4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Damn wheels were stolen!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 02:25 AM
Twotone
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Careful here...

The shop may NOT be liable! Now I'm sure in the States or even province to province this is different but here in Alberta...

If the vehicle is parked INSIDE and there is a theft/vandal/fire the shop is liable because it is in they're care and attention.

IF the vehicle is outside, parking lot rules apply. The shop is NOT liable. We have been through a few of these (thankfully never a break in) but we have a outside parking lot and a fenced compound. Both of which have seen criminal problems.

File a police report immediately and contact your insurance agent..PERIOD.

Unfortunately Ive had to explain this to customers before and after the dust settles have never ran into complications. If you park your car at a mall and its broken into, you can't sue the mall. Same rules apply here. Now the argument is that you left the vehicle with them, however most shops or anywhere for that matter have a Claus or posting that they are not responsible for damage/theft etc... Our outside locked compound is included in this. We have it simply for these reasons of it being a deterent...Now with all the hassle we actually have a nighttime security guard (One of my current staff-nice)

Point is leave this one to the insurance companys...Yours will contact theirs and somewhere in the middle your claim will be satisfied. But do not expect the shop to "take care of it" and watch out for your timing. I believe its 2 weeks to file with the police and therefore also your insurance.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:27 AM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the kind of crap that pisses me off. Sorry about your wheels man.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:43 PM
DON RAMBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I wasn't clear. I DID NOT park my truck in their lot w/ brand new wheels sitting in the bed. THEY DID. They parked it in the far corner of the parking lot furthest away from the door. My part had nothing to do with the fact that they were stolen. As long as it was still in their possession, they are the responsible party.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Ryan Albert
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the complex is on private property than the company is liable, even thought its a parking lot.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:11 AM
Twotone
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I understand, all Im saying is to be careful. Different laws and such make this tricky. Here the shop is not liable even if its in they're care and attention as long as the customer is aware via signage or claus in the repair order. (Thats why Im saying file the report) Now loose articles Ive never had to cross before.

Its not very good of them to park it like that either though, thats BS IMO.

Personally Id park your truck outside during store hours and then inside overnight, but would have kept the loose material inside till pick up, thats just asking for trouble.

I really hope this works out for you.

Quick Reply: Damn wheels were stolen!!