4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

snow plow on a 09 1500

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:38 PM
stealthgoat
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow plow on a 09 1500

Hi Guys,
I hoping someone on here will know the answer to my question. I'm getting ready to pick up my new 2009 dodge ram 1500 4x4 slt crew cab, and I'm wanting to know if any of you guys have put a snow plow set up one of yours yet and if it can be done and will it void the factory warranty, since the 1/2 tons don't came with the snow plow prep package. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Scottyluck
Professional

You can mount a Fisher but it would probably have to be one of the light duty models. The bumper would have to be notched as well. That would cancel the deal for me right there.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:56 PM
stealthgoat
Professional

Do you know how much of the bumper has to be cut out?

Old 06-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Scottyluck
Professional

No, I'm just going by the notes listed on one of the fitment guides on the Fisher website.
But on the Chevys, the bumpers had to be notched for the mounting horns from the part of the plow frame that attatched to the truck. I always hated the way that looked.
The only way I can see it being "clean" is if the horns happened to line up with the lower valance grill and came out through there.
I plowed for years with my F250. All the mounts and electrical connections were clean.
I'm looking forward to not having to be up all night plowing this winter.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:37 PM
stealthgoat
Professional

Yeah, I gave up the commercial plowing also, I'll just be doing a couple of driveways. But I'm thinking if the bumper has to be cut up, that I'm not in the mood to hack up a 40K truck.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:35 PM
B.Kaiser1
Rookie

According to the owners manual that came with my 09 4X4 it cant be done.....It will fire the airbags!

Old 06-08-2009, 03:39 PM
chrisp929
Professional

in the owners manual, it clearly says NOT to mount a snow plow of any type to the '09's ...

Old 06-09-2009, 05:30 PM
stealthgoat
Professional

I just want to update this so if anyone else was wondering the same question,
I did find out for sure that you do not have to notch the bumper itself, they are referring to the valance that is underneath the bumper, The plow dealer told me that some need a slight trim and some don't even come in contact with the plow frame work. They even showed me a mock up setup on a 09 Dodge. Now the only question is the Air bags going off when you catch something when your plowing, this I can't not find anyone who knows one way or the other. We did have one local guy in our town this past winter that had a 1500 09 and was plowing and caught something and it did deploy his air bags, so I don't know if it was a fluke or are these new airbags really easy to trip? and no he do not hit it hard enough that it pushed the plow back into the bumper .

Old 06-09-2009, 05:43 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the manual says no snow plows, I would expect that your warranty would be void for anything that could be caused by plowing. (Transmission failure, transfercase, axles, etc)

Old 06-10-2009, 08:07 AM
stealthgoat
Professional

My local service guys are pretty descend ,They never give me any problems as far as the drive train, with a plow but they did say if the air bags did deploy because of plowing that I would be on my own because that would be kinda hard to explain to the service rep why the bags just went off and no damage to the truck. So I guess for now I'll just leave the truck as it is. It will just have to be a non-snow pusher . Boy you know I really miss the good old days when you could buy a truck and actually use it as a truck.

Quick Reply: snow plow on a 09 1500