4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

You Have To Be Kidding Me!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:35 AM
MMMMRice
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drober30
Started with what I always used, the big open circle type wrench that closes around the filter when you push the handle. Destroyed that.

Went to the store and purchased the filter cup that fits on the bottom of the filter, used a 3/8 ratchet and crushed the filter.

Eventually ran back up to the store and bought the filter wrench that resembles channel locks. That did the trick, with unbelievable muscle!
lol I went through the same process, A friend of mine got it off with the channel lock style, I gave up. I didnt realize they torque oil filters to 90 ft/lbs from the factory

Old 05-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Inbred
Professional

I've done the screwdriver punch a few times over the years, with about a 50% success rate. The other 50% I ended up with just a shredded filter that was even harder to get off.

My method of choice anymore is a rubber strap wrench. Craftsman makes them; not sure who else does. They are like the band clamps, only with a heavy rubber strap instead of a metal band. The friction of the rubber makes all the difference in the world. Getting the strap tight can be a pain though depending on what kind of access you have. Haven't looked at mine yet to see if it will fit; it was the only ticket for overtightened filters in my ford.

Anybody know the purolator filter size offhand (hemi)?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Inbred
Professional

Update, I did my first one last night, and my filter was ridiculously tight as well. The craftsman rubber strap wrench (large size, the red one) was the perfect ticket. Still took a lot of muscle to get it loose, but at least there is ample room to use it. Much better than my f150 was in that regard. On another note, don't try to pull the old filter through the gap in the rear (towards the rack and pinion), you'll end up with a big mess. Take it out through the big gap towards the front. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:48 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Inbred
Update, I did my first one last night, and my filter was ridiculously tight as well. The craftsman rubber strap wrench (large size, the red one) was the perfect ticket. Still took a lot of muscle to get it loose, but at least there is ample room to use it. Much better than my f150 was in that regard. On another note, don't try to pull the old filter through the gap in the rear (towards the rack and pinion), you'll end up with a big mess. Take it out through the big gap towards the front. Don't ask me how I know.
Hmmmm.... I wonder!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see a lot of factory filters welded on. I guess someone is laughing at you guys trying to get them off..

Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 PM
drober30
Veteran

Originally Posted by Parts/Service
I see a lot of factory filters welded on. I guess someone is laughing at you guys trying to get them off..
Yea, that person was my brother who pays $12.95 to get his oil changed and cant understand for the life of him why I would want to do it myself!

Some people just don't get it!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:04 AM
John Valdes
Veteran

Originally Posted by drober30
Yea, that person was my brother who pays $12.95 to get his oil changed and cant understand for the life of him why I would want to do it myself!

Some people just don't get it!
I do just as your brother does. Let THEM change the oil and filter. With the coupons and dealer discount an oil change with filter, fluid check and top off costs about $30 bucks. A well spent $30 IMO. Tire rotations included when indicated. Just to easy for me.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

The local dealer only wants $4.50 if I bring in my own oil and filter. That's a deal to me.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:36 PM
DwRam
Professional
Thumbs up Wicked tight

A friend of mine sells the MagnaFine engine and transmission filters and I wanted to install them since he has a lift. It took three of us taking turns to get that factory oil filter off. Finally had success with the channel lock style pliers. The gasket was stuck to the engine and you could tell it was put on dry and probably over torqued. If you plan on doing your own oil changes. You may want to have the first one done by a shop or dealer. And then make sure they don't put it on to tight. I can get any Dodge Forum member 25% off Magnafine filters if you're interested. Just PM me.

To check them out go to this link.

http://www.bossproductsusa.com/products.html

And a big thanks to drober30 for the heads up on this problem. We were ready for it.

Quick Reply: You Have To Be Kidding Me!