4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need MDS answers

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 04:13 PM
spoon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rarely get the light in the city unless a roll up towards a light. On the highway however, I see it on frequently!

Old 05-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Chaosrawn
Professional

Finc.jb:
Are you only checking while headed West? Wind may play a large roll, esp. on the wide open spaces.

Last edited by Chaosrawn; 05-14-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Shumdit
Professional

Originally Posted by HemiRAMV8
I'm totally satisfied with the MDS on my 4x2 Laramie, only rarely do I notice the MDS going in or out. Seems like my truck has the "golden" config of drive/transmission/rear end for the system. However, it didnt say on the window sticker what the final drive ratio is, and this seems to be key. How do I find that out? For completeness, it's a 4x2 Laramie with HEMI (obviously), March 09 build.

You would have the 3.55 if you do not see a $375 option on the sticker for the 3.92 Anti-Spin Diff.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 AM
HemiRAMV8
Professional

Originally Posted by Shumdit
You would have the 3.55 if you do not see a $375 option on the sticker for the 3.92 Anti-Spin Diff.
Thank you kindly Sir!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:18 AM
DwRam
Professional
Default MDS Function

Originally Posted by seigell
MDS is definitely "sensitive to engine load" but quite active, even with 4x4 and 3.92 and 20" wheels. It comes on under "light load" (not just coasting or downhills), and if one "babies the throttle" (pretend an egg under your foot) you can even manage minor accelleration without dropping out of MDS. On local freeways at 65-75, it usually drops out of MDS while climbing out of underpasses (2-3% slope). And by 75, it is rather hard to find MDS under even flat conditions.
My build is 4/09 so all the interim design changes are over - in fact with the Bankruptcy / Factory Closures my RamBox may be a "Limited Edition".
My build date and options are the same as seigell quoted here. FWIW, I've noticed the same function of MDS as seigell. We only have 300 miles on the truck. And we have averaged 13.0 MPG hand calculated. I notice the "FUEL SAVER" light on while driving around town when around or over 30 mpg with light pedal pressure. Pretending there is an egg on the pedal is key. But I admit it is really hard to do that all the time. This truck is just to much fun to drive.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:54 AM
DavidNM
Rookie

Originally Posted by DwRam
My build date and options are the same as seigell quoted here. FWIW, I've noticed the same function of MDS as seigell. We only have 300 miles on the truck. And we have averaged 13.0 MPG hand calculated. I notice the "FUEL SAVER" light on while driving around town when around or over 30 mpg with light pedal pressure. Pretending there is an egg on the pedal is key. But I admit it is really hard to do that all the time. This truck is just to much fun to drive.
It's all about averages. Don't look for the light - instead look for the averages. Here's a couple of things that I've discovered re the MDS:

1. It does work - but is only noticeable with the 3.92 gear ratio trucks. On the 3.55's - it's very hard to notice.
2. It will kick in when coasting, driving down hills and steady freeway driving.
3. Wind does make a difference. I traveled 250 miles down I-40 in the Western US on Monday - had a headwind - averaged 16.4 mpg. I traveled the same 250 miles in reverse yesterday - no wind - averaged 19.9 mpg (I have a tonneau cover).
4. You really can't control the MDS well. While you can try to drive like you have an 'egg' on the peddle, if you do you'll have to apply even more pressure to speed up, etc. which will offset any MDS savings.

Lastly - I'm thinking of turning the MDS light off. Why would I want to know? What good is it? If I just drive my truck sanely and appropriately the MDS will kick in when it can and save me gas mileage when it can.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:22 AM
HemiRAMV8
Professional

Originally Posted by DavidNM
It's all about averages. Don't look for the light - instead look for the averages. Here's a couple of things that I've discovered re the MDS:

1. It does work - but is only noticeable with the 3.92 gear ratio trucks. On the 3.55's - it's very hard to notice.
2. It will kick in when coasting, driving down hills and steady freeway driving.
3. Wind does make a difference. I traveled 250 miles down I-40 in the Western US on Monday - had a headwind - averaged 16.4 mpg. I traveled the same 250 miles in reverse yesterday - no wind - averaged 19.9 mpg (I have a tonneau cover).
4. You really can't control the MDS well. While you can try to drive like you have an 'egg' on the peddle, if you do you'll have to apply even more pressure to speed up, etc. which will offset any MDS savings.

Lastly - I'm thinking of turning the MDS light off. Why would I want to know? What good is it? If I just drive my truck sanely and appropriately the MDS will kick in when it can and save me gas mileage when it can.
A good summary, and I agree. It seems I have the 3.55, and I have great difficulty telling whether it's in or out, exactly as the system promises.

Two more points - I had the system engaged at 78 mph indicated this morning, which surprised me. And, cruise control is more effective than imaginary eggs to me. The pedals override the CC if necessary. Between the MDS, tranny & CC, the truck can work out for itself what it needs to be doing far more dynamically than your right foot. That's why they spent so long and so much on the R&D in this wonderful vehicle.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:56 AM
finc.jb
Professional

Originally Posted by Chaosrawn
Finc.jb:
Are you only checking while headed West? Wind may play a large roll, esp. on the wide open spaces.
Well I've driven it N,S,E and West and it doesn't come on while on the highway with or with out the cruise on. Am I bummed? Yes. Will it make me want to get rid of the truck due to gas usage? NO! I keep hoping that the truck needs me to drive more highway miles to get the computer used to them, as almost all miles on the truck have been city.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:39 AM
frofro666
Rookie

My MDS doesn't come above 80km/hr....I only have 2500km on the truck....

Old 05-15-2009, 11:49 AM
DavidNM
Rookie

Originally Posted by finc.jb
Well I've driven it N,S,E and West and it doesn't come on while on the highway with or with out the cruise on. Am I bummed? Yes. Will it make me want to get rid of the truck due to gas usage? NO! I keep hoping that the truck needs me to drive more highway miles to get the computer used to them, as almost all miles on the truck have been city.
This does not appear anywhere in the manual (I just checked), but, it is possible that you do not have this display turned on.

If you have the EVIC (electronic vehicle information center) there is a setting panel that allow you to choose all sorts of options -- if the horn beeps when you lock your truck, if the side windows tilt downward if you put the car into reverse, etc. One of those settings is the Fuel Economy Display. This has to be checked and turned on for it to display in your EVIC when activated. You should probably check that.

Quick Reply: Need MDS answers