4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Red or white wine with crow

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:45 PM
td_20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sarguy01
40 year old technology? The internal combustion engine has been around since the 19th century. Today's engines are still a crankshaft, pistons, valves, etc. They have changed a lot, but Fiat and all of the others are still updating the same old design that revolves around 4 strokes/cycles. It is not just Chrysler. Chrysler chose to use the name Hemi, yet if you look at the heads of a new Hemi, they are a far cry from hemispherical.

The internal combustion engine is always going to be inefficient.
They are pretty much using of the shelf engine technology from 40 years ago,(expect or mds and now variable valve timing and better pollution control tech) why haven't they updated there engines with direct fuel injection, dual over head cams, ect. They got good proven engines they just need to update them.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:18 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

All of Chrysler's motors have direct injection. The 4.7l has dual overhead cams.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:49 PM
DroopyDog
Rookie

I've owned nothing but mopars for the past 25+ years. I changed that stand 3 weeks ago. Sorry. I don't have any faith in Fiat doing any good for the company. I fear that when times get tough it's for sale again and Fiat takes the technology they wanted with them. Just my narrow minded thoughts.

Last edited by DroopyDog; 06-15-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:51 PM
td_20

Originally Posted by mopowar
All of Chrysler's motors have direct injection. The 4.7l has dual overhead cams.
No they have throttle body injection systems,

In internal combustion engines, gasoline direct injection is a latest variant of fuel injection employed in modern two- and four- stroke petrol engines. The petrol/gasoline is highly pressurised, and injected via a common rail fuel line directly into the combustion chamber of each cylinder, as opposed to conventional multi-point fuel injection that happens in the intake tract, or cylinder port.
In some applications, gasoline direct injection enables a stratified fuel charge (ultra lean burn) combustion for improved fuel efficiency, and reduced emission levels at low load.

Ok they got a new engine but no daul cams in this, daul spark plugs lol

Chrysler’s first truly new V-8 since the 1960s, the “Corsair” 4.7 had better power, gas mileage, and emissions than the 5.2 liter engine it replaced; a new truck V6, the 3.7, was based on it, replacing the 3.9 liter V6 based on the 5.2. The engine was reportedly designed as a replacement for the venerable 4-liter AMC I-6, with the 3.7 to replace the AMC 2.5. EGR and knock sensors were added in 2005.
In 2007 (model year 2008), Chrysler replaced the 4.7 liter V8 with a new version. Power went from 230 hp to 290 hp (and up to 320 lb-feet of torque) with that move; gas mileage went up, and noise and vibration went down. The new 4.7-liter V-8 features 5.7-Hemi features such as two spark plugs per cylinder, with a high 9.8:1 compression ratio, and better port flow; but it has a new slant/squish combustion system design.

Last edited by td_20; 06-15-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:16 AM
jram99
Veteran

"Why hate unions? Unions have raised quality of the work place for all.
The unions didn't do this to dodge, ford, and GM. (but things did need to change now)
The big three put more effort into fighting the government over setting minimal MPG standards then updating their 40 year old engine technology.
Cheap oil is dieing like the dinosaurs did, and if the big 3 don’t change, they will die to. A truck that get 13 mpg probably be worthless if oil go to 200 plus a barrel in 2 years time."

td 20, I guess I should clarify my statement. I just do not see any benefits, as a consumer, of unionism other than higher cost for the same products. I respect all who work hard and take pride in their work, people who do this deserve to be rewarded with better pay, benefits, etc than those who don't work hard or take pride in their work.

Oil will never reach $200/barrel in this country. It has been proven over and over that the US has enough oil to last over a hundred years without ever importing it. Look at the protest from the American public when oil got into $100/bbl range! America will never be energy independant until we come to our senses and realize we need to drill here and not continue to support dicatorships and regimes elsewhere. We do need to pursue viable energy alternatives, but we can't do it at the expense of our economy, people. We need to produce our own energies whether it's oil & gas, wind, sun, nuclear, or what ever we can come up with.

Sorry this was so long, but like most of you I believe in the american worker and his/her abilities. Only faith in America and her people will bring us out of the mess we allowed our govt to put us into. I used to be a "buy American" type also until I realized that govt and yes unions were making that harder and harder to do. The myth that the big 3 are American companies is just not true anymore. Parts are assembled and shipped from all over the world. Govt mandates/taxes combined with union leaders constant cost raising demands have driven companies to farm out jobs to other countries. This isn't a democrat/republican problem, it's an American problem and I have faith we will fix it. We are a patient people but we do have our limits. Jeff.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by td_20
No they have throttle body injection systems,

In internal combustion engines, gasoline direct injection is a latest variant of fuel injection employed in modern two- and four- stroke petrol engines. The petrol/gasoline is highly pressurised, and injected via a common rail fuel line directly into the combustion chamber of each cylinder, as opposed to conventional multi-point fuel injection that happens in the intake tract, or cylinder port.
In some applications, gasoline direct injection enables a stratified fuel charge (ultra lean burn) combustion for improved fuel efficiency, and reduced emission levels at low load.

