4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

HID Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Twotone
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry HID Install

Installing HID units into my Laramie Crew.

Did the Fog lights with no issue whatsoever...

Now the Low beams ouch (Im leaving the DRL/High beams alone)

Got the kit all hooked up and works perfectly with the truck off. As soon as I start the truck they wig right out blinking and fluttering...

K fine so I tapped the harness and installed a Battery direct relay using the low beam feed as a trigger.

Worked GREAT for a week, now the relay buzzes and they flicker again..tried a new relay no results...

WTH is going on with the power sent to the factory bulb when you start the truck??? I understand they get juice from the IPDM but still!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:51 PM
TheBayouCity
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you buy the kit from?

Old 05-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

I had this problem with mine and it's a Mopar problem. You need items called cancelers. The power needed for the lights is 55 watts. The power needed for the HIDs are 35 watts - this creates some problem with the electrical system so the cancelers trick the system into thinking that all 55 watts are being used. They just plug in-line between the ballast and light. A battery-direct wiring harness with a relay will not help, you need the cancelers, most HID sellers sell them. That should take care of your problem.

Use the search button there is whole 5 page thread on this problem.

Last edited by Thatmarkguy; 05-08-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Twotone
Rookie

I own a shop so I bought the kits from a wholesaler (HID Silver Eagles)

Cancelers Huh! Ive never heard of em and thats probably why my HID don't work LOL

I'll make some calls today here and get this resolved. Once its all completed I'll post some pic's if anyones interested.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Twotone
Rookie

Ok I called the supplier and they didn't know what a cancel kit was, but they gave me a number of a guy who does alot of these kits.

I called him and he knew what my problem was before I even said anything lol (I just gave him a year/make/model)

I guess when the trucks off the IPDM channels power normally but when you start it the computer gets involved and doesn't see the normal 110 draw (55 a side) seeing how the HID's only pull around 35 a side. The computer sees this as a problem and starts freaking out.

He said if I had scanned the truck I probably would have seen the BCM complaining with codes.

So seeing how Ive got the system wired to single relay with one trigger (left headlight) he said to just get resistor and wire it inline on the trigger wire. He said about a 50 watt resistance should do the trick.

Now I just gotta figure out in OHM's how big of resistor I need. Anyone? lol

Plus I guess this is the ultimate test to prove HID's are safe on a stock electrical system, seeing how they do indeed pull less power and produce less heat! I love them they make th truck look way higher end and the light is amazing at night. I drive some country roads and deer problems are a thing of the past!!

I got the Stone White color truck w/ the Two tone Laramie bottom so with the lights the truck looks slick!

Old 05-09-2009, 01:39 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Dialed quads up 5 turns & rigged fogs to stay on with highs...plenty bright. Aspen parts

Old 05-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Twotone
Rookie

Ya Aspen parts! Lol My 2004 Durango got the Chrome window sills, Mirrors, and handles that I had to disassemble,repaint then install.

My Durango was Twotone colored black up top and 2006 Porsche Carrera Silver on the side (and handles) w/ a blood burgundy 1/2 stripe separating the colors. I used 2004 solid alumn Ram sport 20" wheels & the hood scoop that we had to remold over my knee to install (Came out nice).

HID lights installed w/ I forget how many relays...LOL (turn signal canceling etc.. ugh)

BUT

I traded her in for this Laramie...so Im trying to get my hotrod back

Old 06-10-2010, 07:44 PM
528hemii
Default HID beams

Hi I just recently purchased black halo CCFL projectors with 2 sets of HID high and low beams and my 2006 ram 1500 sport is doing the same thing, low beams come on ignition on, but in run they flicker then turn off and im a second year mechanic so i took my scanner and had a bunch of stupid irrelevant BCM codes...so i know my problem is the 55 watt and 35 watt thing, i just wanted to ask you, did you ever find the right resistor to put in line ?, and since the HID pulls 35 watts wouldnt i only need a resistor that would pull the remaining 20 needed to make the module think theres 55 being pulled? i hear alot of people say there using 6 ohm 50 watt resistors i was just wondering if thats what you used and are your lights dimmer then before with this resistor ? thanks alot i hope i can get them running soon

Old 06-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

Try these guys for cancelers. http://www.intensehid.com/flicker_h.html

It's a plug and play problem solver.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Attono
Veteran

Well, going back some years in my electronics training, to get a 20 watt drop, ohms=volts squared/watts, so 12 volts squared over the desired 20 watt drop = 144/20 = 7.2 ohms. If my math is right, it should drop about 1.6 amps at 20 watts.

You can double check me at http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp

Quick Reply: HID Install