevant BCM codes...so i know my problem is the 55 watt and 35 watt thing, i just wanted to ask you, did you ever find the right resistor to put in line ?, and since the HID pulls 35 watts wouldnt i only need a resistor that would pull the remaining 20 needed to make the module think theres 55 being pulled? i hear alot of people say there using 6 ohm 50 watt resistors i was just wondering if thats what you used and are your lights dimmer then before with this resistor ? thanks alot i hope i can get them running soon
here is a number to a company that sells the resistor you are needing, i got one with my sportiva hid kit for my ram 1500, 909-939-4234, good luck,,

Old 10-23-2010, 08:37 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

I've been using the DDM Tuning error correctors for a couple years now on my HID's, and they work flawless at $15.00 a pair.

http://http://www.ddmtuning.com/Prod...minator-3-PAIR

Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Talon_66
Professional

Originally Posted by Twotone
Ok I called the supplier and they didn't know what a cancel kit was, but they gave me a number of a guy who does alot of these kits.

I called him and he knew what my problem was before I even said anything lol (I just gave him a year/make/model)

I guess when the trucks off the IPDM channels power normally but when you start it the computer gets involved and doesn't see the normal 110 draw (55 a side) seeing how the HID's only pull around 35 a side. The computer sees this as a problem and starts freaking out.

He said if I had scanned the truck I probably would have seen the BCM complaining with codes.

So seeing how Ive got the system wired to single relay with one trigger (left headlight) he said to just get resistor and wire it inline on the trigger wire. He said about a 50 watt resistance should do the trick.

Now I just gotta figure out in OHM's how big of resistor I need. Anyone? lol

Plus I guess this is the ultimate test to prove HID's are safe on a stock electrical system, seeing how they do indeed pull less power and produce less heat! I love them they make th truck look way higher end and the light is amazing at night. I drive some country roads and deer problems are a thing of the past!!

I got the Stone White color truck w/ the Two tone Laramie bottom so with the lights the truck looks slick!
Would this still be a problem if someone purchased 55w HIDs instead of 35w?

Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

In my opinion 55 watt lights are just too damn bright for a reflector based headlight, if you were running projector lights there wouldn't be a problem as the light is projected through a focused lens. The reflectors in our trucks and most cars can't direct all that light from a 55 watt setup and it becomes glare to oncoming cars and a reason for the cops to pull you over and at least give you an equipment violation citation for your lights unless they can find other things to bust you on - front tinted windows, too loud exhaust, speeding, driving while intoxicated, etc.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Talon_66
Professional

Originally Posted by Thatmarkguy
In my opinion 55 watt lights are just too damn bright for a reflector based headlight, if you were running projector lights there wouldn't be a problem as the light is projected through a focused lens. The reflectors in our trucks and most cars can't direct all that light from a 55 watt setup and it becomes glare to oncoming cars and a reason for the cops to pull you over and at least give you an equipment violation citation for your lights unless they can find other things to bust you on - front tinted windows, too loud exhaust, speeding, driving while intoxicated, etc.
Im upgrading to Go Recon headlights, so 55W HIDs should fix the HID issue and not be too bright for the projectors.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
RIPSIGUY
Captain

Thread revival here guys. My budy's '09 with quad lights has been driving me crazy with the damn TIPM and load resistors. I purchased a 35w 4500 H10 kit with cancelers that were suppose to give the TIPM the proper load. Well, they didn't work that well. Sometime the lights work, sometimes they don't. The TIPM stores codes for the headlight drivers. What I figuired out is the TIPM sends a pulse-width modulated signal out to the lamps and looks for a certain amperage on a return circuit. So unless you have some type of device that will draw 55 watts and send back 3.5amps to the TIPM (the return wire is the same for high and low beam).

I said "screw this" and wired a relay harness to the license plate lamp circuit (I tapped into it by the TIPM under the hood) to switch the relay on and off, and went directly to battery for the power to the balasts. The lights work flawlessly now, the only down side is the low beams are powered up anytime the parking lamps are on. He runs his headlamps on "Auto" all the time so he doesn't really care. This is much more reliable than trying to "fake out" the "Totally Insane Power Module" to see good signal return.

My $.02.

Last edited by RIPSIGUY; 02-28-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:11 PM
OneSickHemiRam
Rookie

All you need is capacitors. One on each side. They'll fool the ECU into seeing the required wattage/resistance and stop the ECU fail safe from trying to shut the system down. I would still recommend using the battery powered relays in conjunction with the capacitors. Which you can get for $1 a piece at radio shack. I still really don't understand why HID sets are being sold without them to anyone with a 09+ RAM.

Originally Posted by Talon_66
Would this still be a problem if someone purchased 55w HIDs instead of 35w?

From my understanding it's not a guarantee that having a 55W set would cure the issue.

Last edited by OneSickHemiRam; 02-28-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Commando57
Rookie

I don't see why you'd go to so much effort for these "HID's"...I'd like to shoot most people around here that have the fake HID's. On the bright side, (pun intended) they give me something to aim for........

Old 03-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Revo
Professional

Originally Posted by Talon_66
Im upgrading to Go Recon headlights, so 55W HIDs should fix the HID issue and not be too bright for the projectors.
Depends.

HID kits that replace factory halogens have two types. One is just a straight up bulb to replace single mode (single filament) bulbs. The other has a bulb that's within a small metal housing and the bulb shifts slightly forward and back to alter the beam output (the metal housing blocks some, but not all light). This is what allows a HID bulb (which just puts out light and doesn't offer different filaments) to have a high and low function on vehicles that need it.

Any time it's a high-low type HID setup, there's a control unit. This control unit detects that you have switched from low beams to high beams and will shift the bulbs. However, there is always a built-in relay in these types. With a relay, you use a small current source to open a circuit that supports higher current sources. Basically, your headlight plug is the small source and it opens up a circuit straight from the battery to your headlights. So if your car is trying to detect the load on your bulbs it'll see a very small load and think something is wrong.

The single function bulbs typically do not come with a relay. You need to buy them separately. So it is possible for the power to come straight out of the headlight harness, and it may provide the proper amount of load.

I'm not sure how the recon headlights work. I think they are a projectors? Projectors use a single bulb that's always lit and the projector adjusts the light output independently, so if you got HIDs without a relay harness, it is possible it would work.

Quick Reply: HID Install