Ok they got a new engine but no daul cams in this, daul spark plugs lol

Chrysler’s first truly new V-8 since the 1960s, the “Corsair” 4.7 had better power, gas mileage, and emissions than the 5.2 liter engine it replaced; a new truck V6, the 3.7, was based on it, replacing the 3.9 liter V6 based on the 5.2. The engine was reportedly designed as a replacement for the venerable 4-liter AMC I-6, with the 3.7 to replace the AMC 2.5. EGR and knock sensors were added in 2005.
In 2007 (model year 2008), Chrysler replaced the 4.7 liter V8 with a new version. Power went from 230 hp to 290 hp (and up to 320 lb-feet of torque) with that move; gas mileage went up, and noise and vibration went down. The new 4.7-liter V-8 features 5.7-Hemi features such as two spark plugs per cylinder, with a high 9.8:1 compression ratio, and better port flow; but it has a new slant/squish combustion system design.
Try to buy "a" cam for a 4.7l v-8. They have two, one under each valve cover. Atleast our Durango does. Go to KRC's website. Hughes website. Call KRC and tell them that you want to change "the" cam in a 4.7l v-8. Dodges haven't had throttle body injection for a long time. Pop the hood on any one you see and count the injectors. I currently have 6 Dodges.
All of them have an injector per cylinder. They do fire at the top of the valve instead of directly into the cylinder, but, from a "technology" standpoint, that is splitting hairs. When your wiki search says "in some applications" they are talking about small motors with a small bore and stroke that don't have the vacuum at low rpms to efficiently and reliably "suck" all of the fuel into the chamber.

Here is a pic from the service manual of ONE of the cams on a 4.7l v-8.......lol

Attached Thumbnails Red or white wine with crow-116162.jpg  

Last edited by mopowar; 06-16-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:17 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by td_20
They are pretty much using of the shelf engine technology from 40 years ago,(expect or mds and now variable valve timing and better pollution control tech) why haven't they updated there engines with direct fuel injection, dual over head cams, ect. They got good proven engines they just need to update them.
Off the shelf engine technology from 40 years ago would involve a carb or two, a semi-lopey cam, no catalytic converters, possibly solid lifters, etc, etc.

The engines are updated, unless of course MDS, VCT/VVT, electronic throttle bodies, fuel injection, etc, are not your idea of updates.

DESCRIPTION

The 5.7L Eagle engine is equipped with Variable Cam Timing (VCT). This system advances and/or retards the camshaft timing to improve engine performance, mid-range torque, idle quality, fuel economy, and reduce emissions. The VCT assembly is sometimes referred to as a camshaft phaser. The VCT assembly consists of the camshaft sprocket and a timing phaser. The VCT phaser assembly bolts to the camshaft and is serviced as an assembly.

Show me a 40 year old Mopar with this technology.

Just because the engine still only has one cam and uses lifters, pushrods, rockers, does not mean it hasn't been updated. What would be the purpose of dual overhead cams? How much of a difference would it really make?

Last edited by sarguy01; 06-16-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:18 AM
buckarcher
Veteran

Originally Posted by qicvick
I guess I will be eating a lot of crow for a while, reading some of my past post you will see that I am 100% buy America when I can, I have argued that even if your Honda or Toyoto was build here in the states and the local community benifited, the big money went to foreign countrys therefore hurting the US, I still believe that as I drive my new 2009 fiat laramie crewcab, now do I change my tune or eat crow for the next 3 years? does it taste better cold or hot,fried or baked!
Don't know much about crow, but I ate a bunch of big moths one night. didn't need wine just a lot of beer.

Remember to thank your fatass, lazy, selfish union members for the destruction of our economy.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:00 AM
qicvick
Professional

I think the trick is to drink the beer or wine ( a lot of it) before trying the crow, that way you don't dry heave! Still taking a lot of ribbing, remember I was very anti Toyoto, Honda, Nission, and that other ?...... oh yea, Fiat

Old 06-17-2009, 11:47 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

You have a 2009 Truck. Realistically, it should last you atleast 8-10 years. Why not wait and see how things pan out before going to the dark side?

Quick Reply: Red or white wine with crow