4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

iPod Integration Cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:01 AM
jvcougar
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpd224
jvcougar;

I have looked under my dash behind the glove box and I can not for the life of me find the cover on the side of the dash that houses the module. Is there a picture anywhere, I'm sure it's there and I'm just blind. Thanks
Open the passenger door and there's a cover on the side of the dash just inside of the door opening. This is where you'll find the plastic cover. Pull it off and the module is right there.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:03 AM
tbagr

FYI, had the dealer install the cable for me (have RER MyGig). Charged me $40 for install and $87 for the cable. My time farting around with the install is worth more than $40 so I had them do it.....not to mention if I broke something then I have to replace it. Works GREAT. I have two iPods with the same music on them so I leave one plugged in all the time (a classic) and the other for activities. Highly recommend! Also, for those with radar detectors, invisicord.com cable is the best, especially for $16! I know, different topic, different thread but had to mention.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Mpd224
Rookie

I When i get home I will take some pictures to make sure I am pulling the right panel, but when I pulled the panel on the side of the dash there is nothing behind it but a metal frame. I don't know it makes a difference but originally the truck came with the RES radio and I had the dealer install the REN radio. I never had UConnect with the RES.

Originally Posted by jvcougar
Open the passenger door and there's a cover on the side of the dash just inside of the door opening. This is where you'll find the plastic cover. Pull it off and the module is right there.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 PM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mpd224
I When i get home I will take some pictures to make sure I am pulling the right panel, but when I pulled the panel on the side of the dash there is nothing behind it but a metal frame. I don't know it makes a difference but originally the truck came with the RES radio and I had the dealer install the REN radio. I never had UConnect with the RES.
No uconnect - no module
you may be able to plug it into the rear of the head unit. There is a female plug that the iPod cord will physically fit into. On the ren units, the plug goes to the uconnect module (plinkner module).
Best thing to do is take it to the dealer. The only problem there being that most don't the first thing about how to make them compatable with the iPods.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:49 AM
jvcougar
Amateur

Mpd224...sorry dude, I thought you had uconnect. I believe you can make it happen if you can get your hands on a unconnect kit that comes with the 5064449AF module. Then you can add the 82211263 cable and it should work. The RER guys have it so easy....one cable.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:41 PM
War Horse
All Star

Got the cable kit in from MOPAR today. Thanks to Cougar's tips and documentation the install was a breeze. It only took me about an hour and I had everything up and running. The RER unit really is simple to upgrade. In fact the hardest two things about the install was getting the chrome ring from around the shifter (seemed like it was going to break), and getting the two screws loose under the A/C controls. I'm guessing the screws were put on with an air driver, cause they were a bitch to get loose.

Someone asked before how long the cable is and if it'd route to the center console. The answer is yes, the cable is plenty long enough that you could take it to basically any compartment you'd like. I wanted to mount the cable through to the deep center console bin, but for the life of me couldn't figure out how to get it out to drill the hole. I thought it was just the 4 screws you see in the bin, but after taking those out it seemed more like the entire rest of the console was sitting on top of that bin. In the end I routed the cable through an existing hole in the back if the little tray below the A/C controls. The end fits through there and it's large enough that you can pull the cable out or feed it back in if you want. This setup probably wouldn't be too hot if you're using an iPod you leave in the truck all the time, but since I have an iPhone, I'll never leave it in the truck when I get out. So, the placement is actually convenient to grab and go.

Last edited by War Horse; 07-13-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:55 AM
War Horse
All Star

I just wanted to post up a quick note on what the iPod/iPhone cable can and can’t do, in case anyone was wondering. I have a iPhone 3G running 3.0 software, so I assume that my results would be the same for iPhone EDGE, iPod Touch, and the new iPhone 3GS. As soon as you get the cable in, the radio will recognize it and put an iPod soft button to the right of the HDD, DVD, and AUX buttons.

When you connect the iPhone, the button becomes selectable. From here the interface looks very similar to the HDD browse menu. There are a couple of additions it seems, in the form of a button for Podcasts and Audiobooks. With the various buttons you can find songs via the artist, the song name, or the album. I haven’t seen a search area, so finding a single song on an iPod/iPhone packed to the gills with music could take some time. I also tried some of the voice recognition options, but they are few and far between. I’m not sure how many there are in the HDD mode, but for the iPhone they’re whittled down to just previous track and next track. I’m not even sure why they’re there since just those two functions are useless and can be done a lot faster with the steering controls or the seek buttons on the radio face. Oh, and the radio can also see any playlists you have on your iPhone, so that should help if you use playlists to string together several albums/songs from various artists.

The video functions of the iPhone/iPod do not work at all with the radio and this cable. I mentioned that the radio can see your Podcasts, which it will play any Podcast you have. It’ll even see and play video Podcasts, but there won’t be any video, you’ll get the audio only. Even with the truck in park, there’s still no way to see the video like you can in the DVD area with a DVD movie. I’m not sure at this point if getting video is hackable with say the Lockpick or some other device, but if I find out anything else I’ll post the information up.

As with a lot of the accessories built for iPods, when you plug in an iPhone, you’ll get the message on your iPhone display telling you the accessory wasn’t built for the iPhone, and it’s suggested that you turn off the phone functionality while using it to reduce interference. Just ignore the message and leave the phone on. I tested for quite some time last night, and not once did I get any interference. I surfed the web, sent emails, and played games on the iPhone, all while it was connected to the radio and streaming music. Not once did I get a sizzle or crackle. I also tested incoming and outgoing phone calls. During an incoming call the music would be paused and the radio’s Uconnect feature would kick in letting me know about the call. After the call was done, the radio would go back to playing the last song, and at the last point before the call came in. Placing an outgoing call was just the same. Hit the Uconnect button and the music pauses and the Uconnect works like normal.

Another nice feature to the cable is that it’ll charge your iPod/iPhone. The radio will also keep charging, even when the truck is off, the key is removed and the radio is completely off. So, if you keep your iPod in the truck, it should have a full charge whenever you disconnect it.

I think that’s it for now. I’ve had a couple people PM me for pictures on where I put the cable. I’ll try to get a picture later today and post it up in this thread.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:00 PM
09SportRam
Amateur
Question RES Radio, Uconnet and ipod cable

All this talk about ipod cables, I haven’t read anything about the RES radio.
I have the RES radio with uconnet. Is there a cable for this setup.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:33 AM
ch3wie
Default Confused Now - RER and REN iPod cable

Ok. I have read this thread to see about the capability of iPod control on my 09 Laramie with the REN radio. I DO have uConnect and have it working fine with my iPhone for incoming and outgoing calls.

What I am confused about is what is needed to connect my iPhone 3GS to my REN w/ uconnect. It looks like with a REN system without uconnect, you need to buy the iPod adapter box. Is this also the case with a REN that has the uconnect feature? I am unable to locate a connector adapter by the passenger side door.

Also, can someone put instructions/pics on removing the center console to get to the radio? I would also like to consider installing a LockPick while I am at it.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:31 PM
P90XCoach
Amateur

Okay, I just finished installing the i-Pod integration cable and even though it is a pretty straight forward install, the instructions are worthless. Plus, just an little FYI, make sure you pull the trim off around the 12-volt plug and take the screw out. It took me a good 20 minutes to figure that one out. After all said and done, I am looking forward to many happy miles with the tunes.

Robert

Quick Reply: iPod Integration Cable