4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The Revised MDS Light How-To.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:26 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Revised MDS Light How-To.

If you do this and break something, or if any information posted is wrong, it is not my fault.

The MDS uses four lifters that "lock out" and keep the valves from opening and closing on the cylinders that are disabled. The wires that can be used are as follows. Cylinder 1 = BR/WHT. Cylinder 4 = BR/LB. Cylinder 6 = BR/DG. Cylinder 7 = BR/OR. The harness plug can be found at the back of the intake manifold on the drivers side.

I just took a solid core wire and pushed it into the back side of the connector. I know this is not the preferred method, but it allows me to take it off when I want to go to the dealer for something. I don't want them to ask me any questions.

First. Loosen the worm clamp and pull off the intake tube.

Second. Slide the red button out and then press down the black tab shown by the yellow arrow and pull the connector from the sensor. Then, loosen the worm clamp and remove the intake tube and set aside.

Third. Pull off the engine cover. It just pops off, there are no screws or bolts. Then, find the wire of choice (Cylinder 1 = BR/WHT. Cylinder 4 = BR/LB. Cylinder 6 = BR/DG. Cylinder 7 = BR/OR) in the connector shown. The wire goes underneath the intake manifold into one of the MDS connectors. I pushed a solid wire into the connector shown, on the back where the wire enters it. I did not solder or cut anything. I want this to be easily removable.

This is a picture of the wire in the connector.

Fourth. I drilled a small hole and put an LED in there. I wired one side to the LED and grounded the other side. This panel pops out after the three screws are removed.

I ran the wire through the nipple underneath where the big bundle of wires goes through the firewall. I poked a small hole with my knife.

I grounded the LED with this bolt.

I drove from Iowa to New Jersey and at 75 mph and it came on a few times when going down hill.

Any questions? Post here or PM me.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:35 PM
HemiRAMV8
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice howto there.

I take it some RAMs don't have the EVIC indicator? It can be turned off on mine, I believe.

Anyhoo, I drive about 25 miles each way to work, mostly on Interstate. In moving traffic, the Fuel Saver indicator only really goes off when accelerating, or going up steeper grades. On a shallow uphill, it still manages to stay on.

I guess what I am trying to say is that on a long trip (Iowa-NJ) I'd expect it permanently on, more or less.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:40 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker

Thanks for the write up sarguy

Old 05-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Ironsides
Professional

Originally Posted by HemiRAMV8
I take it some RAMs don't have the EVIC indicator?
Is that true? I know there's an option in the EVIC setup to toggle the 'Fuel Saver' display, do some Rams not have the display at all?

Old 05-12-2009, 01:51 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Nice howto there.

I take it some RAMs don't have the EVIC indicator? It can be turned off on mine, I believe.

Anyhoo, I drive about 25 miles each way to work, mostly on Interstate. In moving traffic, the Fuel Saver indicator only really goes off when accelerating, or going up steeper grades. On a shallow uphill, it still manages to stay on.

I guess what I am trying to say is that on a long trip (Iowa-NJ) I'd expect it permanently on, more or less.
At 75, I don't think it is going to stay on.

I have the EVIC, but the early model 2009's do not have the fuel saver light.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM
j-rod82
Rookie

Originally Posted by sarguy01

Or the locking tailgate ... we got the shaft

Old 05-12-2009, 02:28 PM
HemiRAMV8
Professional

Originally Posted by sarguy01

Ah yes, I missed the speed. I believe it's only effective up to 70 or so on the RAM, at least.

The EVIC thing really is pi$$ poor though. My wife's 2008 Aspen has a HEMI, and has the MDS indicator in the EVIC (Although it's an overhead EVIC). I would think that the RAM's actual display is capable of it, just not the software. In which case, it's a software upgrade that's necessary, not drilling the dash, like you had to.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:06 PM
mheath

I would think that it would just be software, but of course when I asked the dealer about that they just had the "deer in the headlights" look.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:39 PM
BOFslime
Rookie

Nice howto there.

I'm about 30 miles of interstate to work and this doesn't happen for me at all. I've tried a few different speeds from 50-70, and can only get the 'fuel saver' indicator to display if i'm going down hill, or decelerating ever so slightly, never ever have I seen it while maintaining a cruise at any of these speeds (I have seen it while maintaining 45mph). I have a really steady foot, I've seen the indicator come on while driving slightly down hill (very slight), but when I put the cruise on, the indicator went out.

I would otherwise assume it was a gimick feature if people weren't posting that they see it on full time with the cruise set at 70mph on the flat. I live in florida, its very flat here and I simply am not seeing this. ~900 miles on my truck atm, I was hoping it was just a break in thing, but I don't think thats the case.

Never the less I'm gonna put more miles on and see how things go after the first oil change, maybe I just have a tight motor.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Inbred
Professional

it's not just software, there was a hardware change.

Even if you are not an early build, you won't have a light if you don't have an EVIC. Not all trucks have an EVIC.

Quick Reply: The Revised MDS Light How-To.